CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   faster car = more consistent? (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=67886)

tgallagher 10-11-2017 09:38 PM

faster car = more consistent?

Few weeks ago saw a '79 Dodge Colt on Ebay. Wow!, it was a car show car, RWD stick-1.6 liter! (get thinking what class is below W)? But, then again other than wagons, the big body cars don't seem to have much representation either--a' la Ford Torino's, etc. Struggling with why some combo's under the rules, generally speaking, just don't make good race cars -but, I wish I knew more as to why it seems that way?

Mike Jones 10-11-2017 11:07 PM

Re: faster car = more consistent?

Quote:

Originally Posted by tgallagher (Post 547474)
Few weeks ago saw a '79 Dodge Colt on Ebay. Wow!, it was a car show car, RWD stick-1.6 liter! (get thinking what class is below W)? But, then again other than wagons, the big body cars don't seem to have much representation either--a' la Ford Torino's, etc. Struggling with why some combo's under the rules, generally speaking, just don't make good race cars -but, I wish I knew more as to why it seems that way?

People would rather be driving the chase car, not the one being chased...
Mike A114

Tim Kish 10-12-2017 09:31 AM

faster car is less affected by weather changes - very generically if air changes by 1%: 1% of 8 seconds is less movement than 1% of 12 seconds.

Andys dad 10-12-2017 09:50 AM

I wish somebody would tell Jody Lang ...

Ron

jmcarter 10-12-2017 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Kish (Post 547510)
faster car is less affected by weather changes - very generically if air changes by 1%: 1% of 8 seconds is less movement than 1% of 12 seconds.

Considering wind changes and time between runs 1% is a pretty modest change. You could easily see 5-10 times that. Wind was always my biggest concern running in G. When running my chassis Avenger in Super Street I frequently had a MPH advantage and didn’t seem near as affected by wind.

Ron, if we all could drive the stripe like Jody or Dan then it really wouldn’t matter would it? LOL

Mark Yacavone 10-12-2017 11:13 AM

T, In my opinion, any car should be consistent , if it runs smooth and has a good driver
The variables are usually wheel spin , weather, (including wind).
I never bought too much into the " more time on track equals more inconsistency" theory. The car has to be predictable, and that's up to the driver /crew.

ALMACK 10-12-2017 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Yacavone (Post 547522)
T, In my opinion, any car should be consistent , if it runs smooth and has a good driver
The variables are usually wheel spin , weather, (including wind).
I never bought too much into the " more time on track equals more inconsistency" theory. The car has to be predictable, and that's up to the driver /crew.

I agree.
More important than consistency is predictability.

However, predictability is derived from a lot of testing under various conditions. Lots of variables. And it also relies heavily on consistency.

Bottom line....predictability does not come cheap

ALMACK 10-12-2017 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Jones (Post 547482)
People would rather be driving the chase car, not the one being chased...
Mike A114

Agree ^^

However my bank account dictates how fast I go, so I have focused more on learning all the advantages of being the slower car 80 % of the time in Stock and 100 % of the time in SS.

Mark Yacavone 10-12-2017 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALMACK (Post 547524)
Agree ^^

However my bank account dictates how fast I go, so I have focused more on learning all the advantages of being the slower car 80 % of the time in Stock and 100 % of the time in SS.

Mr T , I think you will find that most folks that can afford the NHRA BS of 5-6 divisionals to get into a national , that costs more and pays less, can probable afford an 11 second or faster too. It's just more fun , to most.
You will see more of the budget built, slower cars over at the independent S/SS races.
Some of them do quite well over there ;-)

Pete Lanciers 10-12-2017 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andys dad (Post 547513)
I wish somebody would tell Jody Lang ...

Ron

Good one Ron, that tested my bladder control!