CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock Tech (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Best 9 inch tire? (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=67156)

SSGN 08-10-2017 07:27 AM

Best 9 inch tire?

Working on a 68 Chevelle BBC street/bracket car. Car makes 650 hp and should weigh in around 3800 lbs. The guy wants a small tire and is building the car to possibly turn into a stocker so he is putting all the parts in as if it were a stocker and see where it goes from there. What is the best 9 inch tire?

jimcornett 08-10-2017 09:37 AM

Re: Best 9 inch tire?

28X9 M/T Pro Bracket Radial. I just took a set off with 252 passes on them in 1 1/2 seasons. Really solid consistent tire.

partsbob67 08-10-2017 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimcornett (Post 541425)
28x9 m/t pro bracket radial. I just took a set off with 252 passes on them in 1 1/2 seasons. Really solid consistent tire.

x2!

Dan Fahey 08-10-2017 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimcornett (Post 541425)
28X9 M/T Pro Bracket Radial. I just took a set off with 252 passes on them in 1 1/2 seasons. Really solid consistent tire.

Concur

Myron Piatek 08-10-2017 12:06 PM

Years ago I made my choice based on what tire seemed most popular in the Stock class with some influence from who was running them. I chose Hoosier and never considered anything else since then.

I've only run their radials because I don't want to worry about swapping tires & back if I need to step up, or carry extras. Worked to get the car to work best with them and have been happy with their consistency. But bias ply are suppose to be more consistent on marginal tracks.

Lenny5160 08-10-2017 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Myron Piatek (Post 541435)
Years ago I made my choice based on what tire seemed most popular in the Stock class with some influence from who was running them. I chose Hoosier and never considered anything else since then.

I've only run their radials because I don't want to worry about swapping tires & back if I need to step up, or carry extras. Worked to get the car to work best with them and have been happy with their consistency. But bias ply are suppose to be more consistent on marginal tracks.

x2. I like the Hoosier, but had good luck with Goodyear for a few years also until they decided to make all of their tires light-weight. I got about 250 passes from my previous set of Hoosier radials.

If you get your car to work on the radials, I firmly believe you will have a GREAT car. I don't care how quick my car runs, and I will not run a bias tire on my Nova.

pfordamx 08-14-2017 04:10 PM

We are currently running pro bracket radials on our 10 second car. and they work really good. my only complaint is i miss getting to do real burnouts maybe thats a little a childish, but it was always part of the fun instead of now just get the water off and go which i'm sure is why they last so well your not melting them off in the burnout box. anyway the car is consistent and i think it 60fts better than a bias ply would, plus top end stability is just unmatched its like going to the grocery store.

Lenny5160 08-15-2017 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pfordamx (Post 541728)
my only complaint is i miss getting to do real burnouts maybe thats a little a childish, but it was always part of the fun instead of now just get the water off and go which i'm sure is why they last so well your not melting them off in the burnout box.

Personally, I think rolling out of the burnout box is the most fun part, especially if the car gets a little sideways. With the radial, that's the entire burnout! No more spinning the wheels sitting still.

pfordamx 08-15-2017 05:32 PM

I agree rolling out is probably the best part but you got be careful even how far and how much heat you put in them coming out of the box.

Larry Hill 08-16-2017 10:54 PM

I wonder how many racers have tested the tires back to back at the same track same day. For my car the Goodyear are faster and last longer. A tire will not cover up the need to work on the chassis. I don't know what it takes to hook a 1000 plus hp FS/XX car, those cars blow the tires off on the 1/2 change. I guess I know about low HP stockers, and that's about all.