CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Kevin helms new crew chief at dsr (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=68911)

blkjack 02-05-2018 08:41 PM

Kevin helms new crew chief at dsr

http://www.competitionplus.com/drag-...=socialnetwork

Rat Raceway 02-05-2018 09:47 PM

Re: Kevin helms new crew chief at dsr

Congrats to Kevin!

With DSR funding and the deep pockets they have, that will make her car a force to be reckoned with...:eek:

2018 will be a great year for the Factory Stock fans!

HR9121 02-05-2018 09:49 PM

Congrats to Kevin, I would say he makes them an immediate contender in the Showdown.

Jim Bailey 02-06-2018 10:02 AM

Well deserved Kevin !!! This will be an exciting series in 2018. With all the new, as well as the old entries, expect performance levels to really step up as the teams push the supercharged engine and nine inch tires to the limits. Look for attrition and parts availability, or lack there of, to play a factor in the championship! Pretty exciting stuff .....

Dave Ribeiro 02-06-2018 10:11 AM

*Way to go Kevin , Congrats on your Job with DSR ...They picked the Right guy for this Job ... Good Luck to you in 2018 ....

Mike Pearson 02-06-2018 12:49 PM

They should also put Kevin behind the wheel of one of those cars. His driving ability is second to none.

Mike Jones 02-06-2018 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blkjack (Post 555249)

PS + 2019 = PM/FS
Mike A114

HR9121 02-06-2018 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Pearson (Post 555302)
They should also put Kevin behind the wheel of one of those cars. His driving ability is second to none.

I thought the same thing Mike!

jmcarter 02-06-2018 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Jones (Post 555303)
PS + 2019 = PM/FS
Mike A114

Yep, exactly. This makes Pritchett a player in FS, nothing like having a four time world champ in your corner. Kevin is a class act and great racer. Or is it five time? If not it should have been.

Chuck Beach 02-06-2018 05:49 PM

Kevin's driving is second to none, he should be given his own car to drive ... congrates on the opportunity as a crew chief.

Ron Ortiz 02-06-2018 06:52 PM

Rumor has it that Kevin was offered a shot at Top Fuel. Had a great light on his first hit, kept it straight, but tapped the brakes at the finish line, they didn't like that.

Way to go Kevin, now get DSR to put you behind the wheel of that FS car, that is where you belong.

Ron Ortiz
U/SA just setting up for the next round.

Superfan1 02-06-2018 07:05 PM

Congrats Kevin, Leah is now a legitimate contender. Last October at the Indy Fall Classic, Geoff Turk showed what this combination is capable of (8.02@173+).

jim hensley 02-06-2018 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck Beach (Post 555327)
Kevin's driving is second to none, he should be given his own car to drive ... congrates on the opportunity as a crew chief.

Looking down the road a ways, Kevin as the driver may be the natural outcome of this.

Kevin McKenna 02-06-2018 07:37 PM

As great as Kevin is behind the wheel, better chance we see another DSR Nitro driver in a second Showdown car.

Andys dad 02-06-2018 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin McKenna (Post 555338)
As great as Kevin is behind the wheel, better chance we see another DSR Nitro driver in a second Showdown car.

Exactly - already been named.

His name is ....

Ron

G Schenck 02-06-2018 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck Beach (Post 555327)

If only Kevin had nicer looking legs, he might have a chance.

Greg

blkjack 02-06-2018 08:52 PM

Re: Kevin Helms new crew chief at DSR

Doesn't the DSR announcement bother anyone? That is, big money is already making inroads to sportsman style racing. What does this spell for the future of factory racecars for the well-off retiree?

jmcarter 02-06-2018 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blkjack (Post 555345)
Doesn't the DSR announcement bother anyone? That is, big money is already making inroads to sportsman style racing. What does this spell for the future of factory racecars for the well-off retiree?

Good point, if Force hires Barton now then you’ll know the end is near before it really got legs.

