CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   The future of Factory Stock Showdown (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=67137)

Ken Miele 08-07-2017 11:35 PM

The future of Factory Stock Showdown

Class Racer magazine has an interesting article on the the future of the Factory Stock Showdown.
http://classracer.com/magazine/?p=6425

There are also many comments on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/Class-Racer...9441468406709/

Lets us know what you think.

Jim Hanig 08-08-2017 01:53 PM

Re: The future of Factory Stock Showdown

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Miele (Post 541253)
Class Racer magazine has an interesting article on the the future of the Factory Stock Showdown.
http://classracer.com/magazine/?p=6425

There are also many comments on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/Class-Racer...9441468406709/

Lets us know what you think.

Mite be fun to watch,but out of reach for a lot of us.

Brett C 08-08-2017 03:06 PM

Just my 2 cents

Needs to be a 16 car field, not 8.
Put the non-qualified cars at the bottom of the ladder, not the top, IF they choose to run stock eliminator.
The costs are getting out of hand which will lead to the same problems as Pro Stock, which then kills this program before it even gets going good.
Maybe the biggest hurdle...get NHRA to listen to the racers instead of the manufacturers.

Good luck to all and hope this heads in the right direction, our sport needs something like this to work.

doglover44 08-08-2017 04:51 PM

Too bad its not ran at every event ! How are costs getting out of hand ?

ALMACK 08-08-2017 05:52 PM

Sounds like there are enough entries now to run 16 car fields.

I still say that at National events where the Factory Showdown cars are ran that there should not be any AHFS in effect for all the other Stock Eliminator cars as well.

That's just fair.
Just my opinion.

Superfan1 08-08-2017 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brett C (Post 541302)
Just my 2 cents

Put the non-qualified cars at the bottom of the ladder, not the top, IF they choose to run stock eliminator.
The costs are getting out of hand which will lead to the same problems as Pro Stock, which then kills this program before it even gets going good.
Maybe the biggest hurdle...get NHRA to listen to the racers instead of the manufacturers.

Good luck to all and hope this heads in the right direction, our sport needs something like this to work.

Brett, I agree that it needs to be a 16 car field at every event, not just Indy. Speaking of Indy, I will see you there bright and early on Wednesday Aug.30!

David Barton 08-08-2017 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brett C (Post 541302)
Just my 2 cents

I agree it should be a 16 car field. We suggested if there were less than 16, make it an 8 car field. If there are 16 or more, than make it a 16 car field. It sounds simple but NHRA's response was they would consider it for next year.

As far as the non-qualifiers I am not so sure there is a good answer to please everyone. Kicking them out altogether isn't a good idea. I would suggest changing the index a few tenths. Personally I wouldn't care if I am at the top or bottom of the ladder. At that point it is just a bracket race anyhow.

I completely disagree with the costs getting out of hand. Don't get me wrong, this is not a poor mans class. But I am sure there are teams out there that are spending way more money than our teams. With the exception of ice for the intercooler, I can tell you first hand that it doesn't cost much more money to run the supercharged combinations compared to the NA's.

How can you ever police the amount of money being spent? To me it is a great sign that racers want to spend money on the class. That shows there is major interest. It is obviously not a class for everyone. But that doesn't mean we should stop it from advancing. Some people put such a negative twist on this. I don't have the funds to buy one of these cars either. I work hard to find ways to make it all happen. There is a long list of customers, family, friends, vendors, and sponsors that support us. It is not only about the money like some may believe. It is about the relationships and using what you have to work with. At least for me it is. I can only hope to afford hot rods like this one day. For now, I am going to enjoy every minute of the opportunities I am given.

Hacksaw 08-08-2017 06:39 PM

If the FS non qualifiers are placed at the top of the list, then they are in the show. If they go to the bottom, would they not have to qualify to get in?

doglover44 08-08-2017 07:12 PM

Keep hearing rumors that this will eventually be the new Pro Stock

Mike Delahanty 08-08-2017 09:55 PM

This has to be one of the most interesting topics in Drag Racing today. I think we all agree that Factory Showdown is at an important juncture and could turn into something really good for drag racing. But there are plenty of ideas and opinions of how to make that happen. To be cynical, the most certain aspect is its' uncertain direction.

It looks like everyone agrees the fields should be bigger – 16 cars. No argument there. And more races – with a wider geographic coverage. The ideas of what to do with the non-qualifiers spark a wide difference of opinion. It seems like most agree that the FS/XX index needs to be fixed – I suggest lowering it by 3-4 tenths.

But to grow into its own standalone eliminator, FS needs to eventually cut its tie to Stock Eliminator and all of the intricacies of the rules in Stock Eliminator. I’ll use an easy example, towing cars to and from the lanes. Competitive FS cars approach the sophistication of COMP Cars and run best when they don’t have to drive through the pits to the staging lanes. There are a number of other hard and fast Stock rules that just won’t work all that well in a standalone category. Once that tie to Stock Eliminator is broken, that cuts off the escape route back to Stock Eliminator for the non-qualifiers. And a number of the current FS racers like the heads up racing and really don’t want to get thrown back into the “bracket race”.

Tire size is a point of contention. It’s my opinion that a 9” tire needs to stay. Making the car go down the track on a small tire is one of the key elements that make FS so exciting to watch. Like watching TF or FC, fans need to be glued to the starting line when FS rolls out because those small tires will create some exciting racing. And we know that small tire formula works well in 275 and 10.5 extreme classes.

I’d like to see some of the larger LODRS races add a FS eliminator – much like Division 1 has done in the past. This will help build the car count and fan interest in the category. Perhaps these event points would count towards the National Championship.

I think we will begin to see the direction for 2018 begin to come into focus as we get past Indy and the 2018 program get firmed up.

And finally – to David Barton – very well said above. You truly are a multitalented guy that can wrench, tune, drive and write.