CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Garage Tech (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Garage/shop shelving or cabinets (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=45264)

Chris Hill 01-13-2013 11:48 AM

Garage/shop shelving or cabinets

Can anyone recommend garage shelving/cabinets that are good value? I'm looking for something that can take advantage of my almost 10 foot ceiling height.

bkraft 01-13-2013 01:01 PM

Re: Garage/shop shelving or cabinets

PM sent

Rob Petrie E395 01-13-2013 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hill (Post 365057)
Can anyone recommend garage shelving/cabinets that are good value? I'm looking for something that can take advantage of my almost 10 foot ceiling height.

Mernards has some some that looks like warehouse racking with options up to 8 feet tall. When I rebuilt my shop after the tornado its all I used and I like them alot. Not the cheapest but cheaper than real warehouse racking (600-1100 a section used) and definitly very strong and durable.

Whatever you do if your shop is not climate controlled dont buy the ones that have chipboard for the shelf. I used them in my old shop and in my house garage. When it gets humid in the summer they start to sag and after a year or two they are junk.

CycloneFE 01-13-2013 06:05 PM

Whatever you do if your shop is not climate controlled dont buy the ones that have chipboard for the shelf. I used them in my old shop and in my house garage. When it gets humid in the summer they start to sag and after a year or two they are junk.[/QUOTE]

True, I have been using Edsal from Grainger(discount from Cat) because I can add when I need and the new and old match. They had a lot of the chipboard stuff but you order it without. Menards started carrying 1/2 and 3/4 plywood in 2' strips 8' long, sanded one side. If you watch for sales you can get a percentage off and they make real nice shelves.

Stewart Way 01-14-2013 12:39 AM

One thing I have done is get several sets of cheap (Kmart) 4 ft tall units, build them upsidedown and mount them on the wall from the ceiling down. You can put them above work benches, welders or whatever. Put stuff on them you don't use every day since they will be hard to reach and they don't take up any floor space.

NewHemi 01-18-2013 11:56 PM

I picked up about 12 sections of nice wharehouse/stock room shelves from a department store that closed (value city), for $20 a section...they average between 4 and 5 shelves each unit.
Great deal, and great shelves.

But you gotta be in the right place at the right time.

David
The New Hemi Guy

Bill Baer 01-28-2013 01:34 PM

Chris

Have you considered peg board? It can hold a lot of stuff and you can see where it's hanging.

Bucky 05-29-2015 03:32 PM

Menards also has some metal cabinets that are in the orginazation area that hold up nicely and look pretty decent as well. I have a few of them.

Dave C. 05-31-2015 07:29 AM

Peg boards save a lot of floor space.

OzzyMike 08-12-2015 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave C. (Post 472230)
Peg boards save a lot of floor space.

Make your peg boards into "shadow board" - draw outlines of your tools once they are in place on the peg boards.
This helps organize your tools and stops you misplacing tools at the end of day.

Regards from OzzyMike (Australia)