CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Important if you run D-H/S or SA (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=65136)

Billy Nees 02-02-2017 11:53 AM

Important if you run D-H/S or SA

Someone working in the NHRA Tech Dept. in Ca. has recently allowed the 1968-71 Chrysler 340 cars to legally use the Edelbrock LD340 intake manifold.
Unless you want this to stand, please contact your NHRA Tech officials and the Tech Dept. in Ca. and let them know your opinions.
If they won't be realistic and reverse this, might I suggest that you request your own Edelbrock intake be legalized for your personal combo! But please try and get the LD340 removed first!

Mark Yacavone 02-02-2017 12:55 PM

Re: Important if you run D-H/S or SA

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billy Nees (Post 525718)
Someone working in the NHRA Tech Dept. in Ca. has recently allowed the 1968-71 Chrysler 340 cars to legally use the Edelbrock LD340 intake manifold.
Unless you want this to stand, please contact your NHRA Tech officials and the Tech Dept. in Ca. and let them know your opinions.
If they won't be realistic and reverse this, might I suggest that you request your own Edelbrock intake be legalized for your personal combo! But please try and get the LD340 removed first!

Billy, A 71 car uses a Thermo Quad ,doesn't it? Are they gonna allow a spread bore adapter too, ala Super stock?

Billy Nees 02-02-2017 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Yacavone (Post 525730)
Billy, A 71 car uses a Thermo Quad ,doesn't it? Are they gonna allow a spread bore adapter too, ala Super stock?

I don't know what to tell you about that Mark. All I know is, right now the intake is legal!

James L Miller 02-02-2017 01:34 PM

It might be hard to find an LD340 that hasn't had some porting or milled out for the TQ. I'm still looking for some 273 iron manifolds in case Billy gets the LD4B removed. I've had better luck finding the LD4B than the old iron units. Since a lot of combos get to run the Edelbrock heads, why not open most combos up to allow a Performer intake as well? At least those can be bought new and not butchered up already. Just my $.01. I can't afford to put in the full $.02.

Jim Hanig 02-02-2017 03:18 PM

Thier you go i think the 454 365 should get a edelbrock intake also,the EDL 7561 would much easier to find than the stock 287.

Jim Storms 02-02-2017 03:18 PM

Thought it was the 68-70 combo AVS carb

rick winchester 02-02-2017 04:54 PM

I guess nothing NHRA tech does surprises me anymore. I see aftermarket alum. heads allowed with hp. lowered not added. Look at engines with 71 hp taken off. Engines with alum. heads and larger carbs that sure as hell was never made. I don't know when it will ever end. NHRA feeds us sh#t and we keep on eating. Rick.

James L Miller 02-02-2017 05:16 PM

The LD340 is on the 1971 blueprint specs, but not the 1972 340.

I need to submit one of my W2 heads that I was told was factory installed on the "Tunnel Port 318" that came with an 850 Holley and .525" lift cam. Those are extremely rare these days. You had to have the secret option code, BS1. Only a few dealers even knew about it. Factory rated at 205HP due to the extremely restrictive log style 318 exhaust manifolds.

Billy Nees 02-02-2017 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billy Nees (Post 525718)

I can't say this enough!!! Don't just look at the post and complain. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, contact NHRA either by phone or E-Mail!
To put this into perspective, (Kenny, don't shoot me!) we're dealing with the "Progressive Liberals" of Stock Eliminator!

Chipper Chapman 02-02-2017 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Hanig (Post 525743)
Thier you go i think the 454 365 should get a edelbrock intake also,the EDL 7561 would much easier to find than the stock 287.

X2 I like your train of thought!

Tom keedle 02-02-2017 05:46 PM

deja vu.....;)

Jim Storms 02-02-2017 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billy Nees (Post 525757)
I can't say this enough!!! Don't just look at the post and complain. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, contact NHRA either by phone or E-Mail!
To put this into perspective, (Kenny, don't shoot me!) we're dealing with the "Progressive Liberals" of Stock Eliminator!

Sometimes people should only stick to sitting in there own drivers seat , and not attempt to sit in others.

Greg Hill 02-02-2017 06:08 PM

OMG, shades of AMC!

