CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock Tech (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   turbocharged quad-4???? (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=6039)

bill dedman 07-05-2007 01:00 AM

turbocharged quad-4????

Was there EVER a car sold by G.M. (of any brand, any year) with a turbocharged Quad 4 engine? I am trying to find out if such a car was ever sold to the general public.

Thanks for any info...

Bill

Mark Ruset 07-05-2007 09:31 AM

Re: turbocharged quad-4????

Bill I don't believe there was ever a factory produced turbo-quad4. I was a service manager for a Pontiac store for 20 years and I never saw one. But to be sure call the folks at SLP in Toms River NJ 732-349-2109. If anyone would know they will.

bill dedman 07-05-2007 12:21 PM

Thanks, Mark. I'll do that.

Appreciate the info!

Bill

bill dedman 07-05-2007 12:31 PM

Mark, the consensus at SLP Performance is.... "they are not sure."

That, from the three techs working today.

Hard question...

Thanks again. :)

Bill

rseibenick 07-06-2007 09:46 AM

I might be able to shed some light on this. I belong to a Quad 4 forum. Can email me at rseibenick @hotmail.com. Ron

bill dedman 07-06-2007 01:05 PM

Thanks, Ron; I'll do that!!!

Bill

FED 387 07-06-2007 06:14 PM

Try locating either Arlen Fadely or Paul Gentilozzi they worked/raced for Olds probably still have some connections at GM... Comp387

Chris Hill 07-06-2007 08:47 PM

Wasn't there a turbo skylark in 86 or 87? Just going by memory here, but we had an 87 Buick Service manual and I remember seeing a turbo skylark. Don't know if it was a quad 4 or not.

Didn't AJ Foyt set a closed course speed record in a turbo charged quad-4? I think the engine was done by Batton or McLaren, as I worked with one of the guys who did the engine.

bill dedman 07-07-2007 03:39 AM

Chris, I think you're right on the Foyt deal, but I think that was a one-off engineering exercise, not a production motor. I'll have to chack on the Skylark. I would bet it wasn't a Quad-4, though...

Thanks for the input.

Bill

bill dedman 07-07-2007 03:44 AM

FED,

Thanks for the advice and info. I wouldn't have a clue as to how to get hold of either one of those guys. This is not that big of a deal, anyway; I just was trying to determine the veracity of a story I heard about a Quad-4 with what appeared to be a "factory" turbo installation, that a guy saw in a junkyard. I don't believe there was ever a turbo offered in a production car with the Quad-4 motor.
But, I've been wrong before... :) Lotsa times......

Bill