CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock Tech (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Thoughts on accepted aftermarket heads for 350? (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=69084)

FLEMING 02-21-2018 01:52 PM

Thoughts on accepted aftermarket heads for 350?

I noticed there are accpeted RHS, Dart and Edelbroc heads for my combination.. What is everyones thought on going this route?

Bobby Lundholm 02-21-2018 03:00 PM

Re: Thoughts on accepted aftermarket heads for 350?

I was looking at them and the Dart look to be the best without going to the aluminum heads. We already found quite a pick up over the stock castings.

terry1 02-21-2018 03:10 PM

Is/are the runner volumes going to be an issue.
Terry K

FLEMING 02-21-2018 03:13 PM

I was told you have to add 50# if you run them.. Just getting hard to find good cores for certain heads.. Mainly wondering if anyone went that route yet

Bobby Lundholm 02-21-2018 03:35 PM

I haven't heard anything about the runners yet. It depends on what class you run for the weight to be added. It's a 5 hp penalty across the board.

rick winchester 02-21-2018 03:38 PM

Unless you are running Super stock and filling the ports none of these heads are going to meet the port cc. numbers. You just cannot mill enough off get from 175 to 161 cc . I know they are showing 172 cc but check 174/175 cc. Rick.

Bobby Lundholm 02-21-2018 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rick winchester (Post 556726)
Unless you are running Super stock and filling the ports none of these heads are going to meet the port cc. numbers. You just cannot mill enough off get from 175 to 161 cc . I know they are showing 172 cc but check 174/175 cc. Rick.

Then if you can't adjust the runners because that's illegal and you can't leave them as is because they have to reflect stock runner numbers how would they be able to kick you out if you are running the spec head they approved?

Greg Hill 02-21-2018 09:29 PM

The Edlebrock heads are 185 cc’s on the intake runner. Who approves this stuff?

Todd Hoven 02-21-2018 10:09 PM

Great thing about aluminum. You can weld it up, reprofile it, and cover it up. It will look like new and you probably pick up 30 hp at least. You have to do
something to keep up with the Mopars.

5389stk 02-21-2018 10:52 PM

Question who actually submitted all these heads to NHRA or did NHRA pick them out. All these heads cc way to big to be used in stock.

FireSale 02-21-2018 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5389stk (Post 556767)
Question who actually submitted all these heads to NHRA or did NHRA pick them out. All these heads cc way to big to be used in stock.

Can't answer that. The AFR 1399 aluminum head is NHRA approved for SS, but it ships with 1.9 and 1.6 valves installed. Larger than the Ford heads it's approved to replace. You would have to knock the valve size down to pass a SS tear down. I wasted a couple of grand on believing the Approved list, so be careful.

AFR `1399
58cc
valves 1.9/1.6
I runner 165cc
E runner 68cc

c8oe f J code 302/230
49.5cc
valves 1.783/1.457
I runner 130cc
E runner 49cc

Got iron heads now.

Bobby Lundholm 02-22-2018 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Todd Hoven (Post 556761)
Great thing about aluminum. You can weld it up, reprofile it, and cover it up. It will look like new and you probably pick up 30 hp at least. You have to do
something to keep up with the Mopars.

Any modifications to the runners are illegal, so if they match up to the stock numbers NHRA will know they are modified.

Mark Ugrich 02-22-2018 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobby Lundholm (Post 556795)
Any modifications to the runners are illegal, so if they match up to the stock numbers NHRA will know they are modified.

So if I’m understanding this correctly , you must run the aluminum/ replacement heads in either stock or super stock using the runners as they come from the manufacturer. The exception being replacing the valves and seats with the correct OEM sizes?

Bobby Lundholm 02-22-2018 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Ugrich (Post 556797)
So if I’m understanding this correctly , you must run the aluminum/ replacement heads in either stock or super stock using the runners as they come from the manufacturer. The exception being replacing the valves and seats with the correct OEM sizes?

That's what I'm understanding. The air flow is going to be restricted by the intake regardless, so with the larger head runners i don't think it'll help that much.

FireSale 02-22-2018 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobby Lundholm (Post 556798)
That's what I'm understanding. The air flow is going to be restricted by the intake regardless, so with the larger head runners i don't think it'll help that much.

That's what I was told regarding my AFRs. Smaller valves would degrade the heads performance. The shop that does work for Hancock and Lane advised against that route.

X-TECH MAN 02-22-2018 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobby Lundholm (Post 556798)

I know of at least one stocker 428 CJ intake manifold that is 10 lbs lighter in wt. than any others. No grinding on the outside either !

FireSale 02-22-2018 01:02 PM

Anyone notice that the approved Dart head is iron?

