CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Adding a Pontiac to the Guide? (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=70447)

gumbalaya 07-17-2018 06:06 PM

Adding a Pontiac to the Guide?

I want to add the 2009 Pontiac Solstice Coupe, with the Turbo and Base engines to the guide, but I'm already running into road blocks!

I have contacted one of the NHRA's Tech directors about getting it added to the Guide, but he doesn't have a contact at Pontiac anymore.

With GM being the ginormous conglomeration that it is, I have no idea where to even start looking there.

Anyone know who to contact at GM?

Thanks in advance!

Billy Nees 07-17-2018 06:39 PM

Re: Adding a Pontiac to the Guide?

Why can't you just call it an 08 Solstice coupe, it's in the guide.
OBTW, one of my favorite combos!

GUMP 07-17-2018 06:48 PM

I came really close to building one of those! I think it would be a cool combination.

gumbalaya 07-17-2018 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GUMP (Post 567710)
I came really close to building one of those! I think it would be a cool combination.

I asked Tech a few years ago about a "Hardtop Coupe", and he said "To the best of my knowledge the Solstice was never available from the manufacturer with a hardtop, with that said it would not be legal for Stock or Super Stock."

So I said but wait, it was available as a hardtop coupe in 2009! (Which isn't in the Guide.)

Then he said that GM would have to submit data for to be added to the Guide.

And here we are!

gumbalaya 07-17-2018 10:44 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Billy Nees (Post 567709)
Why can't you just call it an 08 Solstice coupe, it's in the guide.
OBTW, one of my favorite combos!

While the guide calls it a "Coupe", there is a bit of a difference between the 2006-08 convertible & the 2009 Coupe aerodynamically. Plus the 09 coupe weighs about 80lbs more than the soft top.

And if the rumors are correct, the 09 is eligible for the 15% rule...

nhramnl 07-18-2018 11:06 AM

Call Pustelny. He's been working with the GM Racing guys for years, and can probably give you a starting point. MPR Racing.

ss3011 07-18-2018 11:42 AM

It will be interesting if you can get this done , since Pontiac has been out of business for quite awhile . The Marketing folks are usually the ones that make the decisions on what vehicles they want showcased in the different forms of motorsports . Pontiac Marketing is long gone , which is truly disappointing to me . Good Luck .

countrypuppy4865 07-19-2018 01:46 PM

Good luck! Doubt they would have any interest in adding an older car. The only thing the manufacturers are looking for are new copos, drag paks, and cobra jets and maybe a new street version here and there.

Dwight Southerland 07-19-2018 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by countrypuppy4865 (Post 567796)
Good luck! Doubt they would have any interest in adding an older car. The only thing the manufacturers are looking for are new copos, drag paks, and cobra jets and maybe a new street version here and there.

Really? They just added a 1969 Trans AM and a 1983 Z28 to the Guide for no other reason than they could.

jimmyparker 07-19-2018 03:29 PM

If I am looking at the classification guide right the '08 high HP version is a G, H, and I car. How fast has these cars run in showroom stock condition? These are some pretty tough classes for an unproven combo to jump in.