GTS340 02-02-2017 06:16 PM

Had to stop spectating and become a member. I happen to have this combination that the intake was approved for. I actually wrote NHRA the day I found out and I wasn't pleased either. I got my start 40 years in stock with a TRW Ritter and Weber engine.How things have changed. But honestly I never had to re-look at my engine spec sheets much til the last few years. I don't even know why this came about.
For the facts if anyone cares. It has to have the chrysler part number on it 3549884. Edelbrock made others I believe but took the number off after chrysler stopped selling them over the counter. So unless NHRA is going to allow the Thermoquad (1971 and up) a spacer the intake isn't going to work.
Take care,
Paul Haszlauer 7019

Jeff Teuton 02-02-2017 06:21 PM

I am trying to find documents on that manifold. There is a technical service bulletin that NHRA has the number and date for, but not the bulletin itself. That seems to be the key to this manifold. I think it has a Mopar number. In that era, the part number was usually one off of the casting number, usually the last digit in the number. It is not in the parts book in 1970, but the tsb was issued in 73 or 74 and would not be in the book anywhere. More as it developes.

Billy Nees 02-02-2017 06:26 PM

Jeff, it's listed in Galen Glovier's book as an "aftermarket" manifold.
Chrysler PN #3549884.

Billy Nees 02-02-2017 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Storms (Post 525762)
Sometimes people should only stick to sitting in there own drivers seat , and not attempt to sit in others.

And sometimes you should jump on horse and ride off yelling "The British are Coming!".

Jeff Teuton 02-02-2017 06:33 PM

Galon doesn't have everything. He was down here earlier to learn about Drag Paks. I doubt if he has all the TSB's issued because they were numerous. 40 something years ago is a while. I can get the TSB number if anyone is interested.

GTS340 02-02-2017 06:42 PM

Thank would be cool Jeff sure. At least G and H are safe now. No AVS 340 can get there. If I'm correct the cars out there running this combo. Well I know I would need my toes to count them all so who needed this was my question to NHRA. They told me they had been working on it for 6 months. No Dyno I just stuck one one. I'll take it out in two weeks here. My idle didn't change a bit. So far so good.

Mark Yacavone 02-02-2017 06:50 PM

I've been thinking here..
The 67-72 Pontiac cast iron 4 bbl. intake is getting kinda hard to find. I haven't seen one in at least 6 weeks. The E -Performer isn't any faster, but a lot easier to handle in teardown,..for us older gents.
Also there are no E-heads approved for 400's.
C'mon now...Fair is fair.
Those ol' Pontiacs don't run all that fast anyway..They need some help.
Now, who's butt do I need to start kissing?
Mr Pentastar, please step forward and help us out here.

MR DERBY CITY 02-02-2017 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billy Nees (Post 525757)

Bravo Billy, how about providing us with that e mail addy so I can give California a piece of my mind....This is a far greater accomplishment than when you discovered Bob Dennis and his BOGUS U/SA combo...I think we are going to make you an honorary Kentucky Colonel.....

Billy Nees 02-02-2017 06:56 PM

pcvengros@nhra.com
But let your DTD know also!

GTS340 02-02-2017 07:14 PM

I hear you Mark. The whole thing is wrong in my eyes as well but honestly the first thing I said was. How much does it weigh? The stock intake isn't that hard to find. Maybe real nice is hard. I already had plenty of those. My car was running fine and i was happy. So being 250lbs and I was running E/SA. The intake was about 20lbs lighter so now I might try D/SA. Possibly someone has some inside information here that I will find 20hp with this intake and by next year I'll be running C/SA. Probably not!

bubski 02-02-2017 07:26 PM

OMG !! sounds like the end of the world !! just like when the AMC's were about to rule class racing !! The days of having the correct parts and factors are long gone . the 283's with the bogus intake are ruling class racing as will these mopars !!! Everyone affected please don't march on Washington !! its already full of protesters !!! maybe go to a petting zoo and get some comfort food !! Im sure the AHFS will prevail and right this horrible injustice !!

bubski 02-02-2017 08:27 PM

Just in !! The hogan billet runner W2 manifold just approved and the Pontiac big chief cylinder head for all Pontiacs

Frank Castros 02-02-2017 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Yacavone (Post 525730)

Carter AVS is also spread bore.

ken robinson 02-02-2017 08:39 PM

WTF ...whats next another 3 tenth wack on the index kick in the teeth ....Billy , I would never try to shoot you your a better shot ....lol ....calls and emails done ....

James Perrone 02-02-2017 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ken robinson (Post 525791)
WTF ...whats next another 3 tenth wack on the index kick in the teeth ....Billy , I would never try to shoot you your a better shot ....lol ....calls and emails done ....

Easy Ken you guys got a 3 speed. Us nova guys get nuthin. Hell Nhra says Yenko nova wasn't made

Ed Fernandez 02-02-2017 09:38 PM

You think people are pissed at Trump. I'd love to see NHRA make Billy head of tech.
Yeeeeeeee haw.