Dart catalogue
Iron EAGLE s/s 23° 165cc (55-86 Std. Intake Face)
72cc Chambers – 1.940”/1.500” Valves
10021070 Bare Head

NHRA Accepted Stock/Super Stock Cylinder Head Volumes Updated June 14, 2017 Highlighted items designate recently added since last revision
Head # 10021070 Dart
Intake CC's Max 172
Exhaust CC's Max 65
Same As Stock 80-92 305; Same chamber CC's, valve sizes as head replacing intake and exhaust

Bobby Lundholm 02-22-2018 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FireSale (Post 556809)
Anyone notice that the approved Dart head is iron?

Dart catalogue
Iron EAGLE s/s 23° 165cc (55-86 Std. Intake Face)
72cc Chambers – 1.940”/1.500” Valves
10021070 Bare Head
It's listed in the Accepted Products release pg 42 (2017) under that part number.

Yes that one is on the top of our list to work with.

Bobby Lundholm 02-22-2018 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by X-TECH MAN (Post 556808)
I know of at least one stocker 428 CJ intake manifold that is 10 lbs lighter in wt. than any others. No grinding on the outside either !

I still don't think you make the intakes big enough to really let the heads breathe. What's the standard CC of the stock Chevy intakes compared to a 185 cc head runner?

Steve Stickel 02-22-2018 01:34 PM

#1 Greg Hill; The Edlebrock heads are 185 cc’s on the intake runner. Who approves this stuff?
Follow the money............

# 2 Todd Hoven "Great thing about aluminum. You can weld it up, reprofile it, and cover it up. It will look like new and you probably pick up 30 hp at least. "
Think about it, Read between the lines.. this also applies to Aluminum Intakes...

# 3 "I was looking at them and the Dart look to be the best without going to the aluminum heads"
Don't count on it , if this deal stays at +5hp for replacement heads, the Iron will be way disadvantaged, esp if the combo has an Alum Intake. refer to comment #2

Obviously, no one who has a clue of stock eliminator made the decision to include these alum heads replacing factory cast iron. I'm not a chevy guy but now as I see it in the guide the 350 has choices of 4 replacement heads plus the original. As mentioned in another thread here on CR that potentially creates 5 sub combos of the same engine. In the future will we need 5 hp factors for the same engine? Yea, and this goes for all the Makes also, whether it's a Mopar Ford or GM.

Todd Hoven 02-22-2018 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobby Lundholm (Post 556795)

When your done they will pour the same volume. Pass tech, have a great race. That’s why they are welded up. To adjust the runner volume. They will be legal to the inspector.

Bobby Lundholm 02-22-2018 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Todd Hoven (Post 556814)
When your done they will pour the same volume. Pass tech, have a great race. That’s why they are welded up. To adjust the runner volume. They will be legal to the inspector.

My point is that they originally start at 185 cc and finesse them down to 165 cc where the stock ones are NHRA will know they have been modified thus being illegal. We are not talking about removing material and making it look "stock" adding material is whole different ball game. You never miss what you don't know was there, but when runners are smaller than what the manufacturer is saying it makes you think.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe welding and epoxy are illegal in stock, so if you do that to get the cc numbers right aren't you illegal?

Todd Hoven 02-22-2018 02:30 PM

Sounds like a mystery. The first guy who passes a tech inspection via tear down with these heads, will know the secret. Who ever prepares those heads would get my business if I had a Chevrolet. There are no replacement heads for my combo nor ever will be. I was told “it’s not in the spirit of stock eleminator” There was my answer. This deal is a goldmine for power. I’d work on a set until it passes, and not ask questions on a public forum about it during or after. I don’t have those problems so it
Doesn’t apply to me.

QUOTE=Bobby Lundholm;556815]My point is that they originally start at 185 cc and finesse them down to 165 cc where the stock ones are NHRA will know they have been modified thus being illegal. We are not talking about removing material and making it look "stock" adding material is whole different ball game. You never miss what you don't know was there, but when runners are smaller than what the manufacturer is saying it makes you think.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe welding and epoxy are illegal in stock, so if you do that to get the cc numbers right aren't you illegal?[/QUOTE]

Chris Hardy 02-22-2018 02:38 PM

Wouldn't it be easier for everyone, if NHRA just calls it: Every SBC head must be Less than or equal to 185CC's, have stock diameter valves? Then they just inspect for grinding and pour? We all make a ton of power, and inspection is easy. (FYI, the pinch cross section on the Dart 185cc heads are smaller than the stock intake manifold cross section) Thus, the heads will be a substantial gain once a good valve job and flowing is completed.

