CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   We Have Lost Another Good Racer (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=71198)

Isaac Zane 10-10-2018 09:30 AM

We Have Lost Another Good Racer

1 Attachment(s)
It is with great sadness that I must inform my fellow racers of the passing of Rich Oakes. Rich lost his battle yesterday with a very aggressive form of brain cancer that took him from us in just four short months. He endured five brain operations in a three week span, but ultimately the cancer won out.
Rich began his racing career in the early 60's at Atco Dragway where he was present on opening day. Initially, he campaigned a '57 Chevy (the "Green Onion") in Modified Eliminator. A 1968 Camaro was next (also Modified Eliminator) which he ran until the untimely demise of the class in the early 80's. His current ride, a 1992 IROC Camaro (Resurrection III) has been raced successfully in many classes over the years in both Comp and Super Stock. Rich held many national records and was # 1 Qualifier in Super Stock @ the U.S. Nationals in both 2001 and 2004. Rich was both a fierce competitor and a good friend to many in the racing community.
I had the privilege of assisting Rich at well over 100 races during the past 25 years and I will miss both the challenges and accomplishments that we experienced in getting the car down the track. Most of all, I will miss the times we shared together.
I was not there for Rich's first pass down the quarter mile, but I was there for the last one @ Atco @ the Nation Open this past spring. Rich was able to get his one last ride down the quarter mile under full Big Block power and all was well. Thanks to my good buddy Isaac Zane for allowing me to post this on Class Racer. I will forward Funeral Service information when it becomes available.

Mike Ridgway

Mike Fuller 10-10-2018 09:48 AM

Re: We Have Lost Another Good Racer

RIP Rich.

Bob Bender 10-10-2018 09:50 AM

We will miss him alot. A great guy and fellow racer. RIP my friend.

Ryck Campbell 10-10-2018 10:26 AM

Very, very sad. Rich and I have been racing friends for years. He will be greatly missed.

RC

Bill Kennedy 10-10-2018 10:42 AM

Very sorry to hear!! Great guy, that's for sure.

Jeff Jewell 10-10-2018 11:02 AM

Myself and the rest of the Jewell family are saddened to hear of Rich's passing. He was a great guy and a good friend.

I last saw Rich when he came to visit us at the Numidia divisional. He was looking forward to getting the car back out soon. I am going to miss busting his chops about joining the pink t-shirt club (all the automatic guys know what I am talking about).

RIP Rich...

Carguy49 10-10-2018 11:10 AM

Godspeed to Rich and comfort for his family and friends.

Leon Rennebaum 10-10-2018 11:29 AM

Wow! Just saw Richie at Jim Mahler’s funeral in April during the Atco Open Race! (Mahler built the engines for the Green Onion back in the day) I guess we can never know what awaits us at the end of our trip through life! RIP Rich!!

vic guilmino 10-10-2018 11:45 AM

We will miss him alot. A great guy and fellow racer. RIP my friend

Tom Goldman 10-10-2018 11:57 AM

I always enjoyed my talks with Rich .
He forgave my Super Gas racing because we shared a love for Modified Eliminator and Labrador Retrievers .
God Speed my friend. RIP .