CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Bracket Racing (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Index Racing (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=56356)

oldskool 01-08-2015 01:12 AM

Index Racing

2 Attachment(s)
A couple of 1/8 mile tracks in my area are running what I call index racing, at least once a month. They have several classes like 8.0, 7.0, 6.5, 6.0, and 5.5. Is this still considered bracket racing ?

Do they run races like this all over the country, or is this a local deal ? :confused:

Adger Smith 01-08-2015 03:20 AM

Re: Index Racing

Come on, your giving way too much credit to these two track owners.
Their Idea? I don't think so. You know they have to pipe sunshine in to us here where we live.. LOL.
How about this one: You might be a Redneck if your race car trailer is bigger than the one you live in..... LOL I saw that on a post here and it hit my funny bone. I just had to pass that one around, esp in my family.

Stephen & Horace Johnson 01-08-2015 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldskool (Post 457810)
A couple of 1/8 mile tracks in my area are running what I call index racing, at least once a month. They have several classes like 8.0, 7.0, 6.5, 6.0, and 5.5. Is this still considered bracket racing ?

Do they run races like this all over the country, or is this a local deal ? :confused:

They have been doing this for 10 years in my area..I ran 7.0 with my mustang and a few 6.0 with my superstocker. It has died off the last 2 years.. High entry and not much payout..

Tar Heel 01-08-2015 03:40 PM

For whatever reason that seems to be a popular trend in racing now. IHRA has put an 11.50 index class in to draw cars and is even letting folks run it this year at the selected events to plan to contest it without having an IHRA membership. I consider it bracket racing; everyone in a respective class just has the same dial. No different that Super Gas, etc. I'm not exactly sure what the draw it but it seems to be popular among racers.

Scott

BLIND MULE 01-09-2015 12:47 AM

In Alabama we run it alot at different tracks just about every week. One track has it almost every week and it pays $500 win $300 ru $100 semis $15 entry and that includes gate fee! 6.0 7.0 one week 6.50 7.50 next plus it's only 25 minutes for me! No throttle stops .400 tree for all classes. Some tracks have a .500 tree for slower classes for the guys to lazy to make there car work on a .400 tree. Now before some one says my 3000 lb. car cant go .400 yes you can it just takes work we did it for years and had good luck!

It's alot of fun try it if you have a race in your area.

Eman 01-10-2015 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldskool (Post 457810)

It's bracket racing, but your dial in is set at the index. I don't know where you are but it's popular and growing. Why? you ask. Simple reason is it's more like heads up and spectators can grasp it better with both cars leaving at the same time. They don't allow throttle stops so it looks like a real heads up race. Some classes use transbrakes and most are on a pro tree, some .400 and some.500 rules vary.

jmcarter 01-10-2015 10:27 AM

Division 2 has been running 10.0, 11.0 and 12.0 classes at most Divisional Events for at least three years. Car counts have been increasing for the most part and they get several crossovers from Stock and Super Street primarily. They cater to the lower budget racers in many cases and you can generally show up Saturday mornings and get 2 qualifying runs. Details on the D2 website...

67champ 03-22-2015 11:25 PM

Wish they would run it more everywhere! It's a blast to run... Make slight adjustments to your car based on weather changes run to run; Pro tree, Heads up on the index, work the finish like a bracket race. Fun City!

Mike Pearson 03-23-2015 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmcarter (Post 458043)
Division 2 has been running 10.0, 11.0 and 12.0 classes at most Divisional Events for at least three years. Car counts have been increasing for the most part and they get several crossovers from Stock and Super Street primarily. They cater to the lower budget racers in many cases and you can generally show up Saturday mornings and get 2 qualifying runs. Details on the D2 website...

This year they are only running the 11.0 class in div 2. Never had very good car counts in the index class. But then all of the classes are down in numbers. IHRA actually has a better payout than NHRA at a points race.

rognelson777 03-24-2015 01:07 PM

It does have one big advantage over bracket racing and that is worst Red light looses. So no faster car advantage on redlights.

Usually here in the PA NJ area, no dragsters or altereds, must have doors and be left hand drive and most no sponsors on sheet metal, windows only.

Top racers in this area tend to use some type of throttle stop, changing nitrous timers, shift points, adding weight or some allow under carb mechanically adjustable plates that restrict flow.

Bill Baer 03-25-2015 12:20 AM

The name "bracket racing" came from the 60's where they created different brackets with common breakouts. It wasn't dial you own handicap the handicap was fixed and we left at the same time .
we used-to run ET6 which had a 12.50 breakout (index) ET 7 had a 13.00 breakout and so on.
So the only thing new about index racing is the name in the 60's we simply called it bracket racing.

NYNitro86 05-26-2015 07:33 PM

there should be a thread for heads up Index Racing regardless if it's 1/4 or 1/8 Mile. Here in the Northeast we have 8.50, 10.00 and 11.50 Index at Cecil, Atco, Island, Maple Grove, Englishtown, Epping etc. The Summernats will have 11.50 invitational Again as well.

