CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Bracket Racing (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   car numbers (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=22591)

6point6 12-21-2009 09:09 PM

car numbers

I need to put numbers on my car, I have never done this before as I have been a professional test & tuner for many years. Started to do some bracket racing last season and was told to pick a number and put it on the car for next season. My question is this: why does everyone put thier class and number decals on the side windows? I'm afraid when I roll the window down the decals will get damaged. I know my dial in gets wiped off! (am I the only one this happens to? maybe I have aggressive weatherstripping). I will put a number on the windshield but why not the sail panel instead of thr roll up windows?

Rob Petrie E395 12-21-2009 10:41 PM

Re: car numbers

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6point6 (Post 158268)
I need to put numbers on my car, I have never done this before as I have been a professional test & tuner for many years. Started to do some bracket racing last season and was told to pick a number and put it on the car for next season. My question is this: why does everyone put thier class and number decals on the side windows? I'm afraid when I roll the window down the decals will get damaged. I know my dial in gets wiped off! (am I the only one this happens to? maybe I have aggressive weatherstripping). I will put a number on the windshield but why not the sail panel instead of thr roll up windows?

I think most people do it this way for 2 reasons.
1. Thats what the NHRA rulebooks states the location should be
2. If you put them on the windows should you have to change/replace vinyl numbers for some reason you wont be taking a chance of ruining your paint job when you change them.

As for picking a number if you plan to goto the div. finals I would just go ahead and get one assigned by NHRA you will have to have it anyways and if you race more than one track you dont have to worry about changing numbers because somone else choose the same number as you.

Bob Verwold 12-21-2009 10:46 PM

The bad part is they now cost $50.00 for one year or $80.00 for two years.....

Ed Fernandez 12-21-2009 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Petrie E395 (Post 158278)
I think most people do it this way for 2 reasons.
1. Thats what the NHRA rulebooks states the location should be
2. If you put them on the windows should you have to change/replace vinyl numbers for some reason you wont be taking a chance of ruining your paint job when you change them.

As for picking a number if you plan to goto the div. finals I would just go ahead and get one assigned by NHRA you will have to have it anyways and if you race more than one track you dont have to worry about changing numbers because somone else choose the same number as you.

They ask if you have a preference.You live in Div 1 so it would either be a four digit number starting with a 1 (1234/1999) or a letter and three numbers (T123/H199).If your choices are taken they will assign a number.
$50 a year.Owwww my *** hurts.

6point6 12-22-2009 05:48 PM

Thanks for the responses. You got me thinking. First, how exactly do I get a number assigned from NHRA (I am a member already) I dont see anything about it on thier website. Second, I do some racing at New England Dragway, an IHRA track, would those NHRA numbers be accepted there?

Rob Petrie E395 12-22-2009 06:29 PM

Goto NHRA.com
Click on the competition button
Click on the one that reads licensing and physical
Look for the section "what if I want to drive a car slower than 9.99 ?"
Click on the link in that paragraph and it will bring up a PDF of the form you need to get your number

Hope this helps maybe somebody else can say for sure but the few times that I have been to a IHRA track here in the midwest I have not had a problem bracket racing with my NHRA number. But like I wrote before it would only be a problem if somebody there were by chance to have the same exact number issued by IHRA.

Bob Verwold 12-22-2009 07:00 PM

I.H.R.A. will give you the same # as N.H.R.A. if it's not in use. Well they won't give it to you but you know what I mean.

6point6,
The form is also in the National Dragster every week.........when they come on time..........

Casper68 12-24-2009 09:42 PM

I pu t mine on the rear/quarter windows, and use the reverse cut numbers...where they are put on from the inside.

6point6 12-25-2009 04:59 PM

Yes, I think that reverse cut deal sounds like the way to go for me. Thank you.

rayfin 12-26-2009 06:34 PM

I'm afraid when I roll the window down the decals will get damaged.
We have a company car with vinyl window lettering and have never had a problem with rolling the windows up and down. Should be fine.:D