CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock Tech (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Thrd Gen Camaro Recommendation (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=68861)

STR001 01-31-2018 02:02 PM

Thrd Gen Camaro Recommendation

Trying to determine which year and body style Camaro would be best for a carbureted small based cam 305. I personally like the Camaros with the ground effects. But, is there an advantage claiming the Camaro as a sport coupe over the Z-28 model for example? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Jason Tucker

Larry Hill 01-31-2018 02:42 PM

Re: Thrd Gen Camaro Recommendation

How many pounds of fruit cake is the answer worth?

jmcarter 01-31-2018 05:54 PM

For the un-enlightened, Jason lists his hometown as Claxton GA. Known around these parts at least for fruit cake. Makes for good ballast after sitting around for a few months too.

Mark Yacavone 01-31-2018 06:26 PM

Jason, Your best bet here is to tell us the exact combo and class you want to run, and where.
We'll pick it apart from there. LOL

Oh, and send me a nut assortment instead at Christmas time.
I don't even know what that stuff is in fruitcakes.

REGGIE WINKLES 01-31-2018 06:54 PM

Jason, my deal is the small cam/dished 150/244 combo. With the 84 Z/28 trim it's a natural J car, I prefer the extra weight and usually run in K. This engine combo is available for the 82-84 F-body.
The 85 & up small cam/ flat top engine is also an option, I think it fits in I or J. If I had it to do over I would go with the big cam/flat top setup. My 2 cents worth!

Larry Hill 01-31-2018 07:21 PM

I believe that fruitcake possesses a certain growth hormone.

STR001 01-31-2018 11:57 PM

Guys, this is supposed to be the 305/150 small cam, flat top piston motor which I think is for the 85 Camaro. Does it matter if I use a sport coupe Camaro vs. the z-28 style with the ground effects? Is there an advantage to using one over the other?

BTW, never been a big fan of the fruitcake but somebody must like it based on the size of the houses these owners live in that makes the stuff. I think using it as ballast is an excellent idea! Jason

MR DERBY CITY 02-01-2018 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by STR001 (Post 554925)
Guys, this is supposed to be the 305/150 small cam, flat top piston motor which I think is for the 85 Camaro. Does it matter if I use a sport coupe Camaro vs. the z-28 style with the ground effects? Is there an advantage to using one over the other?

BTW, never been a big fan of the fruitcake but somebody must like it based on the size of the houses these owners live in that makes the stuff. I think using it as ballast is an excellent idea! Jason

The answer to your question can be found in the stock classification guide under NHRA competition.....the sport coupe 85 model is a natural H car while the Berlinetta with auto ,Z28 ,and IROC are all natural I cars.....

terry1 02-01-2018 09:33 AM

The weight break of the Z28 over the "coupe" is similar to the
late 70's Z(heavier ) compared to the "coupe". The Z is natural J, where the
"coupe" is a natural I.
Terry K

stock1080 02-01-2018 10:12 AM

also if your running a stick or autoooooooooooooooooooomatic...