CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   I Was Shocked......... (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=24078)

Jim Wahl 02-25-2010 06:18 PM

I Was Shocked.........

at the state of disrepair of Gainesville Raceway when we were there for the Divisional race last week. The whole place could use a good coat of paint. Everything looked as if it had sat out in the weather unused for the last year or more. Under the bleachers was full of trash, I saw one grounds keeper the whole weekend who was picking up trash. There were no port-a-lets in the pits, forcing everyone who didn't have an RV to make the trek up to the permanent bathrooms while out in a far off field there were about 200 of them sitting unused. I guess we didn't deserve using them. Speaking of bathrooms, they were dirty, paint flaking off the walls, half the sinks didn't work. There were no paper towels, empty soap containers and the floor was wet, as in from a leak from somewhere, the whole weekend. This is an NHRA owned track! Maybe Compton should forgo a few cases of beer and spiff up the place before the Gators! I can remember in the hay day the place sparkled and was pristine, a monument to Drag Racing power and speed. It really makes me sad to see it in such disrepair.

ItsyBitsySpider 02-25-2010 06:49 PM

Re: I Was Shocked.........

I'm curious to see what it looks like at the Gators.

Chad Rhodes 02-25-2010 07:12 PM

well the big wigs have their new Ivory Tower, so they can sit in comfort and laugh at us peons

W J 02-25-2010 07:44 PM

With the well-below freezing weather they had down there a few weeks back, I'm sure if the water wasn't shut down and the plmbg. fixtures drained and winterized properly, some piping/fittings probably split, causing your wet floors in the bathrooms.....sounds like noone's maintaining the place.....??? WJ

Jim Wahl 02-25-2010 07:53 PM

Oh yeah, and the hamburgers were $5 each!!!!!! Jim

Chris "drooze" Wertman 02-25-2010 08:16 PM

I was there in Oct ? (maybe Sept)

My first impression was wow, I cant believe this is the same place it used to be, I remebered it much nicer, I thought it was me and memories of my youth.

Or maybe that it was just past season and things in Florida weather more ?

I only have my current points of reference or my "haunts" well, Dragway 42 isnt very "pristine" but I like it....lol, and Norwalk, well I like it but everyhing is too far away.....lol

I was suprised at the "expanse" of Gainesville, big place. But like you said a little "crusty" looking I just assumed it was the "southern" enviroment.

That and the tree frog that came out of the soda machine change slot....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Wahl (Post 171478)
at the state of disrepair of Gainesville Raceway when we were there for the Divisional race last week. The whole place could use a good coat of paint. Everything looked as if it had sat out in the weather unused for the last year or more. Under the bleachers was full of trash, I saw one grounds keeper the whole weekend who was picking up trash. There were no port-a-lets in the pits, forcing everyone who didn't have an RV to make the trek up to the permanent bathrooms while out in a far off field there were about 200 of them sitting unused. I guess we didn't deserve using them. Speaking of bathrooms, they were dirty, paint flaking off the walls, half the sinks didn't work. There were no paper towels, empty soap containers and the floor was wet, as in from a leak from somewhere, the whole weekend. This is an NHRA owned track! Maybe Compton should forgo a few cases of beer and spiff up the place before the Gators! I can remember in the hay day the place sparkled and was pristine, a monument to Drag Racing power and speed. It really makes me sad to see it in such disrepair.

Ron Ortiz 02-25-2010 08:27 PM

I understand your plight Mr. Wahl. Only from a slightly different angle. I recall years ago going to the Gators to race in my van for the entire event. After my experiences there I can sum it this way.
Waking in the morning needing to refresh myself for the upcoming adventure that the day was about to bring, I would venture to the restrooms. Upon exiting the restrooms I can only say this........... I could care less if there was mold growing on the building, just get rid of that nasty smelling well water. It's really bad when the stall next to you smells better than the water you have to rinse your hands in.

Ron Ortiz
U/SA oooohh oooh that smell

Kenny Wigington 02-25-2010 08:59 PM

It will be back in good shape in a couple weeks. They usually pull in the troops, for the big race.

G Schenck 02-25-2010 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drooze (Post 171499)
I was there in Oct ? (maybe Sept)

But like you said a little "crusty" looking I just assumed it was the "southern" enviroment.

I don't know how to take that statement.

You may not leave Atlanta in the same shape that you arrived if some crusty southern gent gets a hold of you.

Greg

Chris "drooze" Wertman 02-25-2010 10:16 PM

Lol...nothing so sinister...

Its wet here in the summer (south), its HOT as holy hell, and wet...you guys get tropical storms that god only knows what kind of effect that has on things.

I grew up summers on Lake Erie at our boats, the wet and mildew and well....weather on a coast line took their toll on paint and the like, much the same way it looked at Gainesville.

Ohio weather can be harsh at times but very seldom, things dont weather as much as I notice they do in damper or hotter climates.....

Cheers

Chris

Quote:

Originally Posted by G Schenck (Post 171525)
I don't know how to take that statement.

You may not leave Atlanta in the same shape that you arrived if some crusty southern gent gets a hold of you.

Greg