CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock Tech (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   EX IHRA Stocker What does my car fit at NHRA (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=68478)

Birch motor cars 12-13-2017 04:28 PM

EX IHRA Stocker What does my car fit at NHRA

I have an ex IHRA Stock Eliminator car (68 Camaro) that ran as a Crate Motor car for years. Car has no engine, car is mini tubed, leaf spring with cal tracs. What class will this car fit into at NHRA ? Will be a small block. Im assuming it will have to be ran as a Super Stocker being mini tubed ? If your going to bash me for having a crate motor car please refrain yourself and not comment. I know I need a rule book but just thought someone could answer a simple question as to class selection. :cool:

Rusty Gillis 12-13-2017 04:38 PM

Re: EX IHRA Stocker What does my car fit at NHRA

Quote:

Originally Posted by Birch motor cars (Post 551720)
I have an ex IHRA Stock Eliminator car (68 Camaro) that ran as a Crate Motor car for years. Car has no engine, car is mini tubed, leaf spring with cal tracs. What class will this car fit into at NHRA ? Will be a small block. Im assuming it will have to be ran as a Super Stocker being mini tubed ? If your going to bash me for having a crate motor car please refrain yourself and not comment. I know I need a rule book but just thought someone could answer a simple question as to class selection. :cool:

Yes you will have to run Super Stock unless you can put the stock wheelhouses back in.

HR9121 12-13-2017 04:58 PM

Are you going to run 327 or the 350? Also a possibility would be GT classes I think.

jmcarter 12-13-2017 05:20 PM

GT would give you the option of buying any legal GM SS motor and running. Get access to the greatest tool around by going to ClassRacerinfo.com and following the link. This is a 1000 times easier than going through all of the classification guides on nhraracer.com

HR9121 12-13-2017 08:30 PM

What Jim said x2! Very informative website to say the least, good luck.

2021STK 12-13-2017 11:35 PM

Check on Classracerinfo.com for your '68 combo's in the Stock-SS class tool for outside of the GT classes.

Good luck,

Myron Piatek 12-14-2017 08:10 AM

IMO, if the replacing the mini-tubs is the biggest change you need to make to fit Stock, I would suggest taking that route. The learning curve, time and expense will be much easier to handle than going into SS. The variety of available engines is also a plus.

jmcarter 12-14-2017 10:00 AM

If you decide to put the regular tubs back in you might consider the 327 two barrel combination; Sorensen has proven it to be potent and can hold it's own in heads up runs. If you jump up to the 396 you're going to be spending a lot of $ any way you go. Don't necessarily think one of the GT classes would be a bad deal, lots of people have GT cars that don't spin the high RPM which makes SS more costly. Factors in favor of SS is any GM motor will work (Dave Barcelon's 327 Larry Stewart built motor for sale sounds like a good buy BTW, particularly if you can fit enough tire) and can use trans brake and electric/air shifter. Only you can decide the budget and how fast you want to go; just trying to help a former crate motor racer make the switch. Good luck

Billy Nees 12-14-2017 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmcarter (Post 551756)
If you decide to put the regular tubs back in you might consider the 327 two barrel combination; Sorensen has proven it to be potent and can hold it's own in heads up runs.

Sorensen's deal is a 69 350 2V. The 67-68 327 2V has WAY too small a carb and too high a HP factor. Even I wouldn't do the 327.

jmcarter 12-14-2017 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billy Nees (Post 551758)
Sorensen's deal is a 69 350 2V. The 67-68 327 2V has WAY too small a carb and too high a HP factor. Even I wouldn't do the 327.

Thanks Billy, my bad. Saw Sorensen's car at Woodburn this past summer and was very impressed and just glossed over the model year. Besides, I was busy admiring Jared's 64 Dodge. All the more reason to pour over Dwight's classracerinfo website including the specs.

Nitro Joe's stats are a great resource as well when seeing just how deep the water is before diving in.