CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock Tech (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   alternator (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=70392)

cummins 07-09-2018 07:25 PM

alternator

Who's one wire alternator would be the best one to use for a stocker?
Thanks

Alan Roehrich 07-09-2018 08:21 PM

Re: alternator

I've had good luck with PowerMaster.

Myron Piatek 07-09-2018 08:25 PM

I've had great service from PowerMaster as well. Mine is the smallest 50amp they have and I do have to charge between rounds to keep the battery topped off. But I figure it takes the least amount of HP while still being functional.

Dana Fitzpatrick 07-09-2018 08:26 PM

I agree with Alan. I've also been very happy with their customer service.

Lew Silverman 07-10-2018 12:08 AM

PowerMaster X4 here!

I've been experimenting with pulleys trying to get a balance between charging rate and parasitic drag. Also looking at a WOT cut-out switch to see if there's anything there.

Bobby DiDomenico 07-10-2018 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lew Silverman (Post 567185)
PowerMaster X4 here!

I've been experimenting with pulleys trying to get a balance between charging rate and parasitic drag. Also looking at a WOT cut-out switch to see if there's anything there.

I think that's the better way to go rather than too small amperage wise.

cummins 07-10-2018 09:51 AM

Ok guys thanks for input i will pic one up

Ed Wright 07-10-2018 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lew Silverman (Post 567185)
PowerMaster X4 here!

Lew, a normally closed relay in that single wire, connected to a universal starter button under the accelelorator pedal makes it "old man forget proof". Pedal on the floor opens that normally closed relay to disable the alternator. Some EFI car ECUs have some AC clutch code that can be used to open that relay above a chosen RPM, etc.
A switch could also be mounted by the carb, to kill it @ WOT, but would also be just one more thing to deal with during tear downs, and working on the engine.
I finally just went to 16 volts.

Mark Lewis 07-10-2018 02:31 PM

Contact Mark at House of Payne, he can get th Powermaster up to 75amps in the small version. I like this one for EFI to have the charging capability.

Bob Mulry 07-12-2018 12:00 PM

Gee whiz,

All this time I thought that was illegal???..

Silly me...