CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Class Racer Builds (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   '67 El Camino H/SA (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=58897)

MR DERBY CITY 07-26-2017 11:22 PM

Re: '67 El Camino H/SA

Quote:

Originally Posted by HandOverFist (Post 540289)
All I can report at this time is the effect it had at the last outing. Weather permitting I will be taking it to Bowling Green this Saturday afternoon and the et slip will determine what it wants.

If your SBC likes 50 degrees of timing, it will be the first one .....are you sure TDC is correct ?......

HandOverFist 07-27-2017 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MR DERBY CITY (Post 540320)
If your SBC likes 50 degrees of timing, it will be the first one .....are you sure TDC is correct ?......

Yeah, TDC is correct. Those racers I mentioned earlier run Stockers .900 under and quicker...they showed me the graphs of the runs, the switches in the shifter and the qualifying sheets tell no lies. ;)

pfordamx 07-27-2017 09:12 AM

No harm in trying it, if it doesn't like it what are you out one pass, and isn't trying things the name of the game in stock and superstock. I always thought that was the key to speed buy it, try it, and put it on the shelf

HandOverFist 07-30-2017 04:58 PM

Results are on hold for a bit...lost first gear in the metric right at the hit on it's first pass yesterday. :mad:

HandOverFist 09-10-2017 01:07 PM

The metric is still in the shop, but I have a new Coan LW TH350 along with a matching converter in the car now. I figured with the added low gear set I would'nt lose too much vs the metric. I'm looking for it to be a more durable unit in the long run.

Concerning the timing experiment - While the new parts may negate an accurate comparison for now, I cannot discern much difference in performance between the two transmissions/converters. Took it to a local bracket race last night and had a limited amount of time to experiment (did make it to round 5 tho). It is still hitting like a hammer at launch with wheels in the air...the reduction in 60' times nearly a tenth just as it showed with the metric combo.

I'm pretty well convinced the results are due to the timing alterations. Next outing I will try some subtle changes such as pulling the timing back sooner.

HandOverFist 09-18-2017 03:48 PM

Sneaking up on it...a 1.50 60' on this pass. I need to figure out how to adjust the H&R bar to level it out. Also the carb I built is super rich down track...did'nt even lean out beyond 12.2 afr. :eek:

http://i434.photobucket.com/albums/q...psmjencc3m.jpg

Another secret weapon...:p

http://i434.photobucket.com/albums/q...psffef3db2.jpg

HandOverFist 10-23-2017 02:35 PM

I have a question not related really to this thread, but don't know where the appropriate section would be.

Ordered a Sundowner enclosed gooseneck trailer over three months ago from Trailer World in Bowling Green KY. Half the purchase price was paid upfront. I was under the impression that it would arrive in two months time...a phone call after that period got no definite answer. Another phone call was made after three months had elapsed just to get some kind of estimate of a delivery date...fellow told me he was busy unloading trailers and he would check on it, but never got back to me.

Is this a normal waiting period for a new trailer and normal customer relations? Fast approaching four months now and don't want to be a dick, but... :rolleyes:

bigsixman 10-23-2017 04:26 PM

Rich, It took 8 weeks to receive my enclosed after I ordered it in 2010. I am aware that some in my area are waiting 10-12 weeks this year.

Dave Noll 10-23-2017 04:52 PM

Can't offer anything about the trailer. I still use a 36-year-old, homebuilt, open, single axle car trailer. (No I'm not adding another axle.:rolleyes:)

For the naysayers, I have had similar results with a lot of ignition timing. Yes, I've checked TDC, a few times, with different balancers. On mine, it helped down track as well, though.

goinbroke2 10-23-2017 07:24 PM

If everything is correct (balancer/marker/etc) I'm wondering if being a stocker cam on a less than ideal shortblock is producing low cyl pressure and the timing advanced that far is making up for it? As the rpm goes up, the better the cam breathes (less overlap losses of cyl pressure) and it gradually gets back to what is considered normal at 36*?

I'm thinking a tight ring package and decked block so the quench area is ideal and higher static compression would produce more cyl pressure and require less advance on the bottom?

What is the cranking pressure?