CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Class Racer Builds (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   79 Mustang project U/SA (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=59346)

black88coupe 05-16-2016 07:21 AM

Re: 79 Mustang project U/SA

Looks like it's coming along nicely. Congrats.

RobbieRacer 05-19-2016 10:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Long day yesterday. I took the day off and welded in my frame connectors. It took longer than I thought it would.
Body work and paint next. It will be the first time I ever painted a car but I want to do this myself. Stressful but fun.

Dave Muller 05-19-2016 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobbieRacer (Post 503803)
Long day yesterday. I took the day off and welded in my frame connectors. It took longer than I thought it would.
Body work and paint next. It will be the first time I ever painted a car but I want to do this myself. Stressful but fun.

To me paint is just slightly less stressful than starting a new engine for the first time. But I enjoyed doing it.

I should probably send you a list of all the painting mistakes I made! You wouldn't want to repeat them. I can also probably pull together some articles and/or DVDs on painting for you.

RobbieRacer 05-19-2016 02:13 PM

That would be a huge help, Thanks Dave.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Muller (Post 503812)
To me paint is just slightly less stressful than starting a new engine for the first time. But I enjoyed doing it.

I should probably send you a list of all the painting mistakes I made! You wouldn't want to repeat them. I can also probably pull together some articles and/or DVDs on painting for you.

Jeff Stout 05-19-2016 04:11 PM

Watching youtube videos from THE GUNMAN helped a lot. I still made plenty of mistakes but were fixable.
1)Plenty of lighting above and on the ground a must.
2)Fresh filtered air in (swap cooler)and a place to let it evacuate out.
3)Practice spray on metal with metal laying down and standing up.
4)Have someone help you with the air hose getting twisted up and touching car.
5)Don't think that small areas that could use more prep will be covered with lots of paint and clear. It wont, work the areas until satisfied in primer before color.

Im sure there are 100 more tips but these are what I did or wish I did.

RobbieRacer 07-21-2016 08:03 AM

It's been a long time, so it's time for an update. It's been too darn hot outside to work on the body work but I have a body and paint class i'm taking at the end of the month to make sure I'm doing it right.
I got my block and crank back form the machine shop so they are ready to go. Also got new pistons and rods for the motor and the heads are almost done, so I am making some head way.

Dan Fahey 07-21-2016 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobbieRacer (Post 509605)
It's been a long time, so it's time for an update. It's been too darn hot outside to work on the body work but I have a body and paint class i'm taking at the end of the month to make sure I'm doing it right.
I got my block and crank back form the machine shop so they are ready to go. Also got new pistons and rods for the motor and the heads are almost done, so I am making some head way.

So you and AL Mack are going to attempt setting the record in the high 11's :rolleyes:

d

RobbieRacer 07-21-2016 01:09 PM

I would be very happy with 1.1 under. That's what i'm shooting for.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Fahey (Post 509616)
So you and AL Mack are going to attempt setting the record in the high 11's :rolleyes:

d

RobbieRacer 07-24-2016 02:04 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Getting a little more done before it gets to hot today. Painting the interior plastic and vinyl parts from red to black. It looking pretty good so far. The car would look weird Yellow and Black with a RED interior.

Mark Yacavone 07-24-2016 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobbieRacer (Post 509605)

Good progress,Robbie.
Is Tibor doing the heads? Haven't talked to him in a while.