CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Who has raced the same car the longest time (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=22797)

Wade Mahaffey 12-31-2009 10:50 PM

Who has raced the same car the longest time

Who out there has raced the same car for the longest time? Even if the car started in Stock and then moved to Super/Stock. Not everyone gets a new camaro, then a new Grand Am, then a new Cobalt etc. Who out there just could not part ways with his/her baby? Even if the person now campaigns the car in nostalgia. Or, like in my case still has the car but has retired it from racing. The older cars are really cool. How many times have you heard someone say "I wish I still had that car"? That's what I would be saying, but I do still have mine! Even though it was a S/G car....Sorry.
Lets see the then and now photos!

Philip Saran 12-31-2009 11:30 PM

Re: Who has raced the same car the longest time

My friend John Langdon out of divison 6 in Idaho, a lurker on
this board, has raced the same 1970 340 Barracuda stocker for
the last 25+ years. And yes he is brother to Chad (super comp/
super gas/stock) and uncle to Shawn (Top Fuel).

JRyan 12-31-2009 11:39 PM

Ben Wenzel, 1967 Camaro Z-28. Forty-two years and counting in Stock.

Jerry

bill dedman 12-31-2009 11:46 PM

Ted Harbit comes to mind.

Although NHRA legislated his 1951 Studebaker out of competition, (too old for Stock Eliminator,) he'd been racing it for several years before Ben bought that Camaro...

But, Ben's been running that same car in NHRA CLASS competition continuously, I believe, while Ted was forced to change formats; eventually ended up last year, on his head, with two turbos and probably 800+ horsepower (my guess)...

I'd say that was "racing," wouldn't you??

Especially, for a guy in his mid-70s.... :)

Wade Mahaffey 12-31-2009 11:49 PM

We may have a winner...Ben Wenzel with the stay power. Nice job John Langdon as well. How about some photos boys?

You other guys need to post even if you can't match these two....It'll still be cool!

treessavoy 01-01-2010 12:09 AM

Been racing the same '64 plymouth since 1977 but didn't race when the Army sent me to Germany twice.

Think I'll be buried in it.

JimR

bill dedman 01-01-2010 12:31 AM

Does it have the aluminum front end? Can I have it (be a shame to waste that rare part to the corrosive nature of plain old dirt!!!)???

Mike Carr 01-01-2010 12:49 AM

I would guess Dave and Ben Wenzel would be the winner, or close to it.

On a related topic, how many out there/on here are racing cars that they are one-owner cars of, and/or cars that are being raced that have been racecars pretty much their whole life?

A few that come to mind (to the best of my knowledge, I could be wrong on a few, and I apoligize if I'm wrong):
-Bill Davis, current SS/D record holder, has owned his Camaro since new, and only saw the street for a brief period of time before being turned into a SS/G Camaro and raced in the early 1970's, after a pair of big block stick Chevelles.
-I believe Bill Davis, and his then-partner the late Ricky Metz, had a B/S '69 Camaro that is now Doc Watson's SS/DM Camaro.
-I thought I read once that Red LeBlanc is a one-owner of his current SS/G Mustang.
-Maybe Ken Montgomery's Triple Nickle SS/B '65 Plymouth?

Any other good stories to share?

Gary Smith 01-01-2010 01:25 AM

'65 Mustang dad bought new in Dec '65 started racing it in '74, '89 Mustang I bought new in Oct '89? Surprised I haven't been approached by classic car journalists yet.

John Leichtamer Jr 01-01-2010 02:00 AM

Everett Hill In the old Mustang has to be close to the longest time.

Hammer