CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Class Racer Builds (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   1969 Chevelle Build (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=49361)

Andy Friar 09-13-2013 01:18 PM

1969 Chevelle Build

6 Attachment(s)
We are just starting the build on our Chevelle and I wanted to share because I am over the moon excited about it. I have never raced a car, but I have raced deep into the 11's on a Harley and I have been tagging along with my Dad as part of his crew for at least 30 years. (I am 6'4" and my Dad is 5'9" so I stopped fitting in his Super Comp Dragster when I was 15, or at least that was the last time I was allowed to get in it after getting stuck and breaking 2 toggle switches off the dash trying to get out) This Chevelle means a lot to our family. It was originally Jim Endicott's car, my Dad's best friend and one of 2 guys that got him on the track. It was an I/S record holder in the 70's as well as a back to back Track Champion car at the old Tri-City Dragway here in Michigan. It was raced from 1972-1978 when Jim passed and we bought it in 1994 from his wife. We put treaded tires, mufflers and synchros in it, then went to Woodward and other cruise spots. The time has come for me and Dad to go racing again.

Starting next year we will be hitting the local bracket races, with the eventual goal of going H or I/ SA then eventually a 427 engine to run with the big boys in C/SA. Paint and body are untouched since about 1975 , as is most of the car for that matter, and the flat tow brackets will stay on there forever. My Dad is the engine guy and I do the fab, machining, welding stuff. A new floor pan from Auto Metal Direct is waiting in the garage. I just joined this forum and so far I am very happy I did. A lot of knowledge and minimal amounts of ego's floating around in here. Thanks for having me!

Dan Fahey 09-13-2013 01:52 PM

Re: 1969 Chevelle Build

Wow !! What a nice car..
FWIW ...your historical ride would fit perfectly in Pure Stock with what you have and be very competitive..

D

Andy Friar 09-13-2013 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Fahey (Post 399761)
Wow !! What a nice car..
FWIW ...your historical ride would fit perfectly in Pure Stock with what you have and be very competitive..

D

Thanks Dan! I wish there was a 'like' button on here similar to Facebook.:)

Dion Hildebrandt 09-13-2013 02:02 PM

Nice car, one of my favorite years of chevelle. Are you going to keep it a 3 pedal car? the AMD panels are good pieces the floor repair should go pretty well. Keep us in the loop, we need more stockers in the world :)

Charlie A 09-13-2013 04:15 PM

If I see the front fender emblem correctly, this is a 300 series 2 door hardtop!

I have not seen every Chevrolet ever made but I have "NEVER" seen a 300 that wasn't a post sedan, 2dr or 4dr.

Andy Friar 09-13-2013 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dion Hildebrandt (Post 399764)
Nice car, one of my favorite years of chevelle. Are you going to keep it a 3 pedal car? the AMD panels are good pieces the floor repair should go pretty well. Keep us in the loop, we need more stockers in the world :)

Thanks Dion. I would really like to keep it a 'man' pedal car, but we already have all of the hardware to go racing with an automatic and a budget to match the lower parts replacement nature of a slush box car. I will keep updating the build as it progresses.

Andy Friar 09-13-2013 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlie A (Post 399785)
If I see the front fender emblem correctly, this is a 300 series 2 door hardtop!

I have not seen every Chevrolet ever made but I have "NEVER" seen a 300 that wasn't a post sedan, 2dr or 4dr.

I have not either Charlie, but I don't believe that Jim (Original owner) did any badge trickery on this car. It is a factory radio delete car too and was originally the light, snot green color. You have inspired me to do some research and figure out if the 300 was actually offered as a 2 door hardtop. I will let you know what I come up with.

Andy Friar 09-13-2013 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlie A (Post 399785)

According to this website: http://www.devotedtochevelles.com/production.htm they made 3,321 6 cylinder 300 Deluxe Coupes in 1969. I do know that this car started life a 6 cyl auto car. So I guess that it is somewhat rare...cool!

Jeff Lee 09-13-2013 07:11 PM

I like the drivers side. What happened to the passenger side lettering? I wouldn't paint it either. You may be able to drive a stick in it for less than you think. It will be way more fun and cool meter goes hard right.
$2000 - $2500 used Jerico w/ Long shifter
$2100 new complete (clutch PP flywheel) Sportsman 10" with owner consultation ANYTIME
$700 lite-weight spun housing bell
Make Jim proud!

Alan Roehrich 09-13-2013 07:13 PM

It will be a "technicality", but the L-72 427/425 was only available in the Malibu coupe, not the 300 coupe.

The Stock Car Classification Guide apparently does not recognize the 2 door post as being a 2 door sedan in 1969, only the 4 door is listed as a sedan, all 2 door cars are evidently considered coupes.

I had one guy tell me that a 300 post car could legally run the L72 427/425, but several tech officials said no, only a true coupe can run the L72 427/425.

