CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock Tech (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Oil pressure question (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=70569)

Ron Gusack 07-31-2018 03:46 PM

Oil pressure question

433 12:1 BBC bracket engine that has 43 lbs of oil pressure crossing the 1/8 mile stripe at 6500 rpm. The engine has 150 runs on it and I always get an oil analysis from Blackstone that never shows any abnormal wear. I used to run HV pumps with lots of pressure cause I'm from the 10 psi/1000 rpm era so this worries me some. I run Brad Penn 10-30. The car is 3000 lbs with me and goes 6 teens in good air 1/8 and low 9.70's 1/4. Clearances are .0021-.0023 rods and I think .0025ish mains.

Am I living on the ragged edge? Should I run 40 weight? I have some straight 50 Valvoline racing on the shelf that I could add. I run 6 total. Thanks for any and all thoughts.

Mike Pearson 07-31-2018 04:46 PM

Re: Oil pressure question

Personally I think you are fine with the oil pressure that you have. As long as the bearings have oil the engine will be happy. Your oil testing is showing that. depending on what your combo is 150 runs is usually on the outside of needing a freshen up.

ss3011 07-31-2018 05:24 PM

Here are the typical questions , was that the pressure when the engine was new ? Are you sure the pressure gauge is reading correctly Other questions are what type of lifters do you run ? Are the lifter galleries restricted ? I am with you , would rather see 60 psi at speed.

Ron Gusack 07-31-2018 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ss3011 (Post 568831)
Here are the typical questions , was that the pressure when the engine was new ? Are you sure the pressure gauge is reading correctly Other questions are what type of lifters do you run ? Are the lifter galleries restricted ? I am with you , would rather see 60 psi at speed.

I think that was the pressure when it was new, or at least it was very close to that. I have a Racepak but I don't log oil pressure yet.
I'm not sure the gauge is correct because I have a small copper line going to it. It's a SW mechanical gauge that is very old.
The lifter galleys aren't restricted but my pushrods are restricted to .028.
Lifters are Crower Hippo severe duty.
I learned that 10 lbs per 1k rpm was old school and over kill. I know that volume and pressure are different too. That's why I went with a standard volume pump but 40 at 6300 has me a little nervous. It might not be much higher at 7k when I run 1/4 mile. I need to start logging it or at the very least put a larger ID line to it.

FED 387 07-31-2018 08:16 PM

maybe take the oil pressure reading off the FRONT of the block instead of the back of the block as the front is the LAST place that sees oil in the system if it is not looking bad inside I would not be overly concerned-- maybe next pass look at the oil gauge and see what it reads say at half track and thru the lights too will give you an idea of what your pressure is at various spots on the track--- FED 387

MAURICE BLENDHEIM 07-31-2018 08:42 PM

Ron… X2 on taking oil pressure from the front of the engine. Oil pressure reading will be after all internal leakage. MB

Ron Gusack 07-31-2018 10:41 PM

The pressure is about 50 at 2500 against the converter, goes up to 55ish on launch, then drops to low 40's for the rest of the run. After the stripe it climbs up a little. I put a gopro in it for one pass a couple weeks ago.

I've taken it from the #1 main before, is that good enough or is it better to get from the end of that galley? Is -4 braided what most use?

The last race of the 2017 season I over reved it bad on one run and I'm waiting for the analysis from that oil now. I hit 8400 in 1st gear and somehow it stayed together. Maybe this analysis will paint a different picture.

Mike Pearson 08-01-2018 08:47 AM

Ron,
I have been running a Moroso Billet pump in my 350. I had one of the Melling pumps break off and kill the engine. No more Melling pumps for me. Could be an issue with the pump. The billet pump does not have a standard pick up. it pulls the oil right from the bottom of the pump.

bry-war 08-01-2018 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Pearson (Post 568890)
Ron,
I have been running a Moroso Billet pump in my 350. I had one of the Melling pumps break off and kill the engine. No more Melling pumps for me. Could be an issue with the pump. The billet pump does not have a standard pick up. it pulls the oil right from the bottom of the pump.

Order up rebuild parts for your moroso billet pump and you will get melling parts.

BW

HP HUNTER 08-05-2018 06:46 PM

Type of cam bearings? BBC - you have to pay very close attention to cam to cam bearing clearance, at least that's what I've found. When you drop pressure on a run its usually a windage issue, type of pan and amount of oil?