CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock Tech (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Roller Rockers in Stock (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=11011)

Patrick Kelliher 05-23-2008 12:08 PM

Roller Rockers in Stock

Some have suggested that roller rockers be allowed on all cars in stock to reduce breakage.

Bill Grubbs 05-23-2008 03:57 PM

Re: Roller Rockers in Stock

Let's just move to Super Stock and get it over with.

Or better yet, go race IHRA. Nothing against IHRA, but the rule is already there.

Stop changing the rules (or trying to change the rules)!

Mark Ruset 05-23-2008 04:42 PM

Bill
I am with you 100% , but what I think is the bigger picture is the eventual combining of classes into a new super stock . It's a shame we either keep our cars the way they are right now or we will all suffer the consequences.

Mark Callanan 05-23-2008 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Grubbs (Post 70066)
Let's just move to Super Stock and get it over with.

Or better yet, go race IHRA. Nothing against IHRA, but the rule is already there.

Stop changing the rules (or trying to change the rules)!

Well said Bill
If you keep changing it there will be no more stock(I am sure some feel there isnt now....)

CrateCamaro 05-23-2008 08:38 PM

I made the change and ran the roller deal and it made no difference what so ever. I think it might have fell off:) Stamped steel forever!!

John Duzac 05-23-2008 09:36 PM

I know the stock stamped steel rockers are what is legal in stock and I also realize that the more after market parts allowed, the closer stock gets to super stock. However, when considering the cost of an engine due to rocker arm failure, for that reason I am for changing the rules and allowing after market rocker arms. I also know stock rocker arms will perform as well as after market. The only reason I would consider changing to after market rocker arms is they are much stronger and they last for years.

greg fulk 05-24-2008 02:03 AM

I'll add a little more (don't kill me). Not everyone runs a small block chevy...that being said rockers are or can be very hard to find. My 230 I6 the only way I could get rocker arms for it was go to NAPA I could get a box with a rocker piviot ball & nut. I would have to order about 3 dozen to get a set that was close...even then I had the cam grinder grind in extra lift to get it close to what was legal! Of course they make roller rockers for the inline.

Jeff Lee 05-24-2008 03:12 AM

I have a bucket of NOS AMC rockers. Once I found a source, I bought everything the guy had. I found the aftermarket rockers (standard replacement, Sealed Power, TRW, etc.) we're not built with the same rockwell hardness as per OEM and as a result, they would pull the cup out of the base (were the rocker ball sits. AMC rocker is virtuall identical in appearance to SBC, just longer) almost immediately. Cryogenic treatment did not help. Neither did heat treatments and coatings. The NOS units faired much better and didn't require prep work. Ever hear the phrase "old iron is better than old iron"?
And I've talked to plenty of racer's on this subject. It's a problem with BBC, Fords of all sizes, AMC, GM...basically anything that uses a stamped rocker that rides on a stud. As I said on the other post regarding this subject, there are cure's for some makes. But you might spend 3x the cost of a set of Crane Gold roller rockers.
What's really intersting to me is the lack of responses to the post I made regarding "killer" valve-train parts and costs elsewhere on this forum.

Alan Roehrich 05-24-2008 08:07 AM

We're not killing rockers. We broke a stud before we put the Holroyd stuff on but no rockers. We've got over 2 years on these. Yes, we run killer springs. We might break a rocker today, but we haven't yet. But yes, the stud caused catastrophic damage, we lost a whole engine.

stock eliminator 05-24-2008 09:00 PM

I know a lot of people against roller rockers but why not use the hydraulic roller rockers from Comp. Cams and not the mech. roller rockers. I think the way prices are for building these motors and gas to get to the track we should all vote for reliablity keeping things together and not worry about stock class cars are knocking on the door of super stock! my 2 cents! also we should allow larger studs because of spring pressures. And another thing if you want to run pure stock they have it in IHRA. Not trying to start trouble just my say.