CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock Tech (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   E shift ? (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=68265)

Kdw1403 11-19-2017 10:42 PM

E shift ?

Are e shifts being outlawed in 2018? The way I read rule is if your car was OEM computer equipped then e shift is legal. Am I wrong? Talked to Paul Forte and he said the racers need to stand up and complain about this. Personally i am in favor of making electric or air shift legal in all classes. Much safer especially with the wheel stands that some of the stockers are doing today.Seems like on an OEM car you put it in D and go, which is what e shift does.

Mark Yacavone 11-19-2017 11:29 PM

Re: E shift ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kdw1403 (Post 550039)
Are e shifts being outlawed in 2018? The way I read rule is if your car was OEM computer equipped then e shift is legal. Am I wrong? Talked to Paul Forte and he said the racers need to stand up and complain about this. Personally i am in favor of making electric or air shift legal in all classes. Much safer especially with the wheel stands that some of the stockers are doing today.Seems like on an OEM car you put it in D and go, which is what e shift does.

As much as I respect Paul Forte , I'm afraid I have to disagree with him on this. But, I suppose business is business.
Seems like every week, someone suggests combining the stick and automatic classes.
If it's a stick racer, I just have to smile. If it's an automatic racer, then I wonder why we need auto upshifts at all. How much trouble is it to slap a Cheetah shifter into second on time?
Y'all remember Steve Bagwell and Richard Griffin? They never seemed to have trouble shifting a T.A. shifter with the wheels up ,and winning races at the same time.

HR9121 11-20-2017 10:06 PM

The Eshift is still legal as it has been for all cars that were oem equipped with a computer. And as Mark pointed out it is not that hard to manually shift a car but as long as its legal I will use one.

dartman 11-20-2017 10:41 PM

shifting of OEM electric shift automatic transmissions permitted in computer-controlled vehicles only. Otherwise, any gear change must occur as a result of an internal function of the transmission or from direct action by the driver. Pneumatic, hydraulic, electric, etc. controls and shifters in all noncomputer-controlled electronic-fuel-injected vehicles prohibited. The use of air assisted or electric assisted shifter is prohibited in all Stock applications.

Looks clear to me

Mark Yacavone 11-20-2017 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dartman (Post 550090)
shifting of OEM electric shift automatic transmissions permitted in computer-controlled vehicles only. Otherwise, any gear change must occur as a result of an internal function of the transmission or from direct action by the driver. Pneumatic, hydraulic, electric, etc. controls and shifters in all noncomputer-controlled electronic-fuel-injected vehicles prohibited. The use of air assisted or electric assisted shifter is prohibited in all Stock applications.

Looks clear to me

It is. Computer controlled engines came out in the early 80's. Computer controlled transmissions came out in the mid 90's.
One has nothing to do with the other.

Mark Yacavone 11-20-2017 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dartman (Post 550090)
. Pneumatic, hydraulic, electric, etc. controls and shifters in all noncomputer-controlled electronic-fuel-injected vehicles prohibited.

Looks clear to me

What the heck is a "non computer-controlled electronic-fuel-injected vehicle", NHRA?

HR9121 11-20-2017 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Yacavone (Post 550093)
What the heck is a "non computer-controlled electronic-fuel-injected vehicle", NHRA?

Lol

Lew Silverman 11-20-2017 11:56 PM

Why is it that EVERY time there is a change to the rules some of us seem to go bonkers trying to figure out what the new rules actually mean? Wouldn't it be easier for everyone, at least for new rules that aren't safety related, that all the "proposed" changes or additions be published on NHRARacer.com prior to their being adopted, so that WE, the folks that are being asked to adapt to them have time to ask questions if we don't understand the meaning of the new rules? Would it be so hard to give us, let's say, 30 days for our input? Obviously no one is saying that any racer input might have any effect on what is being proposed, but at least those of us who consistently have questions about any change from the "status quo" will have an opportunity to ask them, and maybe get an answer that makes sense.

And so far as the new shifter ruling, IMHO only vehicles that came factory equipped with a computer-controlled transmission module are allowed to use an electronically-controlled shifter. Whether that means that a vehicle built in 2013 that now has a Metric 200 and NOT a 4L80E is legal with an e-shifter is the question I would ask, given the opportunity.

Billy Nees 11-21-2017 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lew Silverman (Post 550095)
Why is it that EVERY time there is a change to the rules some of us seem to go bonkers trying to figure out what the new rules actually mean? Wouldn't it be easier for everyone, at least for new rules that aren't safety related, that all the "proposed" changes or additions be published on NHRARacer.com prior to their being adopted, so that WE, the folks that are being asked to adapt to them have time to ask questions if we don't understand the meaning of the new rules? Would it be so hard to give us, let's say, 30 days for our input?

NHRA should do that for certain engine PARTS too!
Oh, wait a minute, then they would have a harder time getting their "Buddy Deals" through. Better to just sneak them in.

Jim Kaekel 11-21-2017 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billy Nees (Post 550097)
NHRA should do that for certain engine PARTS too!
Oh, wait a minute, then they would have a harder time getting their "Buddy Deals" through. Better to just sneak them in.

Sorry to go off topic...but speaking of "buddy deals", what is the connection to CFR Performance, who happens to have an awful lot of NHRA-Approved oil pans?