CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Interesting or Funny Car Stories (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=68355)

Travis Miller 11-29-2017 01:44 PM

Interesting or Funny Car Stories

Now that racing season is over for a while, let's share some stories from our past concerning anything to do with cars. I'll start it off....

Back in my teenage years I worked in a machine shop. I was using a cylinder hone on a 6 cylinder Chevy block. This was the finger type hone with stones where you rough hone first then work your way up using finer grit stones. The block was sitting on the shop floor in the area where we usually used the hone. Lunch time was approaching so I thought I would do the job a little quicker. Tightening the hone up a little more surely would speed up the process, or so I thought. When I hit the trigger on the huge (and powerful) 1/2 inch drive drill, the hone locked solid to the cylinder wall. I released the trigger immediately but somehow the button had gotten pressed that held the trigger wide open and away we went across the floor. Round and round the 6 cylinder block went with me along for the ride. After several laps, with the cord of the drill rapping around me, the plug finally pulled out of the wall outlet. After that day I never ever tried to speed up any process using power tools. That was a lesson learned the hard way.

Hacksaw 11-29-2017 02:07 PM

Re: Interesting or Funny Car Stories

Not really a car story per say, but Travis reminded me of when I was a young wipper snapper and was fooling around with a 3 or 5 hp briggs engine for my go kart. Don't ask why, but for some reason I fired that thing up as it was sitting on my old man's gas stations concrete shop floor. No muffler and that thing jumping around like crazy, well I just got scared and ran away. All the men cracked up.

Lyn Smith 11-29-2017 02:40 PM

Worked at a Pontiac ,Buick dealership in the early seventies. A customer brought in a late 60s V8 full size Pontiac that had quit running.A mechanic that wasn't the sharpest crayon in the box went right for the starting fluid to try to get it to fire.He cranked ,and cranked on it,then finally gave up,and went to lunch.after lunch more starting fluid was tried.All of a sudden I heard a huge explosion come from the front of the car.I went over to see what had blown and noticed engine parts all over the floor.The engine had blown up ,and forced pushrods,and lifters out of the valley cover,and valve covers.All the mechanic could say is "Well I was pretty sure this guy was going to need a new engine anyway."

nickh 11-29-2017 02:52 PM

Was running at Baytown track at a bracket race, sitting in the car belted in ready to go sitting under the tower one of my good friends (fellow racer) walked up in front of the car dropped his racing pants and mooned me. I red lighted on my pass.

Travis Miller 11-29-2017 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickh (Post 550625)
Was running at Baytown track at a bracket race, sitting in the car belted in ready to go sitting under the tower one of my good friends (fellow racer) walked up in front of the car dropped his racing pants and mooned me. I red lighted on my pass.

<I lost because I got mooned just before my run.>

Adding that one to the list of different ways to lose. LOL.

voltdr 11-29-2017 03:47 PM

Back in the middle 80s, I worked at a Ford dealership in Indiana. I got the glorious job of have to rewire, replumb, and make any other repairs to a customer's Bronco. The car was sufering from and underhood fire. While in the process of making the repairs, the customer came in to see how the progress was coming. He told me how the Bronco caught on fire after some of his at-home modifications, and he hurriedly put the fire out. He asked me what I thought.... O told him he put the fire out too soon............
Dan

Ken Kopecky 11-29-2017 04:24 PM

I forget how long ago it was or what track it was at but I was sitting in my car, suited up and strapped in ready to go for first round. We all know that first round is the toughest. Well, an attractive young lady whom I have known for a while, walks up to my side window, saw that I was nervous and concentrating when all of a sudden, she flashed me! My eyes went wide and my jaw dropped. She then smiled, said good luck and walked away. Long story short, I won the round and had a .00-something light. We still to this day talk about that first round! She is a very classy lady as far as I’m concerned and is still a good friend.

Ken Kopecky
1454 E/SA

S/ST J718 11-29-2017 04:35 PM

I have told this story before , but not here. Its a good one.

I live out in the southwest desert , at the time my Vega wagon was stored in my carport. A garage without a door to enclose it. At a team race during a time hit after the burnout I proceeded to stage. Well I was about 8 feet from prestage I felt something on my leg. I look down but it being at night could not see much. As I get closer a light comes in the car and I can see its a rather large pack rat, I had gone red on the first hit so I had to qualify. So I perstage with my friend on my leg, I go on the trans brake and let go and here come the rat running up my leg pass my sit . All I could do is get down the track and get back to the pits. In pits found the rat and hit him with some Brake clean to get him out..... I go up for first round and a bunch of racers are talking about 3 rats being on the track during time trails So I was caring for a family ..... LOL

Had a .011 light ..... Oh well

Tar Heel 11-29-2017 04:36 PM

A buddy of mine was changing valve springs in my car at his place of employment after work. I had a bracket car; 1970 Monte Carlo with a BBC, open headers, slicks, ... After we finished he told me to blast down the street to see that everything was in order before I put it on the trailer to go home. What could go wrong?

Well, you know it took about 200' to get passed, in the opposite direction coming at me, by a State Highway Patrol car and of course I was wide open throttle at the time. What did I do? I immediately pulled into someone's drive and luckily they had an open garage door. I pulled in the garage, jumped out, hit the door opener, and got back in the car while the door went down. I stayed in the car several minutes too scared to see if the officer turned around.

In hindsight, that would have been a good way to get shot by the homeowner. Luckily they weren't home.

ALMACK 11-29-2017 05:01 PM

10 years ago I was trying to compress one of those "trick" front drag springs with an internal spring compressor.

I was doing this on the tailgate of a pickup that was a few inches below waste level.

Well, the spring fingers let go and that compressed spring let go, missing my "man zone" by 2 inches....:eek: