CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   .90 Heads Up Class Racing Tech (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Transbrake woes (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=6275)

Bob Verwold 07-22-2007 10:52 AM

Transbrake woes

Transbrake holds sometimes and sometimes it doesn't. Powerglide with Transking brake. Switched cable, solenoid, button, doubled up bracket and welded it. Still having problems. Even tried spare transmission. Please help!

SC1448 07-22-2007 01:27 PM

Re: Transbrake woes

You may not be getting enough current (ampereage) to the solenoid from the delay box output terminal (assuming you're not using a relay in your brake circuit). You can have 12v showing on your voltmeter at the solenoid itself but that's not a guarantee that there's enough current there to operate the solenoid properly. Also make sure the wire from the box to the solenoid is heavy enough to carry the load demand of the circuit. Too small a wire gauge means increased resistance and aggravation factor. Don't forget about Ohm's law here.
Good luck....
-Don

Bob Verwold 07-22-2007 02:21 PM

Thanks Don.

Currently have 14 gauge wire approximatly 3 ft. long going to solenoid from delay box. Solenoid has 18 or 20 gauge on it. Don't know about Ohm's law. Will switch to 12 gauge wire. Will try anything at this point.

Bob

I do have a toggle switch inline so I can back up without holding the button.

crewchiefpro 07-23-2007 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Verwold (Post 35725)
Thanks Don.

Currently have 14 gauge wire approximatly 3 ft. long going to solenoid from delay box. Solenoid has 18 or 20 gauge on it. Don't know about Ohm's law. Will switch to 12 gauge wire. Will try anything at this point.

Bob

I do have a toggle switch inline so I can back up without holding the button.

Get rid of that, it is a problem. You don't back up for so long that you need one and it can be the source of these problems.

Mike Hedger 07-23-2007 10:37 AM

Is this a Trans King valve body with the inturnal shifer? If so I ran into this problem on a dragster I drove for a while, After the burnout you depress the TB button to backup and you think everything is OK when you put it back into low but you have to slow down and stop in Nutral put it into drive then put it in low stop in each gear for about one second and it worked fine after that. I put another button on the wheel so backing up would not activate the shift timer or the TS timers and never had another problem. I don't like the TK internal shift cause you really can't tell if it has shifted on not. With a solinoid shifter I can look down and see what gear it is in. Hope this helps, Mike

Bob Verwold 07-23-2007 01:26 PM

Mike,
Yes it is a Trans King valve body with internal shifter, on both transmissions, and have had trouble with both. Never had trouble with internal shifter. Unlike you, we're not allowed past the starting line. After burnout, I go into neutral to clean out motor. Then I jerk it back in low to make sure it's in low.

You're saying putting it in drive, waiting a second or two, then low gear, eliminates this problem? Is this normal with the Trans King?

I thought it was heat related and put a motorhome transcooler on it.

Thanks,
Bob

Bill Baer 07-23-2007 03:15 PM

Bob

I use the same trans king brake and have no problems with the brake itself, I did have have considerable problems with the brake not working consistently because I have a mismatched trans lever and shifter. Some times it would work and some times it would just let go when you stalled the converter. The problem was that the trans was inadvertently going into high which would release the brake. It took me five very frustriating weekends and a half dozen trans swaps to figure this one out.
Hope this helps.
Great Baer
3391SC/QR

Mike Hedger 07-23-2007 04:40 PM

After I stopped in high for a second it worked fine I just had to figure this out in the pits. I tried going from R to Low and hit the button till I found out what it needed to work. About ten tries to see if I could get it to fail and what I had to change to keep it from happining. Hope you get it figured out, Mike

Bob Verwold 07-23-2007 06:25 PM

I've tried it at the end of the track, at the ticket window, and numerous times back at the trailer, and it never fails to work except at the starting line. This has really been a bad year, lost a motor at Norwalk, missed four division races because I was waiting on new motor, and get it in Fri., Test and Tune Sat. and now this. Does it get any better?

Bob

Dave Goob Cook 07-24-2007 11:16 AM

Trans King Bob has passed away, I'd be thinking about getting a Coan or Griner valve body, if I were you.