CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   The lounge (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   Justin Bieber busted for DUI & Drag Racing (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=51496)

Jim Kaekel 01-23-2014 09:46 AM

Justin Bieber busted for DUI & Drag Racing

I didn't even know he was a drag racer. I don't recall seeing this clown at the track. Another idiot helping give our sport a bad name and the mainstream media's pounces on the opportunity.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/23/showbi...html?hpt=hp_t1

Dick Butler 01-23-2014 09:59 AM

Re: Justin Bieber busted for DUI & Drag Racing

Again the MEDIA uses whatever term to make the headline....Kind of like BLIZZARD. Unfortunately it brings the viewers. Look at the NFL rant that has gained the guy national coverage for being obnoxious. It is the News. Forget the Debt, Jobless numbers, Insurance being dumped...(Probably willl get moved to Lounge)

Run to Rund 01-23-2014 10:35 AM

Too bad CNN considers him newsworthy.

art leong 01-23-2014 11:32 AM

This time it sounds like the media got it right.
Seems like they had the street blocked off, and both cars lift from a stop. That's drag racing.

Dave1695 01-23-2014 11:49 AM

Like all of us true drag racers, I took exception to the story being identified with our sport. A couple years ago, I called a local TV station regarding the exact same miss leading information they gave, about a fatal crash on the highway during a "drag race". The exchange was some what heated, as the newsman didn't like being corrected. I finally convinced him it was a STREET RACE not a drag race, and had nothing to do with our sport. They haven't made the same mistake since. just my two cents!

John Kelley 01-23-2014 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave1695 (Post 417712)
Like all of us true drag racers, I took exception to the story being identified with our sport. A couple years ago, I called a local TV station regarding the exact same miss leading information they gave, about a fatal crash on the highway during a "drag race". The exchange was some what heated, as the newsman didn't like being corrected. I finally convinced him it was a STREET RACE not a drag race, and had nothing to do with our sport. They haven't made the same mistake since. just my two cents!

Before the FIRST "drag strip" was opened by CJ "Pappy" Hart.....it was called DRAG RACING.......get over it !!

farmco r/sa 01-23-2014 12:09 PM

"fast and sorta furious"??

Harry 6674 01-23-2014 12:11 PM

I wonder if your street racing and turn left, will they call it stock car racing?

art leong 01-23-2014 12:21 PM

An acceleration contest between 2 cars, starting from a stopped position is a drag race.
If it's on a track or on a street.
Two cars weaving in and out of traffic is not drag racing. But the media usually calls it that.

Myron Piatek 01-23-2014 12:50 PM

Bottom line.....it is illegal racing on the street and shouldn't be confused with the legal activity we participate it. We have enough issues and identity crisis, mainly with spectators relating to sportsman handicap racing. We don't need ANY negative associations. Nascar has done a lot to get away from their "moonshine" roots. But it has gotten too "politically correct". As mentioned earlier, the media doesn't call it "stock car racing", "road course racing" or whatever style of driving is being illegally displayed. It's illegal, it's on the street - it should be accurately identified as "illegal street racing", so the average fan/spectator who often doesn't know squat about the mechanics and finesse of real racing knows the difference and doesn't carry around the subconsious negative notion of "drag racing" after hearing a news report of a "drag racer" plowing through a crown of spectators on the side of the road or splattering himself and a passenger against a concrete pole.