Mark Yacavone 02-02-2017 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTS340 (Post 525784)
I hear you Mark. The whole thing is wrong in my eyes as well but honestly the first thing I said was. How much does it weigh? The stock intake isn't that hard to find. Maybe real nice is hard. I already had plenty of those. My car was running fine and i was happy. So being 250lbs and I was running E/SA. The intake was about 20lbs lighter so now I might try D/SA. Possibly someone has some inside information here that I will find 20hp with this intake and by next year I'll be running C/SA. Probably not!

Welcome to the forum, Paul.
For those of you who don't know Mr. Haszlauer ....he doesn't need any gifts from NHRA.

GTS340 02-02-2017 10:06 PM

Thank you Mark!

House of Darts 02-02-2017 10:26 PM

How far do you think Pandora's box has been opened? I started out with a blueprinted 440+6 with a 7" slick in 1972. I guess you'll need to go back to the NHRA constitution and read about the founding fathers too. Stock? Yeah! Right! Billy I really respect you but if you want to fight about something how about we all go back 40-50 years. Stock Eliminator at its best!

Dennis P Chapman 02-02-2017 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ed fernandez (Post 525793)
you think people are pissed at trump. I'd love to see nhra make billy head of tech.
Yeeeeeeee haw.

x2

Chuck Beach 02-03-2017 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Castros (Post 525790)
Carter AVS is also spread bore.

A Carter AVS is not a spread bore, I have run this combo in my 68 Cuda since 1978. For a thermoquad to work without a spacer you would have to machine this manifold. Also my car will still fit in G with this combo. Before you worry to much about this combo, which there aren't that many out there, you might want to take a look at the 91 Corvette which holds the G/SA record at 10.54 at 124 or the 73 Pontiac TA - 455 at 306 hp. If you think all this aluminum stuff helps so much (other than weight) then why is the 70 Duster with aluminum heads 2 hp less than with cast iron heads? The AVS 340 combo & the 383 only take a 1 hp hit with aluminum heads & be prepared to spend big $$$$ to make them legal. Wish I could use a Quick fuel carb or a 4 speed auto trans. Didn't powerglide combo's got a 3 speed, why can't I run a 4 speed auto? That would help way more than a manifold. Can someone tell me, what is stock about stock eliminator these days. Just sayin.

goinbroke2 02-03-2017 08:34 AM

Having a hard time finding those 4bbl intakes that were an over the counter option on 72-82 302's, should just let them run with a performer as well along with the 600cfm holley. Of course the hp will have to be lowered to 100-105hp to make it "fair".

(75 mustang at 2000# to fit U/SA?? that aught to set some records lol)

James Perrone 02-03-2017 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck Beach (Post 525808)
A Carter AVS is not a spread bore, I have run this combo in my 68 Cuda since 1978. For a thermoquad to work without a spacer you would have to machine this manifold. Also my car will still fit in G with this combo. Before you worry to much about this combo, which there aren't that many out there, you might want to take a look at the 91 Corvette which holds the G/SA record at 10.54 at 124 or the 73 Pontiac TA - 455 at 306 hp. If you think all this aluminum stuff helps so much (other than weight) then why is the 70 Duster with aluminum heads 2 hp less than with cast iron heads? The AVS 340 combo & the 383 only take a 1 hp hit with aluminum heads & be prepared to spend big $$$$ to make them legal. Wish I could use a Quick fuel carb or a 4 speed auto trans. Didn't powerglide combo's got a 3 speed, why can't I run a 4 speed auto? That help way more than a manifold. Just sayin.

Chuck you need a 4speed I will by the 3 rd pedal for you ! G/S looks better on your window

Chuck Beach 02-03-2017 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Perrone (Post 525812)
Chuck you need a 4speed I will by the 3 rd pedal for you ! G/S looks better on your window

James, how you doing? My car was an original 4 speed, it would be cool, thanks.

GTS340 02-03-2017 11:26 AM

One thought on this also. First hi Chuck I wrote in a bad why and your right there are maybe 5-8 cars this effects. In 1970 Chrysler sold this intake as a replacement. They didn't sell aluminum heads. Stock didn't come with roller rockers and the list goes on. But this intake was.
Also Chuck I should know better. Earl Blake's car is in my garage and the 68 Barracuda surely still runs 'G". Sorry to forget you on that. Actually not sure "D" is in trouble either. Trying to get my Dart down to 3010 lbs with me in it and still work might be difficult.

jimi 02-03-2017 01:57 PM

what makes anyone think that the edelbrock intake is worth hp? the factory cast iron intake is a pretty good piece.

Chuck Beach 02-03-2017 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimi (Post 525835)
what makes anyone think that the edelbrock intake is worth hp? the factory cast iron intake is a pretty good piece.

Bingo - we have a winner!!!