CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Class Racer Builds (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   C4 Corvette build for Superstock I-J-K (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=65013)

Robert Simpson 01-27-2017 08:32 AM

Re: C4 Corvette build for Superstock I-J-K

Ernie, great build it looks amazing. I do have a question. I am not familiar with c4's, do they have a full frame to start with? Also the material and height of the floor between the rear tubs, since its fiberglass you do not have to use this? I am not being critical at all I am just curious. Thank you and I hope you have a very speedy recovery.

Ernie Neal 01-27-2017 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Simpson (Post 525194)
Ernie, great build it looks amazing. I do have a question. I am not familiar with c4's, do they have a full frame to start with? Also the material and height of the floor between the rear tubs, since its fiberglass you do not have to use this? I am not being critical at all I am just curious. Thank you and I hope you have a very speedy recovery.

Robert,
first of all thank you, much appreciated.
They sort of have a frame at least out front and the rockers are beefy but, I think it is referred to as the bird cage on a Corvette. The fiberglass is molded to that birdcage (somehow). The rear portion of the frame was smaller and lighter (where the rear suspension was). An aluminum frame work attached to that to connect rear bumper and a saddle for fuel tank. I think the spare tire was under that too.
You must maintain the rear frame rail top height and storage floor (trunk if you will) as well. I was told (Tech guy) to use metal sheeting in the back to replace the fiberglass. The same applies for the wheel tubs. In the passenger compartment. the front half of the floor is fiberglass and the rear part (where the seats go) is metal.
Hope this answer your questions, if not let me know.

Ernie Neal
SS354

chopperloco 01-27-2017 04:04 PM

WOW!!! Very nicely done!
Dom

Ernie Neal 01-27-2017 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chopperloco (Post 525223)
WOW!!! Very nicely done!
Dom

Thanks Dom, I try

Ernie

Ernie Neal 01-28-2017 07:23 AM

9 Attachment(s)
Most of these are of wheel tubs, enjoy!

Ernie Neal 01-28-2017 09:51 PM

9 Attachment(s)
more wheel tub fun on these and start of my lowered spindle using Mark Williams brakes

MAURICE BLENDHEIM 01-28-2017 10:00 PM

Looks great Ernie. You and your son are building the car? MB.

Ernie Neal 01-28-2017 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAURICE BLENDHEIM (Post 525318)
Looks great Ernie. You and your son are building the car? MB.

Thank you
Mostly me, my son has done all of the welding on the cage. I had it all bent and fitted before taking it to my son's shop. David has been on other projects mostly building headers. However, I did the headers on the Corvette. David welded up the rear end housing and back brace. He welded the four link brackets and shock mounts. He welded the wishbone as well. It left his shop after we got it to that point.

Ernie
SS354

Ernie Neal 01-29-2017 10:23 AM

9 Attachment(s)
some more photos of the Mark Williams brakes I used on my lowered spindle position. The kit is for an 82-92 Camaro, less mounting brackets. AJE had these spindle stubs in stock. And the plates are now available at Cole Technologies, ask for David. The finished product has a backer plate of 3/16" on the through bolts.

couple of pics of the heater box cover

I drew the holes for the plug wires to go through the motorplate with enough resistance pushing them to retain them in place. The waterjet cutting was done by my good friend David Tincher. I did 7 designs on this, but we decided to go with this one.

Brake line tubing to the passenger side protected from the damper, plus some of the other little jump tubes.

jims5600 01-29-2017 02:30 PM

Ernie you are doing a awesome job! I have had 4 C4 street cars and have
a soft spot in my heart for those. Really like the fact you made up a spindle.
Well done.
It is great that you have all these photos of your build. Not just for us to
look over and drool! Will be nice to show people when the time comes to
sell and move on.
Best of luck on this build
Jimmy