CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Beginner Stock/Super Stock Racer (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=70156)

ZachR 06-12-2018 04:08 PM

Beginner Stock/Super Stock Racer

I have been racing for many years and have always wanted to race in stock or super stock, and I have finally decided to go for it, but I have some questions. Where do I need to start to get going? After I get a car (since mine is a local bracket car), how do i get a license? Can I just register for a divisional event? How many races do you need to get into a national event? How much does it cost to enter?

I have a bunch more, but don't want to just make a huge list of questions on here. Does anyone have any webistes that have information about all of this?

Thanks in advance!

Dave Muller 06-12-2018 04:27 PM

Re: Beginner Stock/Super Stock Racer

I can get you started just a little bit. This information may in some cases be different in Super Stock or the faster classes in stock. I'm running in N/SA.

There's no special license needed and you just enter a divisional at the track, no pre-entry required. For national events you have to have enough grade points to get in under the quota before it fills up. You get one grade point for each divisional or national open. They use the higher of you GPs from last year or the current year.

You can find a lot of this on nhraracer.com.

A divisional entry fee is $170 as I recall. Others can give you more info and correct anything I got wrong, I'm still pretty new to this myself

Hacksaw 06-12-2018 04:29 PM

All good questions. Do some advance planning concerning what class you would desire to run and things like affordability, availability of parts, required maintenance and how hard you want to chase it. No licence is required if you run slower than 9.99 et in the quarter and you may just show up to run a divisional or open. You need about 4 or 5 grade points to enter a Nat., unless your lucky and someone pulls out last minute. It's like 240.00 + 120.00 insurance fee for a Nat.

ZachR 06-12-2018 04:48 PM

The car will probably be in the 10 second range. How often are you torn down? Not asking for "suspicious" reasons, mainly for the hastle of it.

Jim Kaekel 06-12-2018 04:57 PM

Tear downs aren't done as often as they once were, mainly only at US Nats. I'm not sure if you're looking at converting your current car to a Stocker, but choose carefully before you take the plunge. Many are often further ahead if they just buy a proven car from the get-go.

Bob Don 06-12-2018 04:59 PM

Before you start you have to contact the NHRA and get a permanent number and membership. You'll get a permanent number card which will also serve as "license" of sorts. Your permanent number and class must be applied to the car with paint or stickers (no shoe polish).

When you enter your first divisional you'll be teched and all your safety equipment will be checked (belts, clothing, etc.). Get a rule book.

You'll only get torn down if you set a record or you're protested. Teardowns are random at Indy. Of course, there is always a threat of any unannounced teardown at any event but that rarely occurs.

Good luck.

ZachR 06-12-2018 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Kaekel (Post 565056)
Tear downs aren't done as often as they once were, mainly only at US Nats. I'm not sure if you're looking at converting your current car to a Stocker, but choose carefully before you take the plunge. Many are often further ahead if they just buy a proven car from the get-go.

I will be buying a car, the one I have now is FAR from legal in either class.

nickh 06-12-2018 05:16 PM

Zach There is a J/SA Pontiac in classifieds that has a hurt motor to what extent I don't know but the car has been around and proven. Not sure what your budget is, check the classifieds here often and folks are putting proven combo's on there.

Frank Castros 06-12-2018 05:38 PM

I would recommend a lower classed SS/GT car, GT/L-Q.

Nmbr1GMfan 06-12-2018 06:07 PM

I'm new too, this website and classracerinfo.com are a welth of knowledge. I suggest you look at classifieds here and stock/superstock on racingjunk.com, buying a running car is WAY cheaper.