CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock Tech (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Electric Water Pump damage (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=73744)

Lyn Smith 07-31-2019 08:08 PM

Electric Water Pump damage

1 Attachment(s)
What is causing this damage to the inside of my electric water pump, and what can I do to stop it. I run just water in the system,and drain it in the fall.

Jeff Stout 07-31-2019 08:48 PM

Re: Electric Water Pump damage

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lyn Smith (Post 593592)
What is causing this damage to the inside of my electric water pump, and what can I do to stop it. I run just water in the system,and drain it in the fall.

I always understood when you let air get to wet metal it still corroded. I always leave the water in. How about electrolysis?

Duane Eiskant II 07-31-2019 09:33 PM

Lyn run the Lucas (* it works) cooling system additive or the redline water wetter. Both are good for aluminum blocks/heads/intakes/water pumps. It won’t allow it to corrode

Dragsinger 08-01-2019 09:28 AM

Lyn,

Wix, #24056 cooling system treatment is also a good product and available at most auto parts stores. It is around $7.00 per quart.

FireSale 08-01-2019 11:45 AM

What fluid do you run in the coolant system? Tap water could have some metals that will attack aluminum. Excess acidity can corrode it to. Check the Ph level of the water you use with a test kit. I run distilled water only and drained the block and pulled the water pump to change the cam this week. Lots of rust in the water but no damage to the WP.

Eman 08-01-2019 12:03 PM

The debate will continue about what water to use. I do know that some coolant additives state not to use distilled water. I stick to filtered drinking water for my car.

John Dinkel 08-01-2019 03:08 PM

I use Red LINE.

mschafer 08-01-2019 05:06 PM

I use distilled water and add Zerex Super Protector[ZXC04] bought at Napa was in car for 2 years and drained it this winter to change intake, intake water ports looked like new and not sign of electrolysis also run a anode in radiator petcock fitting

Dissident 08-01-2019 06:47 PM

Mr. Smith and others,

IF the surface we are looking at in the pic is aluminum (ie: non-ferrous), the problem is specifically from natural electrical action to corrode the material. IF that is the case, the original surface should have been anodized so as to decrease the action but would be better to use a sacrificial anode in the cooling system as well. IF originally anodized, any scratch through the finish accelerates the problem. IF the surface is supposed to be ferrous, it is surprising that it shows no ferrous oxide (rust) residue. So, it appears to be non-ferrous.:cool:

Either way, there are no negatives to use a sacrificial anode in the cooling system. Those type anodes are available at any hardware store or at Lowes, Home Depot, etc.;)

Regards to All that like this kind of stuff,
HB2:)
Dissident

Lyn Smith 08-01-2019 09:38 PM

Thanks for the info everyone. Someone please post a picture of a anode.I know if I go into the H ware store and ask the lady for a anode, I will get that funny look.LOL