CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   The lounge (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   NHRA drug testing (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=65595)

MikeMoller 03-17-2017 08:21 AM

NHRA drug testing

2 or 3 years ago NHRA was conducting random sportsman drug testing at national events. I was 'selected' at Charlotte a few years back. They still doing that? Haven't personally heard of anyone being tested lately.

Mark Markow 03-17-2017 09:42 AM

Re: NHRA drug testing

yes they tested at new England dragway, last year

Keith 944 03-17-2017 09:48 AM

Yes they did. If you study real hard you can pass too....

rick winchester 03-17-2017 09:57 AM

Looks to me like the people in charge need to be tested,not the racers. Rick.

MikeMoller 03-17-2017 10:16 AM

Last time I studied real hard I passed out!

63corvette 03-17-2017 01:17 PM

NHRA tested about 100 lucky racers at Topeka KS in May of 2016.
I was one of those lucky racers for the first time since the testing started.
Filled the cup and had to do the breath test on the machine.
I do not know how I missed out so long but it was a fairly easy test even for a old guy and I did not study for it either.
I did see the list when they were crossing off my name and I think it was 4 pages long. I just guessed there were about 25 people per page. I thought that was a lot for a single event.
Maybe they only do it at a few races a year and fill their quota for the year.
Happy Saint Patricks Day!
Rick in TX

John Duzac 03-18-2017 10:52 AM

Does anyone have any idea how much money it costs to drug test NHRA participants?
I was selected at work last week. I learned it costs the agency I work at $300.00 for each test. I was thinking it was $50.00 or so. The testing could run into plenty plenty money.

63corvette 03-18-2017 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Duzac (Post 529984)
Does anyone have any idea how much money it costs to drug test NHRA participants?
I was selected at work last week. I learned it costs the agency I work at $300.00 for each test. I was thinking it was $50.00 or so. The testing could run into plenty plenty money.

If the person goes to the Lab where the tests are run it is much less expensive than sending a crew out to gather the samples and document all the transfers involved in sending the samples to a lab where the tests are run.
I believe the answer is much more than $50 when NHRA contracts with a crew to do all the testing.
There is a paper trail with a chain of custody on each sample and requires lots of documentation as you probably know from being tested.
I believe NHRA does not have a choice as this type of testing is required by law by the Department of Transportation or some other Government Agency which has oversight for NHRA's safety of operation.
I worked in the natural gas industry and those employees who worked on the pipelines or compressor facilities to be tested at a certain percentage randomly each year.
Office personnel were excluded unless it was a field facility.
Just My Experience.
Rick in TX