Todd Geisler 05-08-2016 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYNitro86 (Post 471764)
there should be a thread for heads up Index Racing regardless if it's 1/4 or 1/8 Mile. Here in the Northeast we have 8.50, 10.00 and 11.50 Index at Cecil, Atco, Island, Maple Grove, Englishtown, Epping etc. The Summernats will have 11.50 invitational Again as well.

Index racing is very well supported by racers here in the northeast.

Here's some rules from 8.50, 10.0 and 11.50.

8.50 Index
¼ mile race, 16 car field, 28+ cars will run 32 car field.
1. .400 Pro tree heads up start with 7 second auto start.
2. NHRA Pro ladder.
3. Deep staging allowed, but auto start will be on at all times. Courtesy staging
advised.
4. Minimum weight 2800lbs. Cars will be randomly selected for weight check.
5. Full bodied street appearing cars only. No roadsters, altereds or dragsters
allowed.
6.Lettering on windows permitted. Lettering on car must be approved before
competition.
7. Full roundand square tube chassis prohibited.
8. Stock style front suspension mandatory, bolt on aftermarket parts permitted.
9. Trans brake & two step permitted.
10. Throttle stops/controllers, delay boxes/devices PROHIBITED.
11. After market automatic shifters or shifting devices PROHIBITED. Car must
either be shifted by driver or must be a function of OEM stock equipment.
12. Mufflers mandatory on all vehicles except turbo charged vehicles inserts are not
mufflers.
13. Car & Driver must meet NHRA & track safety rules.
14. Gasoline, E85 and alcohol permitted. Nitromethane prohibited.
15. Maximum tire size of 33x10.5w or any size drag radial.

10.00 & 11.50 Index
- ¼ mile racing, 16 car field, 32+ cars will run 32 car field
1. 500 Pro tree heads up start with 7 second auto start.
2. Full bodied street appearing cars only.
3. Finished interiors with either a full front bench seat or 2 front bucket seats
mandatory.
4. Mufflers mandatory except on turbo charged entries, inserts are not mufflers.
5. DOT tire maximum size 30x13.5, any size drag radial or slicks maximum size
of 29.5x10.5(non “w”)
6. Gasoline, E85 & alcohol permitted. Nitromethane prohibited.
7. Stock frame and back half cars permitted. Full round or square tube chassis
prohibited.
8. Tubbed cars permitted.
9. Throttle stops/controllers, delay boxes/devices PROHIBITED.
10. After market automatic shifters or shifting devices PROHIBITED. Car must
either be shifted by driver or must be a function of OEM stock equipment.
11. any type power adder permitted
12. NHRA Pro ladder.
13. Deep staging allowed, but autostart will be on at all times. Courtesy staging
advised.
14. Wheelie bars prohibited

Todd Geisler 05-08-2016 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mustangf111 (Post 502941)
I think index racing could invigorate bracket racing. Not just for racers but
for spectators too. Wouldn't it be nice for track operators to have a bigger
pool of cash to pay purses & take some of the load off the racers to support the purse & the track operator. No spectator enjoys watching
staggered starts, it just doesn't look like a drag race. The biggest
drawback to index participation I find is they draw up the rules like it's
for streetcars only. I raced index, & would love to do it more, but the street rules keep my car out. To me index is index as long as you have
a door car, what difference does it make?

In the northeast these classes are run at street car events and are designed for cars that are street appearing race cars. Most of these guys prefer to race against other street appearing cars. If they wanted to race against tin can, light weight bracket cars they would do just that and bracket race.

At Cecil we have no issues with car counts. They are all qualifying fields and the minimum field is a 16 car field, most get a full 32 car field. At the Yellowbullet Nationals (8.50 index) we usually have 65-70 cars trying to qualify for the field which btw pays out $7500.

Normal race day payout 8.50 Index is winner $1,250 - r/u $550 - semis $200 - ¼ Finals
(16+cars) $75

http://northeastindexracers.com/

Keith 944 05-09-2016 08:58 AM

I have been running my streetcar in the 1150 index class although I also have a super gas /super street car. I like the fact that this is more of a street oriented class with Limited modifications and it usually pays fairly well and is a blast to participate in

Todd Geisler 05-10-2016 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mustangf111 (Post 503156)
Why have a limited field?

You have to earn your spot to be in the field and on the qualifying sheet. Makes qualifying more exciting for racers and spectators. Also with 8.50 series points are awarded for qualifying position.

With Cecil for example, there are typically anywhere from 8 to 10 classes being raced on the Street Car Shootout Saturday's. You cannot simply allow all run fields in all classes and expect to finish the race in one day. All classes are based on qualifying fields except Super and Pro Street which are street car oriented bracket classes which are all run fields.

1320racer 05-12-2016 10:50 AM

it will never replace bracket racing. it has regional popularity and the participants are largely wannabe heads up racers that can't afford to play with that group and their $100,000+ cars, constant rules changes and wreck before lifting mentality. Same group can't buy a round in footbrake, no box or the electronics class nor have the skill to drive the top end and once the seasoned bracket racers jump in, they dominate and the result is the wanabe heads up crowd find somewhere else to play.

