CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Competition Tech (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Chevelle rear suspension (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=69728)

oldsboy 04-29-2018 10:19 PM

Chevelle rear suspension

1971 chevelle need advice spinning rear tires current has drag bags 456 gear and 29-9-15

Tom Goldman 05-08-2018 09:08 AM

Re: Chevelle rear suspension

Probably would get more response on Stock /SS tech forum.
That said , this is one of the most worked out rear suspensions , lots of aftermarket parts available ,but can be made to hook like crazy with simple old school mods.
If you don't have them bolt on upper "no hop " brackets are the starting point .
they are necessary to get the 4 bar geometry to a usable intersection .
Stock arms can be boxed and reinforced and solid bushings installed ,but there are so many aftermarket parts available with bearings or bushings it not worthwhile using the stock stuff unless you're on a really tight budget .
Leave the rear anti roll bar on , disconnect or remove the front antiroll bar .
Good front arm bushings are a must ,but if you are on a budget you can grind the serrations off the inner sleeve and just snug the bolt , allowing more freedom of movement .
Good shocks are a must but , I've seen many an A body hook up great with just old school Chassis Engineering 3 way adjustable shocks.
As far as springs go , good stock rear springs will suffice , the front springs should be replaced with longer, lighter springs with more stored energy from Moroso or Landrum .
Use your air bags for preloading the right rear , good ballpark is 4-5 # left 10-15 #right ,if you need height,change the springs at use a cast aluminum spacer at the top.
You can probably do most of the work for under $500.

HandOverFist 05-08-2018 09:28 PM

Some of what has been mentioned such as no-hops, but invest in a real anti-roll bar like a HRParts@Stuff and lose the airbags completely. The real trick is getting the front-end to work properly and no amount of tweaking on the other end will compensate for the other.

Dick Butler 06-17-2018 10:16 PM

Cheap Lakewood Bolt on traction bars work very well with single air bag on rt in spring.
Loose front shocks and check travel length. Very basic but helped my wagon

Tom keedle 06-27-2018 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Butler (Post 565441)
Cheap Lakewood Bolt on traction bars work very well with single air bag on rt in spring.
Loose front shocks and check travel length. Very basic but helped my wagon

you surely don't mean Lakewood bolt on ladder bars do you:?
had those POS's on a 66 Chevelle, bound up the rear end so bad, no amount of exlax could fix it....

Dick Butler 07-15-2018 09:37 PM

These were an add-on type. did not replace any component. the 4 rear bars were the same just new rubber parts. Rear of bar bolts on frame and bumper hits under frame 32 inchs forward.

will prater 01-24-2019 03:45 PM

Look at welding the tubes into the center housing. Depending on car weight and torque you can break the factory spot welds on a 12 bolt housing.

DG7050 02-21-2019 10:40 AM

If your in SoCal area talk to PMR racing. They have a chevelle stocker that works great. I crawled under the car and was amazed at what they were able to do with the factory set up.

ski_dwn_it 06-15-2019 08:08 AM

We spent many years racing a Chevelle and spent thousands of dollars. Only one system your will effectively work with these cars on small tires. You may have heard of the weibe suspension well ours built upon this system and improved some features.

Our 67 was 3850 and I'm 200 pounds. Car went 1.28 60ft with the rear wheels, 555ci 13.1 ALL motor engine. Stock 12 bolt with 3.73 gears on radial slicks. Car was like a zerox machine for 60ft times.

I build and sell these suspensions. Get in touch with me if interested. You will be much further ahead in the long run.

Here is our car.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/BNzy7MpMfawgBzZ96

sean1970ss 06-25-2019 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ski_dwn_it (Post 590665)
We spent many years racing a Chevelle and spent thousands of dollars. Only one system your will effectively work with these cars on small tires. You may have heard of the weibe suspension well ours built upon this system and improved some features.

Our 67 was 3850 and I'm 200 pounds. Car went 1.28 60ft with the rear wheels, 555ci 13.1 ALL motor engine. Stock 12 bolt with 3.73 gears on radial slicks. Car was like a zerox machine for 60ft times.

I build and sell these suspensions. Get in touch with me if interested. You will be much further ahead in the long run.

Here is our car.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/BNzy7MpMfawgBzZ96

You have any photos of your system?