HR9121 02-06-2018 10:46 PM

Kevin has decent looking legs they're just alot shorter and hairier than Leah's!

Ed Wright 02-07-2018 11:04 AM

Congratulations Kevin!! Well deserved! DRS did good!

James Perrone 02-07-2018 11:23 AM

Quote:

The money is already to big for us common folks. No issues
They are separated from sportsman have there own class. Good Luc Kevin

Kevin McKenna 02-07-2018 02:03 PM

Quote:

Not in the least. It adds even more credibility to an already exciting class. Besides, scan the current entry list. There's already a handful of players who can go pound-for-pound with DSR when it comes to financial resources.

It's awfully hard to legislate what someone can spend on a project in terms of time, effort, and dollars. For now, I'm just thrilled we have 28 cars on the Gainesville entry list and it will probably by 32 (or more) by the time we're done.

HR9121 02-07-2018 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin McKenna (Post 555403)
Not in the least. It adds even more credibility to an already exciting class. Besides, scan the current entry list. There's already a handful of players who can go pound-for-pound with DSR when it comes to financial resources.

It's awfully hard to legislate what someone can spend on a project in terms of time, effort, and dollars. For now, I'm just thrilled we have 28 cars on the Gainesville entry list and it will probably by 32 (or more) by the time we're done.

I tend to agree with Kevin I don't think there are alot of guys in the Shootout races on a shoestring budget.

Mike Schwartz 02-08-2018 01:57 AM

DSR has some bucks. It wouldn't hurt to tender an offer to Danica Patrick and see if she has the spare time to stay involved in some low-stress racing post-NASCAR..

Mike Pearson 02-08-2018 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Schwartz (Post 555472)
DSR has some bucks. It wouldn't hurt to tender an offer to Danica Patrick and see if she has the spare time to stay involved in some low-stress racing post-NASCAR..

That would be a cool idea. NHRA is definitely more female friendly than NASCAR. It would bring more media attention for sure for the class. The class looks real popular right now with good car count. It will be interesting to see how many cars they get in the future. I am betting it will take an 8.20 run to get in the program

Mike Jones 02-08-2018 11:28 AM

I think when the pro stock folks start to get onboard and they relax some rules, (10 in. tire?) the race to the 6`s begins. It is just what the sport needs. Factory marketing involvement and performance to put the audience on their feet.
Mike A114

Kevin McKenna 02-08-2018 01:26 PM

Quote:

Interesting thought but I think I'd rather see Dale Jr or Jeff Gordon or Tony Stewart if we're going that route. (Besides, the current DSR driver actually wins races).

As for the suggestion about changing tire rules. No way. The 9 inch tire is a big part of what makes these cars special.

My 2 cents

Mark Faul 02-08-2018 01:55 PM

Quote:

I'm not so sure many people would want to have her lined up in the other lane! LOL
Congrats Kevin on the new position.

Jesse Kershaw 02-08-2018 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin McKenna (Post 555507)
As for the suggestion about changing tire rules. No way. The 9 inch tire is a big part of what makes these cars special.

My 2 cents

I agree 100%. I definitely would not go bigger but I know there are racers and manufacturer reps that support a bigger tire so I wouldn't be shocked if it changed.

Todd Hoven 02-08-2018 03:31 PM

To change from the 9” tire would be a crutch for the other teams that can’t get down the track consistently. The 9” tire makes it a tuners game and not all about the power and money. Leave the class the way it’s layed out and let them race. Long as tech is applied evenly, it should be a great competitive season and anybody’s race

Todd Hoven 02-08-2018 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Jones (Post 555490)
I think when the pro stock folks start to get onboard and they relax some rules, (10 in. tire?) the race to the 6`s begins. It is just what the sport needs. Factory marketing involvement and performance to put the audience on their feet.
Mike A114

There are almost 30 cars entered now for Gainesville. Sounds like they are doing quite well. Why relax any rules?

