CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock Tech (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Lightweight batteries (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=72754)

Maxie fury 64 04-11-2019 10:24 AM

Lightweight batteries

Wanting others opinions and experiences. Bought a Braille lightweight battery beginning of last season. The 17lb model.
Worked fine for most of the season but by the end of the year it left me stranded at fuel check a couple times. Just doesn’t have the same power it did at first. Are the odyssey batteries any better and last longer or any other brands?
It’s a stocker, six pack car. Any insight would be appreciated,

RJ Sledge 04-11-2019 10:42 AM

Re: Lightweight batteries

Check alt output, install volt meter, should read at least 13 volt, larger crank pulley and make sure belt doesn't slip, keep the battery charged up between rounds. Small East Coast Elec mini was a good choice for me.

I've run the 9lb and the 21lb, always a problem with the 9lb at scales, switched to 21lb and really never had a problem.

watch your battery usage before and after run while waiting at scales. run the pump/fan for short periods intervals (2 minutes) and then let it sit for a while, do it again. Leaving it on for more than 5 minutes just puts drain on battery voltage.

Good Luck
RJ

e vassar 04-11-2019 10:54 AM

What RJ said about the east coast alt it's a good one. I did try a braille batt a few years ago.after almost a whole season of bracket racing,my opinion would be the battery and charger are not durable enough to hold up to life in a race car,especially an F. I. car. Your not going to be excited about how light it is when you're car wont start in the semis.

Tom Goldman 04-11-2019 11:33 AM

Like RJ said, the East Coast Ultra Mini is my first choice for all the Stockers I build.
You might want to check out Anti Gravity Batteries . Their L Ion batteries are very dependable .
One other thing I would check is the master disconnect if you have one . ... I've seen several in the last few years that developed high resistance after a few minuets of use resulting in a voltage drop. Many of the older and a lot of the newer switches are only rated at 25 - 30 amps continuous .

Rsmith38 04-12-2019 07:57 AM

The lighter batteries (the powersports and Breiles are made by East Penn) work but will leave you stranded at the scales or other spot sometime. I finally went with a 450 amp 30 lb battery - It starts every time. I don't have a weight problem and the 10 lbs difference has no effect on ET.

Larry Hill 04-12-2019 08:12 AM

I use two 11# Braille use 2-3 years then replace. My alternator works. Always check connections for being tight.

curtis reed 04-12-2019 08:31 AM

Are you guys keeping a battery tender on them in between races? If not I believe you really should. I'm only a bracket racer and I do run a 55amp alternator but my battery gets lots of abuse from the amount of times I start the car at double race days many times making 10-14 passes a day. I never charge at the track either.

The last battery I had in the car was in there 8 years. It's still going on my trailer tongue running the jack and my trailer radio. I have a new Odyssey in it now going on it's 3rd year and it's the same exact plate design as the old one. Granted they aren't the small lightweight batteries but the tender on 24/7 when it's sitting keeps them topped off and de-sulfated so whatever battery you use will work better and last longer. Just my experience.

Curtis

Maxie fury 64 04-12-2019 10:09 AM

Thankyou for the advice, I’ll check into it

Greg Hill 04-13-2019 12:55 PM

We use two of the Odyssey batteries that weigh around 25 lbs. each plus run a East Coast small alternator. I think this is year 4 coming up on the batteries. No problems.

Altronics 05-27-2019 02:32 PM

4 Year full warranty!

https://www.altronicsinc.com/media/t...-image-pro.jpg