Also, the L72 427/425 in a Chevelle is a natural B car with an automatic and a natural A car with a 4 speed. As a 4 speed car it cannot run in C, it can as an automatic. But I cannot imagine anyone wanting to run at 3995 pounds with an L72 427/425, it would be really hard on parts.

Charlie A 09-13-2013 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Lee (Post 399813)
I like the drivers side. What happened to the passenger side lettering? I wouldn't paint it either. You may be able to drive a stick in it for less than you think. It will be way more fun and cool meter goes hard right.
$2100 new complete (clutch PP flywheel) Sportsman 10" with owner consultation ANYTIME
Make Jim proud!

Looking at the pics, I'm guessing the one with the lettering was an earlier shot than the rest.

Charlie A 09-13-2013 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Roehrich (Post 399814)
It will be a "technicality", but the L-72 427/425 was only available in the Malibu coupe, not the 300 coupe.

The Stock Car Classification Guide apparently does not recognize the 2 door post as being a 2 door sedan in 1969, only the 4 door is listed as a sedan, all 2 door cars are evidently considered coupes.

I had one guy tell me that a 300 post car could legally run the L72 427/425, but several tech officials said no, only a true coupe can run the L72 427/425.

Also, the L72 427/425 in a Chevelle is a natural B car with an automatic and a natural A car with a 4 speed. As a 4 speed car it cannot run in C, it can as an automatic. But I cannot imagine anyone wanting to run at 3995 pounds with an L72 427/425, it would be really hard on parts.

So, if the 427/425 is the desired engine, just stick some malibu emblems on different fenders, the deck lid and I believe the header panel. (keep the original fenders and deck lid, original)

MAURICE BLENDHEIM 09-13-2013 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy (Post 399801)
I have not either Charlie, but I don't believe that Jim (Original owner) did any badge trickery on this car. It is a factory radio delete car too and was originally the light, snot green color. You have inspired me to do some research and figure out if the 300 was actually offered as a 2 door hardtop. I will let you know what I come up with.

Andy... You can save some research time, they did come as a 300 2 door hardtop. I had one, just sold it a couple years ago. I currently have a 1970 300 2door with rubber floor mat, currently building it with a casting number-date code correct aluminum head LS-6 TH-400, 12 bolt with manual 4wheel disc brakes and manual steering and it will remain a 300 with a non-funtional cowl hood. A Chevelle guy pointed out to me, one way to tell if its a 300 is the windshield wipers are visible above the hood line and a Malibu tuck below the hood. A 300 has no Malibu trim what so ever and usually have no drip rail trim. The Canadian cars all had plastic inner fenders. You are starting with a time capsule, are you going to keep it retro. Good Luck with the build. MB.

Dan Nugent 09-13-2013 09:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'll be following your build . We have a similar project. LOL

Charlie A 09-13-2013 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Nugent (Post 399834)
I'll be following your build . We have a similar project. LOL

Bigger+Better=

http://classracer.com/classforum/att...3&d=1379121686

Jeff Lee 09-14-2013 12:21 AM

I like green on these Chevelles

SStockDart 09-14-2013 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Roehrich (Post 399814)

Hey Alan....for what it is worth, I raced a SS427 (425) with a 4 speed in 1972.....the car was a factory 427 (wish I had it back)... It was a Chevelle/Malibu body, Super Sport and we ran it in SS/E.

Alan Roehrich 09-14-2013 03:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SStockDart (Post 399873)
Hey Alan....for what it is worth, I raced a SS427 (425) with a 4 speed in 1972.....the car was a factory 427 (wish I had it back)... It was a Chevelle/Malibu body, Super Sport and we ran it in SS/E.

Maybe the best stocker I ever saw was Harry Vineyard's 69 Chevelle L-72 427/425HP. He drive it with a TH400 in B/SA, and Tucker Parrish drove it with a 4 speed in A/S. Harry offered me that car for $9500 about 25 years ago when he bought Eddie Miranian's 69 Camaro SS/EA from Allen Oakley. Probably the most stupid thing I ever did was not buy that car. At least one of the top 5 mistakes I've made in my life.

Andy Friar 09-14-2013 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Lee (Post 399813)
Make Jim proud!

My Dad removed the lettering after he bought it and ran it on the street. I was against it, but we know how much say a 14 yr old has in stuff like this. I like the vintage paint and 'war wound' scratches and marks, but I will need to do some rust repair on the quarters, front fender bottoms and rear window frame. So a full paint job might have to occur. We are going to add the history of the car to the decklid in a tasteful manner and as a tribute to Jim.

