CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Speedwin engineering (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=25983)

jeffdej 05-25-2010 11:07 AM

Speedwin engineering

Anyone remember this shop in Haupauge LI, NY? I had a couple of cars worked there in the early 70s. I was a kid, but I thought they were pretty impressive. Cnat find anything about them other than that the owner relocated to Sounthern CA.
memories?

art leong 05-25-2010 11:39 AM

Re: Speedwin engineering

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffdej (Post 189132)
Anyone remember this shop in Haupauge LI, NY? I had a couple of cars worked there in the early 70s. I was a kid, but I thought they were pretty impressive. Cnat find anything about them other than that the owner relocated to Sounthern CA.
memories?

Speedwin was owned by Joe Jill. He went bankrupt in about 1978 (give or take a year). We went to the auction and bought a few items.

Philip Saran 05-25-2010 02:12 PM

Joe Jill ownes Superior Automotive in Anaheim CA, it is off Magnolia south
of the 91 Fwy.

If you google "Superior Automotive" you will bring up their website.

Tony Janes 05-25-2010 03:06 PM

Quite a few pictures of the old Speedwin automotive hanging on the wall at Superior Automotive, also some pictures from Long Island Raceway

mopar68 06-08-2010 05:35 AM

Here's a blast from the (very cool) past...

http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/9...edwinad.th.jpg

M68

Lew Silverman 06-08-2010 08:40 AM

Growing up on the Island in the late 50's and early 60's, I remember Speedwin very well. I used to go visit Joe and his Mom and Dad at the original location in Mineola. At one time, Speedwin had the only Sun Distributor Machine machine in the area, and the knowledge to use it properly! I think I had my flathead distributor "tuned" there! :D

Paul Ceasrine 06-08-2010 09:00 AM

Nice Ad,
Competition Valve Jobs $125,
Joe Jill also built Charlie Castaldo's Hemi engine in his first
S/S 68' Hemi Dart.
PC

Joejill 08-16-2012 03:22 PM

Speedwin Automotive Engineering in Happauge Long Island closed in 1978 due to the illness of Joe Jill Sr. He retired to Florida, opened a couple of transmission franchises, then subsequently moved to California and opened Superior Automotive Engineering with his son, now located in Placentia. He never declared bankruptcy. The buyer originally scheduled to purchase the business in Long Island, lost his financing and since Joe had already purchased a franchise in Florida that was ready to open, he held the auction in order to get to Florida as planned.

art leong 08-16-2012 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joejill (Post 341095)
Speedwin Automotive Engineering in Happauge Long Island closed in 1978 due to the illness of Joe Jill Sr. He retired to Florida, opened a couple of transmission franchises, then subsequently moved to California and opened Superior Automotive Engineering with his son, now located in Placentia. He never declared bankruptcy. The buyer originally scheduled to purchase the business in Long Island, lost his financing and since Joe had already purchased a franchise in Florida that was ready to open, he held the auction in order to get to Florida as planned.

Glad to hear that.
That explains why if the auctioneer didn't get to the price they wanted on some items they didn't sell them. We bought a couple of cylinder heads but most of the stuff was over our head.

Ed Fernandez 08-17-2012 02:00 AM

Who owned the AMX that ran out of there?