CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Nostalgia Stock and Super Stock (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   A Taste of Hemi ~ 1968 Dodge Charger (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=63538)

mopar68 09-06-2016 01:45 PM

A Taste of Hemi ~ 1968 Dodge Charger

http://116.imagebam.com/download/e46...te_of_hemi.jpg

Built by B.M. Automotive Repair in Flushing, New York. Does anyone recognize the guy(s) in the video
or know anything about the car which appears to be an original 1968 HEMI Charger R/T? This video
is from 1970 and just look at the condition of this 2 year-old car prior to modifications. A pity.

https://youtu.be/PHKd7ggiBr0

James L Miller 09-06-2016 07:17 PM

Re: A Taste of Hemi ~ 1968 Dodge Charger

Must have run in some AHRA GT or Formula Stock class with the Rat Roaster intake (it didn't blow up on start up!).

Anyone know what Jimi Hendrix song that is during the video? I've never heard that one before.

wv_bob 09-07-2016 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mopar68 (Post 514000)
This video is from 1970 and just look at the condition of this 2 year-old car prior to modifications. A pity.

Kind of puts lie to the brag over a car that has always been a race car will be nicer, doesn't it? Other than being driven in the snow, back then race cars probably got treated worse than street cars did. Plus a lot of them put in daily driver duty before conversion so they didn't escape the road salt anyway.

mopar68 09-07-2016 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James L Miller (Post 514045)
Must have run in some AHRA GT or Formula Stock class with the Rat Roaster intake (it didn't blow up on start up!).

Anyone know what Jimi Hendrix song that is during the video? I've never heard that one before.

New York National Speedway ran under AHRA sanction. Yeah, those Rat Roasters were/are notorious for that. That's why there are more used Rat Roaster bottoms around than tops. Lol.

As far as the song in the video goes, you've got good ears. But then again, it's hard not to notice Jimi Hendrix. :-) The song is called Blue Window Jam. It's from from an compilation of studio recordings from an album called Diamonds In The Dust - The Best of Jimi Hendrix Rare Studio Recordings.

Pete

mopar68 09-07-2016 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wv_bob (Post 514111)
Kind of puts lie to the brag over a car that has always been a race car will be nicer, doesn't it? Other than being driven in the snow, back then race cars probably got treated worse than street cars did. Plus a lot of them put in daily driver duty before conversion so they didn't escape the road salt anyway.

Especially in the New York city area. Well, at least the car was resurrected and transformed into a race car. I wonder what became of it afterwards?

Pete

James L Miller 09-07-2016 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mopar68 (Post 514117)
New York National Speedway ran under AHRA sanction. Yeah, those Rat Roasters were/are notorious for that. That's why there are more used Rat Roaster bottoms around than tops. Lol.

As far as the song in the video goes, you've got good ears. But then again, it's hard not to notice Jimi Hendrix. :-) The song is called Blue Window Jam. It's from from an compilation of studio recordings from an album called Diamonds In The Dust - The Best of Jimi Hendrix Rare Studio Recordings.

Pete

Thanks for the info. I've bought a lot of crap that Jimi did way before the Experience days and they kept releasing a lot of stuff after his death. I think I heard his sister Janie has gotten the rights back, so things have improved. It looks like that track is on the Martin Scorsese CD but is pretty pricey for a 1 CD release. I didn't see the Diamonds in the Dust CD available. I'll check with one of the gals from HS. She owns a large record store in Florida called Banana's. She probably has something on it.

mopar68 09-07-2016 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James L Miller (Post 514130)
Thanks for the info. I've bought a lot of crap that Jimi did way before the Experience days and they kept releasing a lot of stuff after his death. I think I heard his sister Janie has gotten the rights back...

Lol. Me too. Janie is Hendrix's "sister" only because Al Hendrix adopted her after. Nothing more. Not many people have good things to say about her.

Anyway, back to cars...

Pete

4406mopar 06-06-2017 02:49 AM

In the first pics of the car is shows white doors panels In there they are form a 69 GTX, not a Charger

GL PERF 06-08-2017 01:51 PM

OMG. I grew up in Flushing and I remember that 66 Coronet in the video driving around town. I thought it was the coolest car I had ever seen because it was so loud. I was 9 years old at the time. LOL Great memories. Thanks for sharing

mopar68 07-23-2017 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GL PERF (Post 536774)
OMG. I grew up in Flushing and I remember that 66 Coronet in the video driving around town. I thought it was the coolest car I had ever seen because it was so loud. I was 9 years old at the time. LOL Great memories. Thanks for sharing

Thank you for sharing your story!

Pete