We might run this car as a stick with the 350/255 combo, but not if we ever run the 427. Go big or go home is the mantra I absolutely live by (often to my own detriment), but the break everything, miss races, pouring money into it daily thing possibility of a big block, heavy stick car thing scares me. I am recently engaged, have a 5 yr old and probably another baby within 2 years and my Dad is going to retire in the near future. We are watching our nickels in order to pull this off. Jim is smilling down on this father-son project, I can feel it:D

M&M Motorsports 09-14-2013 01:59 PM

Andy,
I've been following your thread located in the tech section when I decided to take a look at this to see what you were building and how you were coming along. I was very surprised to see the old pictures of your car with the lettering on it. It was done by Barry Wiselogel of Barry's sign shop in Flint, Michigan. He is still in business. As for the sponsor "Tony's Auto Parts", well , that would have been me. I owned the parts store and sponsored the car you have now. Thanks for the pictures. It brought back a lot of good memories.
I will continue to follow your build progress. It's nice to see new folks coming into the sport.
Good Luck!

Mike Meints

stk 2104
s/s 2103

larrylomascolo 09-14-2013 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy (Post 399801)

I also own the same car 300 deluxe hard top factory 250 c.i 3 spd standard on the column no carpet no radio,will post pic soon ,almost the same car,,,,,was ugly gold color

Alan Roehrich 09-14-2013 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy (Post 399893)
My Dad removed the lettering after he bought it and ran it on the street. I was against it, but we know how much say a 14 yr old has in stuff like this. I like the vintage paint and 'war wound' scratches and marks, but I will need to do some rust repair on the quarters, front fender bottoms and rear window frame. So a full paint job might have to occur. We are going to add the history of the car to the decklid in a tasteful manner and as a tribute to Jim.

We might run this car as a stick with the 350/255 combo, but not if we ever run the 427. Go big or go home is the mantra I absolutely live by (often to my own detriment), but the break everything, miss races, pouring money into it daily thing possibility of a big block, heavy stick car thing scares me. I am recently engaged, have a 5 yr old and probably another baby within 2 years and my Dad is going to retire in the near future. We are watching our nickels in order to pull this off. Jim is smilling down on this father-son project, I can feel it:D

If you run the 427/425 as a stick, it is a natural A car, and can run CC. At the weight for those two classes, it shouldn't be real hard on parts. In fact, CC is probably a pretty good class for it, if you look at the stats, you'll not see very many CC/S cars. There are not too many A/S cars, either, and most of the "new" cars don't run a stick.

Greg Reimer 7376 09-14-2013 05:11 PM

Alright. In 68-69 only, a 2 door hardtop 300 series Chevelle definitely exists. I have a '68. It externally differs from a Malibu by the following:
1. Rear panel has no top or bottom molding, and a red white and blue emblem across the center of the rear panel.
2. No molding running the length of the car across the front fender, door and quarter panel either in front of or behind the rear wheel opening.
3.Where the Malibu emblem would be, a simple Chevelle emblem is on the sides of the front fenders behind the front wheel opening.
4.No back up lights in the bumpers. they are in the rear taillights. 300's had different tail light lenses than Malibu's.
The '69 had no rear panel moldings or emblems,either.The 300 emblems on the fenders were legit, some small interior details differed on both cars.
Always make sure your car is in the classification guide before you build it. Nothing worse than having to change a bunch of stuff later.
It's interesting that 69 was the last post Chevelle, but Pontiac and I think Buick made post cars in the 70-72 era as well.
Good luck with what looks like a great project!

Andy Friar 09-15-2013 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Roehrich (Post 399931)
If you run the 427/425 as a stick, it is a natural A car, and can run CC. At the weight for those two classes, it shouldn't be real hard on parts. In fact, CC is probably a pretty good class for it, if you look at the stats, you'll not see very many CC/S cars. There are not too many A/S cars, either, and most of the "new" cars don't run a stick.

That may be the class for us, we can go big and hopefully not totally broke while being competitive. Thanks Alan.

Andy Friar 09-15-2013 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by larrylomascolo (Post 399928)
I also own the same car 300 deluxe hard top factory 250 c.i 3 spd standard on the column no carpet no radio,will post pic soon ,almost the same car,,,,,was ugly gold color

Awesome! I believe our car came with carpet originally because when we got it in 1994, it had light green carpet that was faded to about the same color as the rest of the interior, and worn out. But Jim could have added carpet when first got it too. Either way, it is cool to know that others have this same car. Seeing and hearing about other guys other with the same car as us has inspired to someday have a Chevelle Stocker area at a points meet. We could just all plan ahead to meet at an event and park together...we'll see. :)

Marty Knox 10-14-2013 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy (Post 399987)
Awesome! Seeing and hearing about other guys other with the same car as us has inspired to someday have a Chevelle Stocker area at a points meet. We could just all plan ahead to meet at an event and park together...we'll see. :)

Does an El Camino count as a Chevelle?

Andy Friar 10-16-2013 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marty Knox (Post 404360)
Does an El Camino count as a Chevelle?

