CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock Tech (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Legal Heads for SS/modified (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=72138)

odds&ends1762 02-03-2019 04:08 PM

Legal Heads for SS/modified

So I acquired a couple new combination possibilities. One is a 315" sbc that was originally in a C/EA car in the early 90's. Has Pontiac aluminum heads and composite Intake from Brandywine. Its all fresh, just old technology and it was cheap enough to try it out. I believe Brodix cast them back in the day for NASCAR or something. Are these a legal head for say SS/BS or CS? Also, I have a top end complete SB2.2 for this shortblock after I change the necessary components. I was also wondering where that would fit in. If It would be legal in BS or would I have to go into say BM? I have sent a email to tech, but I have not received an answer. Just curious if anyone could help me out.

Thank you
Cory

FireSale 02-03-2019 05:04 PM

Re: Legal Heads for SS/modified

SS/CS is cast iron in line valve heads only. Aftermarket heads need to be on the NHRA Accepted Product List. GM and Pontiac are listed separately so I don't know if you can run Pontiac heads on a Chevy. The national record holder in CS is a 302 Ford running NASCAR iron short track heads. They aren't listed but have a factory part number.

Aftermarket aluminum heads, inline or canted, are allowed in SS/BS. Watch out for the Hancock and Lane car from D6 if you build this.

EDIT: I had difficulty getting responses from tech out here on the West coast for Super Stock Modified classes too. I didn't go ahead with my build until I found the Canadian car I referenced above on Facebook, CR and in the NHRA record book. It's a weight to HP group with few engine and valve restrictions.

LB Racing 3179 02-03-2019 05:36 PM

The Pontiac heads were made for the small block Chevy and are legal in Modified. I use the Buick head on a small block Chevy which is legal in SS Modified

LB Racing 3179 02-03-2019 05:49 PM

The Aluminum heads would be legal in SS/BS.

SSDiv6 02-03-2019 06:43 PM

Can run SS/BS with either cylinder head, or run SS/AS with the SB2.2.
Can also run SS/AM thru SS/FM with both heads.
Canted valve allowed also in SS/AM and SS/BM.
SB2.2 is a splayed valved head, not canted.

Adger Smith 02-04-2019 03:52 AM

I think the 2016 Div 4 SS champ ran a small cu in SB.2 engine in SS/BS.
Two sets of headers came with the car. Looks like a 15-18 deg set and an SB.2 set.

R Lowry 02-04-2019 08:58 AM

SB2 is a canted, not splayed.

odds&ends1762 02-04-2019 09:44 AM

Thank you for all your replies. I really appreciate the info. Now to get it together and make some noise

SSDiv6 02-04-2019 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R Lowry (Post 581613)
SB2 is a canted, not splayed.

He is asking about the SB2.2, not the SB2.

SB2 valve angles are 12° x 4° Intake and 8° x 0° Exhaust and considered Canted.

The SB2.2 valve angles are 11° x 4° Intake and 8° x 0° Exhaust and considered Splayed with all the intake ports pointing towards the center of the cylinder head.

The 8° Exhaust valve angles towards the intake manifold just like a normal wedge cylinder head.

R Lowry 02-04-2019 05:50 PM

Thanks, did not know that!