CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Class Racer Builds (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   79 Mustang project U/SA (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=59346)

RobbieRacer 09-01-2015 08:22 AM

79 Mustang project U/SA

4 Attachment(s)
Well here it is, I'm finaly getting to start my U/SA project.
1979 Mustang, 302 2V, auto.
It's the first stocker i have ever built.
Thanks to Billy Nees for helping me deside what to build. It was a toss up between a Maverick, 78 Fairmont, 78 Mustang and 79 Mustang.
I picked this car up in Vegas for $700. Nice clean rust free body, never been in a crash. It's a V6 car but thats no big deal. The guy I bought it from was the 2nd owner.His brother was the first owner, so i know the cars history.
I still need to sell my 67 Mustang bracket car to fund this one but there is Lots of cheap and free stuff I can do till then.I have built a few bracket cars so I plan to do as much as I can myself.I'm really looking foward to this one!
My first project was the rear bumper. The muffler tip had come loose and burned the bumper cover. i found one for $40 and changed that before i ever pulled it off the trailer. !st job down lots more to go.

Billy Nees 09-01-2015 09:02 AM

Re: 79 Mustang project U/SA

Now for your first step in this project, go back to the yard where you got the bumper cover and find a car with Ghia trim on it. It should only be a couple of badges but it might be a few other things. As your project sits, it is a P/Q/R car. It has to be a Ghia to make U. But that's a good thing! You have a car that can make 4 classes! The more flexible, the better.
Now on to the hard stuff. First of all, do your best to keep it fun! Doing a project that turns into a second job is a sure-fire way of getting discouraged. Second, don't over-spend your budget! Cutting yourself short so that you can't enjoy the other things in life is never a good thing. And last but not least, seek out the advice and help of good people! There are some very knowledgeable people (Yac, the Grahams) in your area that I'm sure would help you if you needed it.
Good luck!

joe huestis 09-01-2015 09:15 AM

Have fun on your build Rob ! Building a U car myself ('78 Camaro type LT - 305 2V). Billy has a wealth of information building lower class stockers and has helped me in one way or another since the early 80's when I was putting my Monza together for T/SA with the 262 combo. Just on hold right now 'til I mend. Fractured my pelvis in 2 places and my hip. Fell off a ladder cutting down a tree in my yard.

RobbieRacer 09-01-2015 09:41 AM

I'm happy to say that this car is a Ghia from the factory.
Billy, is this bumper ok to use? It looks the same as the old one but it looks huge because it's white. I will take my time on this car and not break the bank for sure. It's great news that I can run so many classes. Cool!
Joe, hope you get better fast. have fun with your project too.

black88coupe 09-01-2015 10:20 AM

Cool. Looking forward to seeing this come together.

Dwight Southerland 09-01-2015 10:56 AM

'79 Mustang - good choice.

Jeff Stout 09-01-2015 02:55 PM

Looks like AZ will be the U/sa capital of the country. 3 of them in Phx

Dave Muller 09-01-2015 05:37 PM

Awesome, Rob! I didn't realize you were looking at getting into stock.

I must say, I'll miss the '67 though. You sure had some good times with it.

I'm not sure which one of us will make our debut first but I look forward to seeing you out there.

RobbieRacer 09-02-2015 07:09 AM

Thank Dave, it's something I have been wanting to do for a while now. I look forward to racing you. We always have close races. I plan on running Summit Sportsman with the car too so I'm sure we will be beating each other up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Muller (Post 480906)
Awesome, Rob! I didn't realize you were looking at getting into stock.

I must say, I'll miss the '67 though. You sure had some good times with it.

I'm not sure which one of us will make our debut first but I look forward to seeing you out there.

Nick Heath 09-03-2015 08:49 PM

This is a great project; I can't wait to see where it goes!