CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock Tech (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Front coil spring options? (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=68378)

Nmbr1GMfan 12-02-2017 11:02 PM

Front coil spring options?

Since you guys helped me out so much on my shock questions, I'm starting to wonder about springs. This car ('76 Nova) has cut stock front coils and I was just going to put them back in. Should I "spring" for some good ones? Will it be worth the investment? If so, who do I call? Thanks in advance!

Alan Nyhus 12-03-2017 10:58 AM

Re: Front coil spring options?

Todd, if it was mine, I'd go back together with what was in there, at least to start with. The front shock change may be all you need. Stockers can be fussy with the front springs. But not always. There's a balance between ride height, stored energy (to get the car up) and control when the front end comes down.

Starting with what worked pretty well isn't a totally bad approach. ;) -Al

Nmbr1GMfan 12-03-2017 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Nyhus (Post 550924)
Todd, if it was mine, I'd go back together with what was in there, at least to start with. The front shock change may be all you need. Stockers can be fussy with the front springs. But not always. There's a balance between ride height, stored energy (to get the car up) and control when the front end comes down.

Starting with what worked pretty well isn't a totally bad approach. ;) -Al

Thanks Alan!

David Lee 08-25-2018 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nmbr1GMfan (Post 550962)
Thanks Alan!

Do you know how many coils were cut from the springs?

Thanks

Dave

Painter 08-25-2018 03:42 PM

I would go with the morose small block springs cut to eleven coils. I don't remember how much you cut to get them at eleven. It may sit a little high at first but will settle. Make certain you get the springs in the notches.

David Lee 08-25-2018 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Painter (Post 570721)
I would go with the morose small block springs cut to eleven coils. I don't remember how much you cut to get them at eleven. It may sit a little high at first but will settle. Make certain you get the springs in the notches.

i have a set of the "trick springs". And thanks for informing me of the cut amount. But I would like to find out how much Todd cut, so I can test to see what spring will give me the best result.

gsa612 08-25-2018 06:09 PM

I would go with a Santhuff spring right off the bat.You may have to give them your front end weight.after that there's no cutting involved.They cost a bit more but don't sag after awhile like a moroso. gsa612

J&S Racing 08-25-2018 09:35 PM

I believe santhuff sells Landrum coils....

I went with the 180# springs. I haven't had my car on the ground with the front sheet metal but I bet I end up cutting a coil or 2.

After all the research I did on front springs, the consensus was they store the most energy but running down the track you have that nose high stocker...

MR DERBY CITY 08-26-2018 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J&S Racing (Post 570733)
I believe santhuff sells Landrum coils....

I went with the 180# springs. I haven't had my car on the ground with the front sheet metal but I bet I end up cutting a coil or 2.

After all the research I did on front springs, the consensus was they store the most energy but running down the track you have that nose high stocker...

The reason you buy Landrum springs is to NOT cut a coil or two, They are an excellent spring and are head and shoulders better than the Moroso. If ride height is an issue you don’t have the correct spring BUT, put your torch away.....LOL.....

james schaechter 08-26-2018 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MR DERBY CITY (Post 570810)
The reason you buy Landrum springs is to NOT cut a coil or two, They are an excellent spring and are head and shoulders better than the Moroso. If ride height is an issue you don’t have the correct spring BUT, put your torch away.....LOL.....

If you race a stick car with stock front coil springs or old school chopped morosos you are missing out! As far as cutting, the ones we got could trimmed with a cutoff wheel, but I would not do that unless you would give them some time to settle. Ours did drop a bit. They made a huge difference for us when track conditions were not so good. The springs don’t last forever either.