CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock Tech (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Ford 302 questions (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=73561)

Dragrac419 07-10-2019 06:38 PM

Ford 302 questions

I'm in the process of building a new motor for a 1989 Mustang and wanted to know is it worth looking for the below Cylinder Head? If so does anyone have any leads on finding them as I have tried searching the net with no luck. I think I have a lead on one head at a cylinder remanufacturing company but that is all at this time.
F1ZZ-B

Also is there any difference in the below intake manifolds?
E7ZE-CB Aluminum Upper
E8ZE-EA Aluminum Upper
F0ZE-AA Aluminum Upper

Larry Hill 07-11-2019 07:25 AM

Re: Ford 302 questions

Buy them, try them, put them on a shelf. With the cast ones that's how it worked.

fordteacherguy 07-11-2019 08:07 AM

I looked into this part# quite a long time ago and had one of my Ford dealer try to track it down....the F1ZZ-B wasn't a valid number for a 302 head and didn't exist. The only legal head I know of available is the E7TE in stock.

BRETV 07-11-2019 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fordteacherguy (Post 592204)
I looked into this part# quite a long time ago and had one of my Ford dealer try to track it down....the F1ZZ-B wasn't a valid number for a 302 head and didn't exist. The only legal head I know of available is the E7TE in stock.

Not true. I had the F1ZZ head on my Superstock car I just sold. There are some sets out there. I had a guy in California that had a couple sets. I should have bought all of them. It is better than the E7TE head.

Bret Velde
2003 FS/?

HawkBrosMav 07-11-2019 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRETV (Post 592206)
Not true. I had the F1ZZ head on my Superstock car I just sold. There are some sets out there. I had a guy in California that had a couple sets. I should have bought all of them. It is better than the E7TE head.

Bret Velde
2003 FS/?

I’d love to see a picture showing these beads actually exist.. I’ve spent years looking talked to many ford contacts and have never found the number to be legit. At one point the only feasible suggestion was that they were used as a replacement only head at the dealerships at one point.. which made no sense. To me it might have been a paperwork number that was never cast on an actual cylinder head.. we gave up on attempting to find them and went another direction..

So I’d love to see an actual picture showing me that number was cast into a head and I didn’t totally waste those years looking haha

BRETV 07-11-2019 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HawkBrosMav (Post 592207)
I’d love to see a picture showing these beads actually exist.. I’ve spent years looking talked to many ford contacts and have never found the number to be legit. At one point the only feasible suggestion was that they were used as a replacement only head at the dealerships at one point.. which made no sense. To me it might have been a paperwork number that was never cast on an actual cylinder head.. we gave up on attempting to find them and went another direction..

So I’d love to see an actual picture showing me that number was cast into a head and I didn’t totally waste those years looking haha

We have been Ford dealers for over 50 years. They are very rare. They were a pre poduction GT40 head that you could buy over the counter. They changed the number in '93 to the F3ZE when they put them on the cobra and lightening F150. You could pick up the phone and call Kuntz, God rest his soul, and he would tell they are real.

Bret Velde
2003 FS/?

Steve Stickel 07-11-2019 11:13 AM

So,

I too , have poked around in search of these heads, and heard some of the same stories as mentioned here. Just now I checked the online NHRA tech sheets and they list the head no longer as the F1ZZ (as the alternative to the E7 head) , but rather as the F1ZE-B. What head is this ? lol ! This must be a recent change as it is highlighted yellow.

PM's Welcomed

BRETV 07-11-2019 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Stickel (Post 592212)
So,

I too , have poked around in search of these heads, and heard some of the same stories as mentioned here. Just now I checked the online NHRA tech sheets and they list the head no longer as the F1ZZ (as the alternative to the E7 head) , but rather as the F1ZE-B. What head is this ? lol ! This must be a recent change as it is highlighted yellow.

PM's Welcomed

Sorry, My mind is full of coyote numbers trying to finish this FS car. The casting number is the F1ZE, the part number was the F1ZZ. My heads were the change in the guides. Hope this helps.

Bret Velde
2003 FS/?

FireSale 07-11-2019 11:52 AM

The fourth position in a Ford casting is a "group" ID. Z is factory replacement and E is "engine group" (original part).

F1ZZ and F1ZE should be the same head.

F - '90s
1 - 1st year of 90's
Z - Mustang

'91 Mustang cylinder head.

This might help.

https://www.enginelabs.com/engine-te...sting-numbers/

Steve Stickel 07-17-2019 09:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok ,,, Looks like the part # F1ZZ-6049- B does exist as found in the

Obsolete - Supercede - Interchange Manual FPS 7632-5 January 1994

http://www.fordpartswiki.com/getpage?pageid=158340

http://www.fordpartswiki.com/getpage?pageid=158516

appears to be the superseded part # for a 87 and a 90 truck head, E7, and F0, and given a Mustang designation as F1ZZ-B .

Curious to know what it looks like, NHRA tech sheets has the casting # as F1ZE- B , however, I don't see any published runner volumes , valve sizes, chambers, etc...