CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   NHRA allows Alum heads in stock/ss (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=37782)

Ross Family Racing 12-16-2011 04:23 PM

NHRA allows Alum heads in stock/ss

Edelbrock aluminum heads are now allowed on some AMC,Ford,Buick,& Dodge engines. Go to the NHRA racer page for details.
Jeff Ross

Chris DeGidio 12-16-2011 05:03 PM

Re: NHRA allows Alum heads in stock/ss

The 2012 Edelbrock guide states that their Mopar 440 head is legal,but I don't see it listed yet.These heads are really needed and I don't know why NHRA won't list them.

Hopefully Travis can give some details on this.

ppmracing 12-16-2011 05:37 PM

The Mopar 452 Aluminium heads is leagal for the 383 and 440cu.so in that way we dont need the Edelbrock, But that is welcome allso. But i like a "branded heads",,, even if the Mopar heads are made by Edelbrock !!!

Jim Kaekel 12-16-2011 05:39 PM

Don't take the Edelbrock catalog for gospel. It also shows that the Olds head is legal for Stock and Super Stock, however, it is NOT legal for Stock.

Stephen & Horace Johnson 12-16-2011 06:02 PM

Why is there a HP increase for running these heads......Its just a replacement head :D

Ed Carpenter 12-16-2011 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ross Family Racing (Post 299295)
Edelbrock aluminum heads are now allowed on some AMC,Ford,Buick,& Dodge engines. Go to the NHRA racer page for details.
Jeff Ross

Where is the love for the Chevy racer??? LOL

Wade_Owens 12-16-2011 08:09 PM

So, port shape, location, valve size, chamber size and shape, guide diameter, shape and height, etc, are all EXACTLY the same as stock? Outside of aluminum saving some nose weight, why did Edelbrock go to all the trouble?

Tim Ellis 12-16-2011 08:20 PM

They aren't the same configuration as stock heads, at least the small block Ford isn't. It's a Performer RPM head, bigger valves, better ports... I don't think it's a bad idea. A lot more cost effective than paying to build a set of SS heads. Yes I know the argument about escalating mods.

Chris DeGidio 12-16-2011 08:27 PM

The Edelbrock 383-440 Mopar heads are the same as the Mopar "452"aluminum heads Mopar sells thru MP.They are made for Mopar by Edelbrock,and are legal for S/S.The 2012 Flyer has a part number and says they are legal heads.The Edelbrock heads typically are cheaper price wise than the Mopar 452 aluminum heads.

The Eddy and 452 Mopar heads have 2.14 I and 1.81 E valves whereas the OEM iron head are 2.08 I and 1.74 E.

Christopher Stewart 12-16-2011 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Ellis (Post 299355)
They aren't the same configuration as stock heads, at least the small block Ford isn't. It's a Performer RPM head, bigger valves, better ports... I don't think it's a bad idea. A lot more cost effective than paying to build a set of SS heads. Yes I know the argument about escalating mods.

Easier to repair too.