CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   nhra w/sa (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=67873)

crichards 10-11-2017 09:55 AM

nhra w/sa

hey, I'm new to the forum and stock racing. I'm thinking about building a 1998 s10 4cyl for w/sa. if I'm right has to be a extended cab to meet 24.00 rule. the question is will that 4 cyl run good enough. is there a recommended engine shop and trans shop for this app. also if anybody recommends a better choice vehicle I'm open to all options. any help at all is appreciated. thanks

Steve Polhill 10-11-2017 10:05 AM

Re: nhra w/sa

The S-10's came with what we called the thrashing 2.5. Never looked to see what the HP#'s were on it.

Honestly I've always wondered about the 2.8/2.9L in the newer Canyon/Colorado's. We picked it for an Engine in comp because of the combustion chamber and Head flow #'s. I bet it would make a Fast Stocker. A pain to tear down due to the DOHC but fast.

Billy Nees 10-11-2017 10:37 AM

Later S-10s had 2.2L motor. I don't know about them as "race" motors but other than some headgasket problems (aluminum head iron block), I always thought they were a pretty good motor. You can adjust the bodys up or down a class.

Steve Polhill 10-11-2017 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billy Nees (Post 547408)
Later S-10s had 2.2L motor. I don't know about them as "race" motors but other than some headgasket problems (aluminum head iron block), I always thought they were a pretty good motor. You can adjust the bodys up or down a class.

ahh yes, the 2.2 was almost identical to the engine that cane in the cavaliers/sunfires

crichards 10-11-2017 11:23 AM

It has the 2.2 and heads and gaskets are a problem but there plenty out there. I think class min is 16.00 in 1/8 mile. Does it have to run that to race or faster then that for a record. I have raced lots of nitrous stuff and index like 6.0 and 4.70 but stock is all new and looks like a great challenge

Billy Nees 10-11-2017 11:59 AM

Go to the top of this page. Click on NHRA competition icon. on the left side of the page under Tech, click on Rules. Familiarize yourself with the rules. Then go to Dwight Southerland's site, you can get to it from the classracer home page.

Mark Yacavone 10-11-2017 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crichards (Post 547414)
It has the 2.2 and heads and gaskets are a problem but there plenty out there. I think class min is 16.00 in 1/8 mile. Does it have to run that to race or faster then that for a record. I have raced lots of nitrous stuff and index like 6.0 and 4.70 but stock is all new and looks like a great challenge

HP is too high, IMO.
It got hit 5 when the truck indexes were soft.
Rather see you build an 82 Firebird/ Camaro for W/SA ..Bigger engine, less HP.Still fuel injection.
You have to dial 16.65 or faster in the quarter mile. Don't know where you can run S/SS in the 1/8th.
Should be able to budget build one to run .65 under. Cam blanks, header parts, trans cases readily available.
Can't recommend an engine/ trans builder near you until you fill out your profile more completely.

crichards 10-11-2017 01:04 PM

Firebird would be a 2.5 engine? I considered a camaro berlinetta with a 2.5 but couldn't find one I'd rather have a car v/s a truck if I could find one. I'll try to complete the profile but I'm near Charlotte nc there are some 1/8 mile divisional races at galot rockingham I think z max that's were I'd get started to earn a chance to run a national. Thanks

crichards 10-11-2017 01:59 PM

Ok Billy I read some of the rules and I'm confused a bit. If I use a regular cab s10 that puts me in u class but I can add weight to the truck and run w is that how it works. ( if I can find a camaro or firebird I will but I have the truck worst case). Thanks for all the help

Dwight Southerland 10-11-2017 02:31 PM

Yes, that is how it works. If you are using my website information, it will show you all the classes you can run with the '98 S10 4cyl, plus the weights of the car (or truck) for each class and the indexes you have to run. 3266 lbs, for W/SA, 3146 for W/S. The regular cab short box truck fits W by adding weight.