CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Gatornationals from the past... (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=72465)

jmcarter 03-13-2019 08:26 AM

Gatornationals from the past...

Trivia I suppose but the Gators is indeed a special race. The 50th being celebrated this week is going to have a lot of hoopla (legends in Toyotas? Really NHRA?). I first attended in 1971, driving my little Plymouth all day from Murray, KY to get there and pulled into town late at night at a small two bay gas station (the norm of course 'back in the day'). It appeared to be closed (it was 3AM) but inside was the Mopar Missile and they were crawling all over it. Always known for their hard work that one image has stuck with me all these years. Lots of memories from the Nationals going back to 1967 but my first Gators will always be memorable.

Anyone else with a special Gators memory?

Rich Biebel 03-13-2019 10:28 AM

Re: Gatornationals from the past...

Went as a crew person around 1984. I Drove the tow suburban a lot on the trip down from NJ. Cold up here.....

The weather was fantastic every day. Low 80's, low humidity and you could not ask for a better week of weather.We managed to get to the 4th or 5th round in S/G.

I was standing behind the starting line numerous times watching every category......Pro Stock and Super Stock especially.....I was standing right next to the Grump for some runs out there in Pro Stock....I kept getting as close as I could to the action absorbing it all.....

I was rooting for the red SS/HA Camaro of Wise and Meredith. A very fast car back then...It was doing great wheelstands and went deep in eliminations.....He did not win though......

It was a very memorable event and the group I was with almost left me there !

I was sun drenched and I did not want to leave.....they were rolling thru the pits and I was hanging out watching as long as I could...…

We had a great time...….as we always did.....

I've been there about 3 times and once the weather turned very bad...….Nothing ever matched that first time there.....loved it...

Stewart Way 03-13-2019 12:11 PM

The 1970 Gators was the first race I worked with Buster Couch on his starting line crew. Lot of great memories at the Gators and the other events back then. Think we got $40 for the race. Wish I knew about sun screen and ear plugs back then.

L78 Nova 03-13-2019 01:51 PM

My only time to Gainesville was 1992 ? to watch Bernstein break 300.
Remember it was C C Cold out all week.

Timetraveler 03-13-2019 02:15 PM

Who remembers 2003 when we raced at Orlando?

stock1080 03-13-2019 02:54 PM

2003 Orlando, I was there in my I/S Camaro. Lost in the semi's. Has a great time. Great people. 2006 was the last one I raced at. My favorite class win. tks jeff

Frito 03-13-2019 03:31 PM

1976, traveled in a convoy with Bud & Dewey Cook. Stopped at Barnett's and followed Bagwell on down to the Chrysler test at Bradenton. Lost in class to Sherwood Allen. It was a fun trip even on the way back home for some young KIDS from West Virginia. I have some pics but can't get them to reduce to post.

BRETV 03-13-2019 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timetraveler (Post 584645)

I remember, won class, but not the same in Orlando as it would have been in Gainesville.

Bret Velde
2003 ??

Jim Wahl 03-13-2019 04:53 PM

Anybody else remember not being allowed to stay in the track at night? You had to leave and come back the next day. Jim

Billy Nees 03-13-2019 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timetraveler (Post 584645)

i remember it VERY well Bill.