CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Ibuprophin vs. reaction times (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=33589)

Greg Reimer 7376 05-23-2011 11:56 AM

Ibuprophin vs. reaction times

Just curious. What could be the result of using pain relievers like aspirin and ibuprophin(Advil) before racing? Does it slow down your lights, or is that another old wives' tale? Just curious.

Charlie Yannetti 05-23-2011 01:40 PM

Re: Ibuprophin vs. reaction times

LOL.. how much you figuring on taking, Greg??.. I've taken a normal dose of Advil or Excedrine for a headache while racing with no ill affects on my reaction times.. but if you're gonna swallow the whole bottle, I'd bet you might be a tad late on the tree when they kick in... sorry for the humor, just couldn't resist... LOL

rx dealer 05-23-2011 01:44 PM

Just old wives tale...BUT...looking at the package insert which give full desription of ibuprofen (motrin and advil) there is a less than 3% chance of this drug to cause dizziness,headache or nervousness. One of the complaint was by a 19 year old male who took 8000 mg ( that's 10 tablets of prescription only strenght 800 mg. or 40 tablets of the over the counter strenght of 200 mg ) in a 24 hour period... Lets put it this way in 18+ years owning a pharmacy the major complaint was stomach ache caused by people taking ibuprofen without food. Always take ibuprofen with food. And avoid drinking alcohol when taking this drug. If anyone read the package insert of ANY drug and look at the interactions, no one will ever take drugs, including asprin...so back to the question there is no correlation between ibuprofen and reaction time...i hope this answer your question..Luke SS 311

Ed Fernandez 05-23-2011 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlie Yannetti (Post 260220)
LOL.. how much you figuring on taking, Greg??.. I've taken a normal dose of Advil or Excedrine for a headache while racing with no ill affects on my reaction times.. but if you're gonna swallow the whole bottle, I'd bet you might be a tad late on the tree when they kick in... sorry for the humor, just couldn't resist... LOL

Charlie,what would happen if I dropped a speed ball in the cell?Would I pick up .10?

Alan Warman 05-23-2011 05:32 PM

What if you need to go the other way and speed your reaction tine up.
I always drink a Monster first thing in the morning.

Eric Merryfield 05-23-2011 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Warman (Post 260268)
What if you need to go the other way and speed your reaction tine up.
I always drink a Monster first thing in the morning.

Well I need to slow down sometimes, but if you need to speed up, coffee/caffeine will do the trick for many....you can get penguin caffeinated mints for the staging lanes will help too if your blood pressure is a bit on the low side. I use them for my 30 plus baseball games and with coffee from time to time at work.

Warning: 16 year old Beagles LOVE the chocolate flavored caffeinated mints Mr. Beasley ate the entire tin of it....which is roughly 25 beverages......he was a bit more wired than normal...lol.....and bounded about the house for a good 45 minutes.

Eric

Bret Kepner 05-23-2011 06:25 PM

For me (not neccessarily you):

One aspirin: three hundredths

One Ibuprofen: one hundredth

Mickey Whaley 05-23-2011 08:40 PM

all bs 12 pack later in the final???

Angelo DiTocco 05-23-2011 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boster58 (Post 260265)
Luke , what about Toprol ? heard that pro golfers and nascar guy use it to stay calm

Bo

Bo - Here is link to Vanderbilt Univ Dept of Psychology - good article on the topic (with references)... Not just someones opinion. It's been known for years that Beta-Blockers slow the heart rate and block the function of adrenaline (which raises metabolism in anxiety or pressure type situations). They have been used for "stage-fright" by performers and public speakers for years instead of a few shots or a valium. There are other performance enhancing substances (other than steroids) that are used by athletes too.
Interesting read:
http://healthpsych.psy.vanderbilt.edu/BetaBlockers.htm

The Hawk 05-23-2011 10:10 PM

I think it depends. Is this for normal pain and aches,or fighting a hangover before first round?