CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock Tech (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   dawn in MT slicks (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=71245)

kansas stocker 10-15-2018 05:16 PM

dawn in MT slicks

Am going tubeless. Do I need to paint the insides and let them sit for a day or two or mount them immediately?
Thanks.
Pete

X-TECH MAN 10-15-2018 06:23 PM

Re: dawn in MT slicks

Quote:

Originally Posted by kansas stocker (Post 575009)
Am going tubeless. Do I need to paint the insides and let them sit for a day or two or mount them immediately?
Thanks.
Pete

I always did that with Firestones but that was in the late 1970's around 1977-78. I used Dawn liquid dish washing soap. Some use Palmolive.

Ed Wright 10-15-2018 07:04 PM

I always painted my old Firestones, still leaked some. I have run my MT radials tubless for six years now, doing nothing to them. Seldom have to correct air pressure all weekend. The set on the car now won't loose enough to measure in a couple of weeks.

Mike Jones 10-15-2018 07:20 PM

Do you screw them to the rims without tubes?
I have a set of rims with holes already, that I ran with tubes in.
Would like to go tubeless myself
Thanks, Mike

Dragsinger 10-15-2018 07:28 PM

Mike, with one set of wheels I filled the screw holes with JB Weld. I applied tape inside the bead area and "packed" the JB each hole with a small wooden dowel. They held air fine and stayed in service for several more seasons.

Eman 10-15-2018 11:06 PM

I'm a Palmolive man myself. It does work and for the ease and cost of it why not? I just put new Hoosiers on and did it, why not? I don't use screws just wipe the rim and bead with acetone before filling and if you want you can spray the bead with hair spray, it help prevent them slipping on the rim. I've never filled the holes but use a scotchbrite on a die grinder to remove any burrs. I've used wheels with holes and never filled them and run tubeless with no problem.

Kevin Panzino 10-16-2018 12:00 AM

Not sure what the story behind this is. I’ve had Hoosiers for 5 years that don’t leak a bit without any dish detergent. Heck my front runners are worse.

Ed Wright 10-16-2018 02:15 PM

I never drilled my wheels for screws. Fronts are tubeless, never leak.

Coleydog 10-16-2018 04:12 PM

I think the screws where for the 5-6 pounds of air run in slicks back in the day, now it's 20 or more.?

So they wouldn't spin. thought that was obvious.

Hacksaw 10-16-2018 04:21 PM

The screws were necessary to stop the tire from spinning on the rim and then tearing out the valve stem of the tube. Then 20 or so years ago the tires got better and I think they slightly changed the profile of the outer edged of the rim, everybody went tubeless and no more issues. Hooray!