CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Nostalgia Stock and Super Stock (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   Original hemi dart information (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=13002)

James L Miller 09-18-2010 01:47 PM

Re: Original hemi dart information

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlie A (Post 211424)
A homebuilder, Joe Ralph Thompson from Rison Arkansas, ran a red Hemi Dart. I remember there was also a PHR ( I believe) centerspread on it from a Texas race one year as a Pro Stock. I believe Gene Graham was the driver. It was set up at Sox and Martin. Don't know if it was a real one or a clone. I was a teenager and didn't know what a clone was.

I know Joe had a 1970 Dart he ran in PS. I own one of the AWB cars that Joe ran. He's still around as far as I know. I talked to him a year or two ago and still remembered how he setup a Hemi.

Paul Ceasrine 09-18-2010 04:15 PM

Charlie A. & James,

Joe Ralph Thompson
"JRT Racing"
Ran at the 1970 Indy Nationals, according to my Pro/Stock participant list.
I'm searching for earlier stuff.

Mark J,
Boch Dodge was also big into racing. In direct competition with Norwood Chevrolet out of Norwood, Mass.
No information on a possible 68 S/S car.
Also, Shapiro Motors out of Pittsfield, Mass got shut out in pursuit of a 68' Dart.

pc

Paul Ceasrine 09-19-2010 10:46 AM

Eddie,
Much on the fragmented information.
Someday, someone will put a complete book together.
There was a cost difference between the Dart and Cuda.
Approximate FACTORY cost to build the 68' Hemi cars was $3200.
Dealer cost $4204.88
Also, $4204.88 if the racer went to Michigan (Hazel Park or Madison Heights) to pick up the car.

Also, several issues with the car. Not a buy and race vehicle out of the box.
pc

Liteweight 09-19-2010 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Ceasrine (Post 211477)
Mark J,
There are (2) definte Hemi cars from the Syracuse, NY Region.
* Ed Miller's SS/B Barracuda "Syracuse Region Plymouth Dealers"
* Chuck McJury's SS/B Dart "Cicero Dodge" (Later converted to an automatic).

Wasn't completely sure if John Bullock got an original. He was
one of the original 65' Dodge Super/Stock owners too.
Sam Dell Dodge, Syracuse, New York was big into racing.

Paul

Paul
The Ed Miller SS/B Barracuda has been located in the Minnesota area. This car went through many phases, including being converted to a 69 car to appease Chrysler. It has been documented by Ed as well. It is currently in my shop & undergoing a complete restoration to it's original 68 "as raced" glory including the paint scheme & decaling. It had one of those small deck wings installed on it & 69 side markers when purchased a few years back.

Liteweight
Daryl

Rory McNeil 09-20-2010 01:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Ceasrine (Post 211641)
Eddie,
Much on the fragmented information.
Someday, someone will put a complete book together.
There was a cost difference between the Dart and Cuda.
Approximate FACTORY cost to build the 68' Hemi cars was $3200.
Dealer cost $4204.88
Also, $4204.88 if the racer went to Michigan (Hazel Park or Madison Heights) to pick up the car.

Also, several issues with the car. Not a buy and race vehicle out of the box.
pc

That sounds about right, we had a barbeque at the track Saturday night, and Dave Wren was there. We were talking about his recently re-purchased 68 Hemi Cuda that he bought new (#6 I believe he said). He picked the car up in the Detroit area, and that it was $4100 or 4200 at that time. Dave sold the car in 69, and supposedly the car sat in a barn or garage for almost 40 years, and has never been tubbed or caged. He showed me a photo of it, it`s white with a blue panel on the sides, with Cragar mags on it.
Dave also still has the same aluminum nose 63 Max Wedge sedan that he was runner up at the 68 Winternationals. Pretty cool.

mopar68 09-20-2010 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rory McNeil (Post 211815)
That sounds about right, we had a barbeque at the track Saturday night, and Dave Wren was there. We were talking about his recently re-purchased 68 Hemi Cuda that he bought new (#6 I believe he said). He picked the car up in the Detroit area, and that it was $4100 or 4200 at that time. Dave sold the car in 69, and supposedly the car sat in a barn or garage for almost 40 years, and has never been tubbed or caged. He showed me a photo of it, it`s white with a blue panel on the sides, with Cragar mags on it.
Dave also still has the same aluminum nose 63 Max Wedge sedan that he was runner up at the 68 Winternationals. Pretty cool.

