CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Support Tech (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   classic dominator siding screws (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=64685)

jimmyparker 12-17-2016 03:02 PM

classic dominator siding screws

Attempting to replace fenders on a Classic Dominator trailer and found the screws to be in between 1.5 and 2.0 torx bits, I have several sets of bits and nothing between these two sizes nor does McMaster Carr supply show anything in the middle. Any ideas?

Thanks
Jimmy Parker

Painter 12-17-2016 03:30 PM

Re: classic dominator siding screws

Jimmy the screws on both of my Classic trailers have been double square. Square bits work fine, sorry but cant remember what they call the size.

FED 387 12-17-2016 04:03 PM

They're are called Robertson. Find them in the home improvement centers H Depot- Lowes etc.

Sean Marconette 12-17-2016 10:28 PM

It is not a torx bit, I have a classic trailer and as the other guys have pointed out a square bit is all you need. In the hardware store like HD, deck screws have single square heads. That is the bit that you need.

Sean

jimmyparker 12-18-2016 01:13 PM

Thanks for the help, a #2 square did the job although it didn't make sense to me!!

FED 387 12-18-2016 01:53 PM

They use that style of drive because you can drive the screw in from an odd angle and also they do not strip out the square drive area like a Phillips drive will. FES 387

Hacksaw 12-18-2016 01:59 PM

That screw head was designed by a Canadian named Robertson somewhere in the 1950's. Four sizes matched to a colour. Smallest being yellow, then green, red and black. Never got popular in the States but they really work well, stay on the end of your driver bit and don't strip easily.

Painter 12-18-2016 05:06 PM

We saw a lot of them in the marine industry in late 50s and the sixtys. Good fastener, lots better than a phillips. Still see them a lot in the electrical industry.

340Cuda 12-21-2016 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hacksaw (Post 522682)
That screw head was designed by a Canadian named Robertson somewhere in the 1950's. Four sizes matched to a colour. Smallest being yellow, then green, red and black. Never got popular in the States but they really work well, stay on the end of your driver bit and don't strip easily.

Does anyone know where the screws can be purchased? A few of mine have rusted for some reason and it would be nice to match the rest of them.

Thanks,
Bill

FED 387 12-21-2016 12:57 PM

McMaster Carr sells them they are listed as PAN HEAD SQUARE DRIVE screws ---lots of diameters and lengths as well as material zinc coated/stainless steel etc. to choose from--- come in pkgs of 100---FED 387