Sure, why not. A Chevelle wagon is a still a Chevelle. Maybe El Camino is just Spanish for truck... ya know, a Chevelle Truck. :)

John Nechiporchik 10-21-2013 10:29 AM

Andy, Glad to hear you and dad are dusting off the Chevelle. Looking forward to meeting you at the track. Your dad and I went to college together a few years( more like decades) ago!!
Back in those days I had a 69 Chevelle SS 396/375 street car. Still my all time favorite body style.
Say hello to Terry. Best of luck eith the car.

John

John Nechiporchik 10-21-2013 10:31 AM

Andy, Glad to hear you and dad are dusting off the Chevelle. Looking forward to meeting you at the track. Your dad and I went to college together a few years( more like decades) ago!!
Back in those days I had a 69 Chevelle SS 396/375 street car. Still my all time favorite body style.
Say hello to Terry. Best of luck with the car.

John

Andy Friar 10-22-2013 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Nechiporchik (Post 405266)
Say hello to Terry. Best of luck with the car.

John

John,

Good stuff, I showed Dad your message last night and he says hi back at you. We have been watching from a far as you have been campaigning the stick Firebird this past year. I remember meeting you when I was in probably middle school and you had the shoebox. I think that it was at Norwalk. I am now 7 inches taller than Dad, so if you see my Dad at the track with a 'bodyguard', that's me. We will be out racing next year and we will have to coordinate and pit together and make a day/weekend of it.

-Andy

John Nechiporchik 10-22-2013 11:26 AM

Andy, Sounds like a plan.

Andy Friar 10-22-2013 12:49 PM

3 Attachment(s)
A few more pics of the Chevelle from around 2003 I believe, right after we had Kustoms Inc put the cage in. We went to the National Open last weekend at Indy to check out other setups on A-body's and there wasn't many cars at all, in really any of the classes. Besides the weather there is always the common factors this time of year for low car counts, family, cash flow, breakage, etc. We already have our passes for PRI and a hotel booked to keep the scouting of parts and ideas moving forward.

larrylomascolo 10-29-2013 12:33 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Here are some not so great photos, early ones with Cragar - SS wheels on the street. Front and rear shots changing over to drag car. This was a 250 c.i 300 deluxe model when I purchased it for $150 back in 1979. Color is a 1977 Ford.

Charlie A 10-29-2013 05:16 PM

Groovin' on the green interior!

http://classracer.com/classforum/att...6&d=1382460232

http://classracer.com/classforum/att...7&d=1382460232

Andy Friar 10-30-2013 07:19 AM

I dig your old pics from back in the day Larry. Man...if I could still buy muscle cars, or any car that isn't completely rusted away for $150, I would have a 'real' problem on my hands keeping them going.

Thanks Charlie. This car was originally the baby poop light green color, so with the interior it was that green everywhere. In a couple of years we are going to do a repaint on it and I am pushing for going back to a metallic version of that lighter green.

Terry Friar 12-19-2013 08:59 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Andy is my "baby" boy. We're both excited about this father/son project. I verified the VIN and the car was a 300 V-8 built in KC. Interesting, because I grew up in KC before I came to Michigan to attend college with the likes of John Nechiporchik. I've added recognition to the history of the car on the decklid.

Charlie A 12-20-2013 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrench52 (Post 413193)
Andy is my "baby" boy. We're both excited about this father/son project. I verified the VIN and the car was a 300 V-8 built in KC. Interesting, because I grew up in KC before I came to Michigan to attend college with the likes of John Nechiporchik. I've added recognition to the history of the car on the decklid.

http://classracer.com/classforum/att...3&d=1387501100

http://classracer.com/classforum/att...4&d=1387501100

John Nechiporchik 12-23-2013 12:19 PM

Terry and Andy,
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you guys!
Good luck on the car and hope to see you in 2014 at the track.

Hey Terry.....today is my last day of work as I am retiring after 43.5 years in the Automotive industry!!! August of 1970 when I entered the halls of GMI........On to the next phase!!!!!

John

734-355-1107
send me your number.....

Glenn Hayes 12-23-2013 01:54 PM

Such an great story and build, Please keep the updates and pictures coming.

MICROMACHINE72 12-23-2013 03:51 PM

GREAT THREAD! look forward to reading more. Just wondering, what was the record for I/S in those days? High 12's?? My old man has many trophy's from New York National back in the day, (I think is was AHRA) he won the summer-nationals in 1972, 69 Chevelle SS-396/375 stick car high 11's. Not sure what class he ran, he can't remember! He said thought it was formula stock or something?? Anyway, and just wondering as I don't know much about stock class racing, but how can a 69 Chevelle run a 427? I thought the 396 was the largest BBC available in a factory car? Was it a special option over the counter not factory installed?? Good luck on your build and Merry Christmas!