From an email I received from then new owner of Dave's 'Cuda:

Saturday, February 5, 2005 9:52 PM

Just got back from NJ yesterday -- left on Monday from Ne. and got
back Fri. 8:00 AM.

While we were picking-up a 68 Cuda that I purchased, I took some pics of a 1968 AMX and a 69 Charger -- both ol' race cars. Thought I'd post them in case anyone recognized them. They've been there a LONG time. I'll post the Charger next -- Reed in Ne.

Here's a shot of what happens when the owner doesn't take care of building maintenance !!

The 67 Vette was a 427 tri-power/ 4-speed // the 68 SS Cuda is now here in my shop in Nebraska. It was Dave Wren's FIRST SS Cuda - been in this building since late 1969 after the owner bought the body from Sox & Martin. If you look in the S&M book at the picture inside their shop of the SuperBird, the Wren Cuda is right next to the Bird -- the original fenders and hood are still the that orange paint scheme and match the the Cuda in the picture.

Its a ruff car in some ways but has a lot of good points such as 90% of the TUFF to find parts are with the car. I have most of the engine parts here already incl. NOS carbs, etc. I already bought another body to chop so we can reskin the roof and quarters.
I'll post more later -- Thanks, Reed in Ne.

http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/2183/pa200187.jpg

http://img830.imageshack.us/img830/6059/pa260015.jpg

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/9277/p1270074.jpg

http://img838.imageshack.us/img838/9069/p1270075.jpg

http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/8295/smshopk.jpg

M68

Paul Ceasrine 09-20-2010 07:57 AM

Daryl,
Thats great on the Ed Miller car. Glad to see it ended up in the right hands.
I'm sure it will receive the proper care. Ed had a great paint scheme too.
Are you going top follow that paint scheme with the 'Syracuse Region
Plymouth Dealers" on the rear quarter.
What # car was that. Had to be one the first ones out there.
Saw him at Dover and New York National with that car.

Rory,
Dave Wren's car. Not too many people saw that car. How the heck did it end up on the East Coast for 40 years

M68,
Great photo's. Hood and fenders, amazingly still retaining the orange color.

Paul

JSLRacing 09-20-2010 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liteweight (Post 211752)
Paul
It is currently in my shop & undergoing a complete restoration to it's original 68 "as raced" glory including the paint scheme & decaling.

Just curious about restoring one of these Darts/Cudas that has been tubbed and you go back to stock during a restoration?

What do you have to do to replace the cut out material? Cut the floor and rails out of a donor car and fit it back in the tubbed car?

davezinn 09-20-2010 09:26 AM

there is a ton of cool stuff in that S&M picture! looks like both Superbirds, the Barracuda and look at the rollbar in the Duster. it looks like too there is a '70-up Shaker scoop on the roof of the Barracuda?

the intake in the top of the cart looks interesting too, medium rise tunnel ram maybe?

thank you for the pictures:)

Dave

Rory McNeil 09-20-2010 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Ceasrine (Post 211829)
Daryl,
Rory,
Dave Wren's car. Not too many people saw that car. How the heck did it end up on the East Coast for 40 years

M68,
Great photo's. Hood and fenders, amazingly still retaining the orange color.

Paul

Paul, Dave told me after he sold the car to S&M, some guy bought it, took the front fenders off it, and let it sit.I had assumed that it was in a building with a roof however!