CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   .90 Heads Up Class Racing Tech (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Want to run 9.90 (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=72148)

jlundy 02-04-2019 01:45 PM

Want to run 9.90

First post..........
I would like to run SG in some Div 7 races but mostly run Super Pro @ 9.90 in local bracket races on the West Coast.

I'm new to all the delay box, throttle stop stuff plus I'm running a 3 speed transmission. I've installed a Pro Cube delay with 1 timer and I have a 2 stage ACD throttle stop, SLE and down track ET controller capable. Also a PPP Air shifter.

I being told I can't shift on RPM (using my separate 2shift RPM switch) when on the stop. If one timer is capable of 4 stages on time, could the stop and shifter be wired into the box using the same timer so I'm not shifting while on the stop? Is this even possible?

I apologize in advance for my complete lack of knowledge or correct use of terminology.

Jeff

Lenny5160 02-05-2019 01:35 PM

Re: Want to run 9.90

I don't think I fully grasp the question about the stop and shifter using the same timer, but you can absolutely just shift on RPM if you want to. I shift my SST and SC cars on RPM.

If someone told you that you can't, it is possible that they were saying "you can't shift by RPM while on the stop" because being "on the stop" implies that the throttle stop is activated, and your RPM generally stays flat while that is the case.

jlundy 02-05-2019 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lenny5160 (Post 581688)
I don't think I fully grasp the question about the stop and shifter using the same timer, but you can absolutely just shift on RPM if you want to. I shift my SST and SC cars on RPM.

If someone told you that you can't, it is possible that they were saying "you can't shift by RPM while on the stop" because being "on the stop" implies that the throttle stop is activated, and your RPM generally stays flat while that is the case.

Yes, I was told I couldn't shift by RPM though the box because the Stop was on. But I could shift on time through the box.

I don't know enough to know how to word my question yet. Let me ask another question if I may?

I have a delay box with one timer. My throttle stop starting line function would be hooked to pro-stage terminal on box and ET limiter side hooked to the "only" remaining timer function on the box. I have an air shifter that needs activated to shift my C-4 transmission. How do I accomplish activating the shifter in conjunction with delay and throttle stop?

Do I need a box with more timers ?

Lenny5160 02-05-2019 04:17 PM

Explain what you'd like the shifts to look like.

Do you want the car to shift while it is coasting on the throttle stop, then shift a second time downtrack at wide open throttle?

Do you want to launch hard, then go on the throttle stop, back wide open while still in first gear and shift twice down the track at wide open throttle?

Does your ignition system have the ability to control the shifts, or must the delay box control it?

jlundy 02-05-2019 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lenny5160 (Post 581705)
Explain what you'd like the shifts to look like.

Do you want the car to shift while it is coasting on the throttle stop, then shift a second time downtrack at wide open throttle?

Do you want to launch hard, then go on the throttle stop, back wide open while still in first gear and shift twice down the track at wide open throttle?

Does your ignition system have the ability to control the shifts, or must the delay box control it?

Launch hard then go on the stop, then shift down track.

Ignition can not control shifts, just delay box or separate shift controller

Lenny5160 02-05-2019 06:57 PM

If you want both of your shifts to happen by RPM, you can absolutely do that. No issue.

jlundy 02-05-2019 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lenny5160 (Post 581727)
If you want both of your shifts to happen by RPM, you can absolutely do that. No issue.

Thank you Lenny for the help.

I just purchased the Pro Cube with 3 timers and ZForce from K&R so I'll let the box shift it on time.

Jeff

Lenny5160 02-06-2019 01:23 AM

Quote:

I just purchased the Pro Cube with 3 timers and ZForce from K&R so I'll let the box shift it on time.
Seems less than ideal, if I'm understanding it correctly. If you want the shifts to happen down track at wide open throttle, the time setting for your desired RPM will change every time you change your throttle stop time. You'd be better off using RPM as the shift trigger.

jlundy 02-06-2019 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lenny5160 (Post 581757)
Seems less than ideal, if I'm understanding it correctly. If you want the shifts to happen down track at wide open throttle, the time setting for your desired RPM will change every time you change your throttle stop time. You'd be better off using RPM as the shift trigger.

As I mentioned in my first post, it's painfully obvious that I have no clue what I'm doing. That really is the main reason I joined this forum, to read and ask questions.

I guess I need to shift into 2nd on the stop then coming off the stop say 7000 rpm = time? shift into 3rd for the remainder of the run. Thought time was more consistent than RPM?

I thank you Lenny for taking the time to help this racer whom thought he'd have a go at electronics racing.

Hacksaw 02-06-2019 11:22 AM

What about getting it to shift to high gear when your on the stop? Wouldn't that be the most consistent? Thinking you would need a little down track speed but your really fooling the car to think it has a PG trans.