Bob Mulry 02-22-2018 03:04 PM

All I can say is

WTF IS NHRA THINKING....

Maybe they figure that between these BS heads, crate motors and eliminating Heads-Up runs we will all just walk away?????

I have been asking for 15 years what is their Business Plan....

Maybe this is it???

and another thing..

Anybody that knows anything about air flow or a flow bench isn't posting and never will....

Barry Polley 02-22-2018 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Mulry (Post 556821)
All I can say is

WTF IS NHRA THINKING....

Maybe they figure that between these BS heads, crate motors and eliminating Heads-Up runs we will all just walk away?????

I have been asking for 15 years what is their Business Plan....

Maybe this is it???

Hey BG! ;)

Eliminate heads up? Need a really good explanation ...
Are we not a Performance based class?
Combine Auto and Stick? Stick will run away with it. You might think an auto is as fast but a good stick will kick your a $ $. If.... one does not have the negative paper factor in favor.
Have they decided to do away with the Alum Head penalty for all?
Appears the Gov irrigation flow gate is wide open.
Crate motor combos. No- period.

Bob Mulry 02-22-2018 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barry Polley (Post 556822)
Hey BG! ;)

Eliminate heads up? Need a really good explanation ...
Are we not a Performance based class?
Combine Auto and Stick? Stick will run away with it. You might think an auto is as fast but a good stick will kick your a $ $. If.... one does not have the negative paper factor in favor.
Have they decided to do away with the Alum Head penalty for all?
Appears the Gov irrigation flow gate is wide open.
Crate motor combos. No- period.

All you have to do is look at what the flakes from the IHRA are posting on line.....

They don't even look at wheel studs anymore....

With tech the way it is how far can no heads up be??????

The only thing that could be done is to protest the car, but on the other hand will the NHRA have their people in place to do the inspections????

If and when it happens I'll find something else to do after doing it for 55 years.......

terry1 02-22-2018 04:35 PM

So, is it a fact, that the advertised runner volumes on the replacement heads are
acceptable?
In my case, my 624's are to be 168 CC's in/on the intake.
So the aluminum 175 CC's would be accepted??
Terry K

5389stk 02-22-2018 04:37 PM

Back on topic 350 chevy heads , why would any racer go to all the trouble to approve iron head such as the dart 1070 . You would have to mill intake flange off or valve cover rail to get to 165 .

5389stk 02-22-2018 04:46 PM

Stock runner must be same size as head it is replacing. According to stock head cc guide sub notes on replacement heads

Bobby Lundholm 02-22-2018 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5389stk (Post 556830)
Stock runner must be same size as head it is replacing. According to stock head cc guide sub notes on replacement heads

That's what the question is on how to get there without it being illegal.

terry1 02-22-2018 04:58 PM

I figured that that would be the case.
So, if I have a set of aluminum heads that are 168 CC's on the intake;
that says that NHAR does not care how it is done as long as it is
"stock in appearance"!
That says to me that NHRA are saying "go at it boys" and see how good
you are!
Terry K

Bobby Lundholm 02-22-2018 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by terry1 (Post 556833)
I figured that that would be the case.
So, if I have a set of aluminum heads that are 168 CC's on the intake;
that says that NHAR does not care how it is done as long as it is
"stock in appearance"!
That says to me that NHRA are saying "go at it boys" and see how good
you are!
Terry K

Right or run it as it is with the 185cc runners. Either way it's technically illegal.

Mark Faul 02-22-2018 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hardy (Post 556820)
Wouldn't it be easier for everyone, if NHRA just calls it: Every SBC head must be Less than or equal to 185CC's, have stock diameter valves? Then they just inspect for grinding and pour? We all make a ton of power, and inspection is easy. (FYI, the pinch cross section on the Dart 185cc heads are smaller than the stock intake manifold cross section) Thus, the heads will be a substantial gain once a good valve job and flowing is completed.

They already have a class where they pour the heads and have stock valve diameter. It's called Super Stock.
Sure glad I decided to quit running Stock. Getting more screwed up every year...

Dan Fahey 02-22-2018 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Faul (Post 556836)
They already have a class where they pour the heads and have stock valve diameter. It's called Super Stock.
Sure glad I decided to quit running Stock. Getting more screwed up every year...

Holy Crate Motor Batman !! :D

We just had this conversation.

D

Barry Polley 02-22-2018 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Faul (Post 556836)

My partner Jeff said; its like comp 25 years ago!

FLEMING 02-23-2018 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Hill (Post 556756)
The Edlebrock heads are 185 cc’s on the intake runner. Who approves this stuff?

I saw that! I think i will just look for some 993 I just want to fix a legal motor lol