CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock Tech (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Help!! Engine Miss (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=35941)

KRatcliff 06-06-2012 09:54 AM

Re: Help!! Engine Miss

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Lisson (Post 330072)
You mentioned in one of the posts recently it does rev up freely without load? You need to take this to a drag strip and get after it.

Also, i would verify your alternator is working properly along with a seperate ground wire from the alternator to the head. I know what your thinking, it's bolted to the block...

It is funny you mention that. I bought 100' of the braided ground strap material from Ebay. Do you know how far 100' will go?

Lets just say that if I ever crash my car, I won't die from the impact. It will be from strangulation. :eek:

Ben Kallies 06-06-2012 01:11 PM

Tim,

Leakdown test was performed cold. Engine hasn't been run in 2 weeks.

-Ben

Tim Lisson 06-06-2012 01:40 PM

Ben,

First of all, I'm no expert so take this for what it's worth....

1) After dyno session, did you back the rockers off when it sat until you got it in the car?

2) When I do a leak down, I typically run the car up to 140-150 then attempt to zip through the test with warm cylinders. The cylinders that are over 5% I would smoke test, go by a cheap cigar and have it over the carb/intake opening and exhaust port/ header tube when performing this scientific test... don't laugh, it works.

Other than everything else mentioned, get it to a track or bring it up north. My trans builder has a chassis dyno and has had many BBC on it. Sounds like a fun mystery!

Tim

Alan Roehrich 06-06-2012 01:42 PM

Now the chassis dyno sounds like an excellent idea, that's even better than track time. you test the whole car, and you can hook diagnostic equipment to it and then duplicate the problem.

Ben Kallies 06-06-2012 05:11 PM

I've actually been thinking about the chassis dyno idea for a couple of weeks now. There's a speed shop with an in-ground dyno about 10 miles from my house. I'm not certain how experienced the operators are in terms of diagnostic abilities, but at the very least, I'd be able to see how it responds at full throttle under load.

-Ben

Arnold Greene 06-06-2012 11:52 PM

Ben, make sure you have plenty of clutch pressure before you put it on the chassis dyno. Good luck.

Ben Kallies 06-07-2012 04:35 AM

Arnold,

Thank you. I wouldn't have thought of that.

SC321X 06-07-2012 01:13 PM

Have you looked at the valves to make sure they all open the same as you bump over the motor(no mess that way) If they all seem to open all the way chances the cam is ok. If this car is an automatic I would unbolt the torqconverter and see what difference that makes. make sure you push it back out of he flywheel. :cool:

MikeMoller 06-07-2012 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben Kallies (Post 330050)
OK, so the leakdown test is done. I checked each cylinder twice with the same results each time. Results are as follows:

cyl 1 12%
cyl 8 10%
cyl 7 11%
cyl 3 7%
cyl 6 5%
cyl 5 12%
cyl 4 11%
cyl 2 8%

It's my impression that these results are good. Thoughts, comments? Is a compression test still necessary, or do these results verify the health of the engine?

Thanks,

-Ben

Run a compression test anyway. If you have a flatttened cam lobe-particularly intake- the compression may show low on that/those cylinders. Happened to me on a brand new motor.

Mike Moller

Gary Wiegand 06-11-2012 10:33 AM

Hi Ben,

This is my first reply on this site, so hopefully I get it done correctly.
Before I describe a similar situation which I had, trying to chase down a "miss" in the engine, and what was causing it, I have one question; do you have a spacer plate below your carburetor?