CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock Tech (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   E shift ? (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=68265)

MR DERBY CITY 11-21-2017 10:37 PM

Re: E shift ?

[QUOTE=HR9121;550121]
Quote:

Originally Posted by dartman (Post 550118)

I sent Dave Ley a message last night just clarification. He said the rule is the same as before for fuel injected cars but the addition to the rule was to clarify because some of the factory hot rods were using air operated or electric shifters.

Correct, some of the millionaires were bending the rules a tad bit....LOL.....

Darrel Goheen 11-22-2017 01:07 AM

[QUOTE=HR9121;550121]
Quote:

Originally Posted by dartman (Post 550118)

I sent Dave Ley a message last night just clarification. He said the rule is the same as before for fuel injected cars but the addition to the rule was to clarify because some of the factory hot rods were using air operated or electric shifters.

Here is what the rule revision says.

Electronic rpm controls for the electric
(internal or external to the transmission) shifting of OEM electric shift automatic
transmissions permitted in computer-controlled vehicles only.

They added the words "OEM electric shift" to the previous rule.

The way I read it only OEM electronic transmissions can be electrically controlled. I hope I'm wrong in my interpretation. I also think all cars should be able to use it. Having both hands on the wheel should be safer than having one hand on the wheel, one on the shifter with your attention on the tach to hit shift points.

Chris1529 11-22-2017 11:58 AM

[QUOTE=Darrel Goheen
Having both hands on the wheel should be safer than having one hand on the wheel, one on the shifter with your attention on the tach to hit shift points.[/QUOTE]

I assume you only put a statement like that on here to see how people will react?

Mark Yacavone 11-22-2017 12:05 PM

[QUOTE=Darrel Goheen;550166]
Quote:

Originally Posted by HR9121 (Post 550121)
Here is what the rule revision says.

Electronic rpm controls for the electric
(internal or external to the transmission) shifting of OEM electric shift automatic
transmissions permitted in computer-controlled vehicles only.

They added the words "OEM electric shift" to the previous rule.

The way I read it only OEM electronic transmissions can be electrically controlled. .

Yes , that would make sense..but as we all know, in this tech/no tech era...

I already commented on the last part with your premise, so I cut it out.

Darrel Goheen 11-22-2017 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris1529 (Post 550191)
I assume you only put a statement like that on here to see how people will react?

No, never thought about how anyone would react other than the NHRA rule makers. Can you dispute the statement? Until I bought my Camaro in Oct. 2016, 99.9% of the thousands of passes I made down the track in the last 17 years was done with one hand on the wheel, one on the shifter and most of my attention on the tach until my second shift.

GTX JOHN 11-22-2017 09:26 PM

In my faster Stockers...... I have a hard time shifting
the cars when they are way up it the Air.

This leads to me (literally) hitting the tree occasionally.

Of course.......I am pretty old!

We all know there are quite a number of early cars that
are willing to risk running E shift 1st to 2nd.

I am sure I would get caught the first race!

I still wish it was legal.... for everyone I race against
in other lanes well being.

Darrel Goheen 11-23-2017 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTX JOHN (Post 550226)
I still wish it was legal.... for everyone I race against
in other lanes well being.

I agree John. Actually now that I'm thinking back a few months....there is a good chance I would have run the tree over had I not had both hands on the steering wheel when I launched on a junk track and took an immediate right turn in the left lane.

Rory McNeil 11-23-2017 02:58 AM

If thats such a big problem, I guess all the higher class stickshift cars must need electric shifters too, right? For safety, of course!:p

Nmbr1GMfan 11-23-2017 11:16 AM

Seriously, how can you guys not make a couple of shifts with an auto trans?

Bob Don 11-23-2017 12:14 PM

I may be in the minority here, but anything that diminishes the input of the driver weakens the class. Drive the damn car!