CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock Tech (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Schubeck lifters (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=51434)

Jim Hanig 10-25-2015 06:56 PM

Re: Schubeck lifters

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Dinkel (Post 481380)
Jim, I have been running them for years with no problems. Installed 5 or 6 cams and ran them flat out.

I believe you some guys have ran them for years and no trouble,but when one goes its real costly it can be subeck or smith

Bruce Noland 10-25-2015 10:24 PM

I jumped on the Schubeck lifters as soon as they hit the market. Ran them until last year. I, too, was a big supporter of this style lifter. But, dodged a bullet last year when two of them came apart. And damn if I didn't get talked into buying the Smith lifters and that mistake cost me $10,000.00. No more of that crap for me.

John Duzac 10-25-2015 10:48 PM

I have an old set of Schubeck lifters in one of my engines. They work fine. Then I built another engine and used Smith lifters and on the nInth run I broke two lifters, which caused severe damage to the block and 4 Pistons. From that moment on, Smith lifters was never to be used again. From now on I use tool steel coated lifters. They will not come apart and destroy the engine. I cannot imagine how anyone would take a chance on using a part in their engine that so many people had trouble with. Some people never have trouble with them.

shownote 10-29-2015 02:14 PM

Is it possible to go from shubeck lifters to tool steel coated and still use the same cam.

Dan Fahey 10-29-2015 02:56 PM

BTW what engines are breaking?

Is there a trend...?
A Chevy, Ford or Chrysler? BB, SB, Medium Block if that exists.
Which Engine seems to be breaking most often?

Do not think this is happening to Roller Lifters?
At least I did not hear of any so far.

Dan

bob shirley 10-29-2015 03:44 PM

I had one break in my lt1.made a mess

Alan Roehrich 10-29-2015 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shownote (Post 486415)
Is it possible to go from shubeck lifters to tool steel coated and still use the same cam.

If the cam in question is a steel core cam, yes, you can. If the cam in question is a cast iron core cam, do not run DLC coated lifters on it.

GTX JOHN 10-30-2015 01:04 AM

The answer is I have heard of all brands and sizes of engines sometimes
have problems with Schubeck lifters. I think more problems with solid lifters than hyd. lifters. My hunch is the problem may be with the solid lifter unloaded from any preload while on heel of cam. I alway put a few thou
more preload than normal with Schubecks.

Larry Hill 10-31-2015 01:44 PM

Its been more relaxing this weekend driving a car with roller lifters, I'm not having to worry about idle RPM and oil splash.