Jim Bailey 02-08-2018 06:08 PM

The single biggest mistake NHRA could make would be to change the tire rule. That's the single greatest (wallet) equalizer available. And I don't wanna hear any safety BS, deal with it and tune accordingly.

Ed Carpenter 02-08-2018 08:59 PM

If KB Racing or Gray Motorsports gets involved NO ONE running the class now can compete with that kind of money.....and if you think these guys wouldn't dominate I got some ocean front property in my back yard I'll sell you......I hope it stays the way it is with the same rules.....congrats to Kevin great deal for him.

Todd Gross 02-08-2018 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed Carpenter (Post 555557)
If KB Racing or Gray Motorsports gets involved NO ONE running the class now can compete with that kind of money.....and if you think these guys wouldn't dominate I got some ocean front property in my back yard I'll sell you......I hope it stays the way it is with the same rules.....congrats to Kevin great deal for him.

Actually Gray does have their name on an entry for the Gators driven by Randy Taylor. At least it sure looks like the same Gray.
Also , but not entered, is the Patterson/ Elite entry that Erica Enders was driving last year. Then throw in the Stanfield name and AJ and you have to think the Pro Stock and ex Pro Stock community is up for participation.

Jesse Kershaw 02-08-2018 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed Carpenter (Post 555557)

I agree it would be tough if not impossible to overcome teams with a proven record of success and pro budget but I also think there are ways to help narrow the gap. For instance keeping the powertrains based on the latest production helps by creating a new base line for everyone whenever there's an improved street car engine. It also keeps costs down with production based parts (head castings for instance are 1/10th the price OEM vs current PS), and it helps keep the OEM's and dealers interested by staying relevant to what they sell.
There is a huge market for fast street cars so the parts developed here can trickle down to street cars with that engine architecture.

blkjack 02-08-2018 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Jones (Post 555490)
Mike A114

Six second stock bodied cars on small tires is not what this sport needs. All it will take is one bad top end accident and you will see restrictions put on these cars. Doesn't anyone remember the carnage from Bo Butner's top end crash when he had the Pro Charger Super Modified (AA/SM)? They killed that combo pronto!

GUMP 02-08-2018 09:54 PM

A claimer rule on blowers might help keep the cost down.......

jmcarter 02-08-2018 10:16 PM

Funny scenario, Danica drives for DSR (or Force) and Anderson tries his hand at with Summit backing...they line up in the final with amazing track conditions and potentially the first seven second run on the table. Anderson says “no way she is going to win and run the first seven”. Which she promptly does. Anderson goes into orbit, maybe he can still hitch a ride in a Tesla?

Remember, life really is stranger than fiction.

Rat Raceway 02-08-2018 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMan (Post 555562)
Actually Gray does have their name on an entry for the Gators driven by Randy Taylor. At least it sure looks like the same Gray.
Also , but not entered, is the Patterson/ Elite entry that Erica Enders was driving last year. Then throw in the Stanfield name and AJ and you have to think the Pro Stock and ex Pro Stock community is up for participation.

The Patterson/Omaha Track car is for sale on race junk. They barley made the field at a few races and can’t compete is why they are dropping out is my guess...

Mike Schwartz 02-09-2018 02:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin McKenna (Post 555507)
Interesting thought but I think I'd rather see Dale Jr or Jeff Gordon or Tony Stewart if we're going that route. (Besides, the current DSR driver actually wins races).

My 2 cents

When I proposed Danica, I had the full 7?-race series in mind. She could do local appearances around the race weekend to promote her lifestyle programs.

NASCAR stars at Indy is doable. NASCAR is at Darlington on Sunday. Ford, Chevy and MOPAR are involved in one level or another, so the manufacturers ought to be interested in providing driver fees. Have them practice and get licensed in advance. Run the FS final on Sunday and bring back eight of the competing cars on Monday. Seed two drivers each by their NASCAR make: Chevy>Camaro, Ford>Mustang, Toyota>Challenger & two wild cards, or else just do a random draw for the cars.