CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock Tech (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Hoosier Slicks & front tires (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=70069)

Ron Miller 06-03-2018 01:45 PM

Hoosier Slicks & front tires

I'm ready to pull the plug on some Hoosier slicks, 14 x 32 & front tires 27 x 4.5. Anybody out there running Hoosiers tubless, any problems?

Thanks for looking,

Myron Piatek 06-03-2018 02:17 PM

Re: Hoosier Slicks & front tires

I've run Hoosier 9" radial slicks and either 27" or 28" fronts for 15+ years. Never had a flat due to leakage. I may have lost a few lbs a couple of times after extended periods between races, but temperature changes or a shrader valve may have been the main causes. No tubes in front or back. I haven't run their bias ply slicks.

Before Hoosier, I use to coat the insides of slicks (sidewalls) from other brands with dish soap to get away from heavy tubes.

Eman 06-04-2018 10:36 AM

I've run Hoosier slicks tubeless with no problems, smaller size 29x10.5 to 29x12. Hold air just fine but always wiped the inside with Palmolive. I have friends with 32x14's that run them tubeless with no problems and no leakage.

Dan Fahey 06-04-2018 11:25 AM

How many years do the fronts last?
Have Goodyears now.
They are light weight.

Is there a tendency for preference on Front Tires??

D

curtis reed 06-04-2018 02:04 PM

Ron I run the 14 x 32 D05 Hoosier on my car. I wouldn't run tubes I would run the stiff wall tire first before putting tubes in them. I have found that they seem to be a softer wall than the 2070 Goodyear I was running before. My car is really light so it's hard to make a good comparison to other cars but they have been great for me. I do light burnouts because the compound just doesn't need much. I have 324 passes, mostly 1/8 mile because that's just what there is here, at 5.95 down to 5.68 now. I had 289 passes at the beginning of the year and the first time out 60' was from 1.249 - 1.254.

They have sat over the winter twice without losing more than 3 lbs. I do still have my Goodyear fronts just because they aren't worn out yet. Just my experience with them but I hope this helps.

Curtis

Ron Miller 06-04-2018 02:56 PM

Guys,
Thanks for all the replies. That's what I was hoping to hear about the Hoosiers. I'm replacing GoodYears both front & back (1984 series on the rears). They both were mounted tubeless and held air just fine. I just wasn't sure about the Hoosiers. I've never run that tire before.

Thanks Again & Good Luck to all that's Racing this $eason

1320racer 06-11-2018 11:26 AM

had to check the date of this thread cause it must be 1988 if we are talking about tubes.:rolleyes:

That said, I've never run tubes ever in 25 years and my cars roll on Hoosiers. I also have never screwed my tires to the rim.

Eddie Rezac 06-12-2018 10:22 AM

The trick to running any race tires tubeless, is to paint the inside of the tire with "Green Dawn" dish soap, give them a couple of coats. Seems to work every time.
Eddie Rezac

Lenny5160 06-12-2018 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eddie Rezac (Post 565027)
The trick to running any race tires tubeless, is to paint the inside of the tire with "Green Dawn" dish soap, give them a couple of coats. Seems to work every time.
Eddie Rezac

I love that everyone who uses dish soap swears by a different brand/variety.

Myself, I'm a lemon Joy guy. I even soap my radials.

Ed Wright 06-12-2018 03:35 PM

MTs on both ends of my car. Did nothing to them. Never have leaked.