Adger Smith 05-13-2016 09:02 AM

Ed you are so full of information.
I'm glad you are an expert at running race tracks, too and can tell us all about Index racing.

1320racer 05-13-2016 04:42 PM

my pleasure and you're welcome

NSSGTO 05-26-2016 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1320racer (Post 503283)
it will never replace bracket racing. it has regional popularity and the participants are largely wannabe heads up racers that can't afford to play with that group and their $100,000+ cars, constant rules changes and wreck before lifting mentality. Same group can't buy a round in footbrake, no box or the electronics class nor have the skill to drive the top end and once the seasoned bracket racers jump in, they dominate and the result is the wanabe heads up crowd find somewhere else to play.

Wow!! Just read this--- you have no clue.

1320racer 05-26-2016 09:10 PM

it's you that is clueless!

NSSGTO 05-26-2016 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1320racer (Post 504528)
it's you that is clueless!

Well I usually don't feed the troll- but the NMCA World Champion Trophy in my office says otherwise.

1320racer 05-27-2016 04:34 AM

says the troll with 3 posts now. :rolleyes::" Meanwhile, the wally's in my office trump your bs trophy. :p

pfordamx 11-01-2016 03:53 PM

I don't see the issue with the wannabee heads up racer, they need a place to play why not give the guys without 100,000 dollar headsup cars a place its good for the track good for the guys looking for a place to race there 9-11 second cars really no issue with this. its just like gas or comp without the electronics. i've thought for awhile they should make superstreet and super gas factory frame rail and 10.5 inch tire classes, might make it more interesting.

hemiman4262003 11-20-2016 07:07 AM

local track bonne terre drag strips,ran index for 2 years,untill somebody shoed them they can bracket race with there timing set up,so now they run bracket races only,1-index race at the end of each month,there classes is,5.50,60,6.50,7.0,7.5,8,8.5,9.0,9.5,10.0,somethi ng for everyone on a 400 pro tree,then after the classes they have a all run pro tree bracket race,love index racing

The Hawk 12-03-2016 11:59 AM

Bandimere started a new 12.00 class 2 years ago. No electronics, no throttle stops, no deep staging. Trans brake and nitrous ok. Pretty interesting, some cross the stripe at 85 mph, some at 115.

cmracing 12-04-2016 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Hawk (Post 521401)
Bandimere started a new 12.00 class 2 years ago. No electronics, no throttle stops, no deep staging. Trans brake and nitrous ok. Pretty interesting, some cross the stripe at 85 mph, some at 115.

Why no Deep Staging? This run on a 500 or 600 Pro Tree?

The Hawk 12-04-2016 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmracing (Post 521461)
Why no Deep Staging? This run on a 500 or 600 Pro Tree?

.500 pro tree, just like Super Street. Courtesy staging in affect.

67champ 02-01-2017 07:45 PM

I like the deep staging rule from what Todd posted, except I never really cared if guys courtesy stage or not...auto start takes care of anything I would be worried about :

"Deep staging allowed, but auto start will be on at all times. Courtesy staging
advised."

And, yes, I am a deep stager...since about 1993. :-)
I will definitely seek out Index Racing again in the coming years once I retire from work...

Mike Rietow 05-11-2017 02:33 AM

You won't get lonely out there all by yourself, like you might with a one or two second head start. It's fun if you don't mind a little company breathing down your neck.

Mike Rietow 08-19-2017 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adger Smith (Post 503360)
Ed you are so full of information.
I'm glad you are an expert at running race tracks, too and can tell us all about Index racing.

Ed has it backwards. Ed hasn't figured out drag racing is heads up, or that "wannabe drag racers" don't want to buy a round in footbrake. Footbrake is the last thing on any "wannabe drag racers" mind. Hey Ed you also havn't realized,.. any Tom, Dick or Harry can adjust their reaction time using a timer to do so.

cicero819 09-16-2017 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Hawk (Post 521401)

I think that you should ban trans brake and allow deep staging.

Mike Rietow 01-12-2018 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cicero819 (Post 545243)
I think that you should ban trans brake and allow deep staging.

Might as well bracket race. If you wanna drag race 4 tenths pro tree.

Mike Rietow 06-12-2018 10:15 AM

400 pro tree or even 370 pro tree staged shallow isn't a problem. You just gotta be strong in making adjustments to the car. This is a street car with a souped up N/A 23 degree sbc. Stock all steel Nova with the front and back seat taken out with one Kirkey seat, stock instrument panel and dash, with roll up windows on 10x28's. It's a myth these cars won't move on a 400 or even 370 pro tree staged shallow. 4400 leave chip.

https://youtu.be/5Fdhx6u-d5o?t=51

X-TECH MAN 06-13-2018 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Hawk (Post 521477)
.500 pro tree, just like Super Street. Courtesy staging in affect.

NHRA's S/ST .500 pro tree is really .470. The S/G and S/C .400 trees are really .370 even though the rule book says .400 and .500.